Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:35 AM

Default How rough will it be for a Sex Offender in Prison

Let me sum up the last 15 years in a few sentences. I was arrested for date rape in 2001 and spent 6 months in county and then took a deal and was released on 10 year probation + SO registration. I was able to get a Writ of Habeus Corpus in 2010 and a new trial granted by a miracle.

I will not take a plea deal again unless it is for a non sex offender crime. But i am expecting 2-20 in Texas, as a sex offender if found guilty this second time around by a Jury. I figure the Jury will be harsh in texas for date rape. I have heard sex offenders do not fair well in prison. Is it true that no one will believe me, that it was a crazy ex-girlfriend. Are there a lot of guys like me in jail. Will everyone assume im a chester? I had no problems in jail, is it gonna be anything like jail
The Following User Says Thank You to texasjustice1 For This Useful Post:
Bruce DeMolli (01-10-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2015, 09:41 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,299 Times in 12,322 Posts

Most times "one size fits everybody" as far as sex offenders go. Keeping your business to yourself is the best solution, and only try to explain what actually happened after somebody else finds out your charges (expect that they eventually will too). There are large numbers of SOs in prison, hands on, hands off, whatever, but getting other inmates to recognize the differences is usually impossible, everyone is a "baby raper". If you can develop a group of friends, that will help to minimize any problems you might encounter from the "my felony is better than your felony" vigilantes.

Since there are so many SOs in prison now, many prisons reduce trouble by assigning high concentrations of SOs to the same prison, and more is definitely better. Inmate etiquette, how you interact with the other inmates and staff, is still the biggest factor in how you will be treated in return. Avoid the problem prisoners and staff members as much as possible. Here is a helpful link.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=592193
Old 01-26-2015, 11:09 AM
My ❤ is in Cali Moderator

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Donation Award 

A lot of it is how you conduct yourself. Like fbopnomore said, many prisons tend to try to put SO's together for their safety. I know that is how it was at my ex-husband's prison.

That being said, you may get tested. My ex was not willing to fight, so he paid extortion for 2 years until he was moved to the honor dorm. I felt no sympathy, as he had molested my young daughter for over 6 years.
CDCr kicked him out of the SHU, YAY!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sammy's Girl For This Useful Post:
Bruce DeMolli (01-10-2019), fbopnomore (01-26-2015), Peppermoose (04-21-2015), tr4pst4rs (01-13-2019)
Old 01-26-2015, 01:35 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,104 Times in 1,200 Posts

Yeah, a lot of it is going to depend on where you are housed. Even many jails now throw accused sex offenders in special tanks/pods, along with informants/state-witnesses, so they are somewhat protected from general population.

But especially when you first get to a new prison, before you are classified, you will probably be mixing and mingling with everyone. Best to try to keep a low profile until you can get a feel for how other people in your housing area feel about sex offenders in general before you volunteer too much.

It's been said that as many as 50% of all convicts have been sexually abused as children, so understandably there is little tolerance for that sort of offense by those who don't like to be reminded of their own victimization. Men, especially, are taught to always be strong and stand up for themselves. Most don't like to be reminded of moments in their life when they were most weak and vulnerable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Bruce DeMolli (01-10-2019), tr4pst4rs (01-13-2019)
Old 02-21-2015, 02:45 AM

Ive been there myself, and I agree with what everyone else has said. Keep your head down and try to get on an honor dorm or somewhere else where fucking up fucks up your privledges and release date. They tend to be a lot less trouble for everyone in them, regardless of charge.

In a lot of ways prison will be easier for them than once they get out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vrax For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2015, 11:51 AM
Reformed Ex-Felon

You're in Texas and if you end up in a Texas prison, you're fortunate. I say "fortunate" because, while going to prison is never fortunate, Texas is pretty good at ensuring that other prisoners don't know why you're there. So as long as you keep your mouth shut, you'll be all right.

You might consider also requesting Safe Keeping when/if you go in. Texas has a pretty good system for protecting inmates who are either highly susceptible to victimization, or have been convicted for unpopular crimes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jameyson1972 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2015, 02:50 PM

In New York to hang out with a certain table they will want to see your papers on why you're in prison . If you refuse it's a given that you're a SO . You're not separated unless you ask to be separated or they deem so for your safety.
Peppermoose (04-21-2015)
Old 01-11-2019, 11:13 AM

I am a correctional officer.

We have a lot of SOs in my prison. For the most part they are left alone. They usually hang out together, sit at particular tables, watch certain TVs etc. I know they have problems and some inmates will try and extort them for money or force them to do certain things for "protection", like clean their cells or common areas, things like that.

Don't get me wrong. SO do have a higher chance of being on the wrong end of a beat down. But in my joint usually they did something to deserve it. (at least in the eyes of the guy who beat them up) usually it involves some sort of lack of respect.

Every prison is different though and in some places SOs can't even get onto the yard without ether taking a beating (or worse) or being forced to "check in"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-11-2019), sidewalker (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:36 AM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 652 Posts

My son was in general population but his conviction never came up. He kept his mouth shut & never asked anyone about their reason for being there. Maybe he was lucky but he was left alone. He wasn't friendly or unfriendly & was accepted. He talked to all different people & didn't hang out with any 1 person or group. People inside just want to get through their time. They don't need to be your friend.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-12-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 07:53 PM
BLEEDING THE BLOCK

well, from all the prisons i have been in, ALL SO's are regarded less of people. Even the homosexuals are regarded as people. As a past inmate, I avoided all SO's and Homosexuals. No1 cares the real reason for your charge or personality. In TX about 90% of inmates will not tolerate SO's in their housing area. I witnessed many get the very raw end of the stick. But thats life in TDCJ. There are some Units in TEXAS that house SafeKeeping and Protective Custody people. Best of luck to you. I know woman can be treacherous as well (not all) .
The Following User Says Thank You to tr4pst4rs For This Useful Post:
Bruce DeMolli (02-27-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 12:21 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,364 Times in 534 Posts

In AZ, they have some separate yards for SO. But some SO are still put into general population. (I don't know what determines that.) What I have heard from many general population inmate/families of inmates, is that if they know a SO has been housed they will beat him down and demand that the SO ask for a transfer. Many of the yards still require that inmates show their papers. If the inmate doesn't do so they assume the inmate is a SO or a snitch. Both get treated the same.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4pst4rs View Post
well, from all the prisons i have been in, ALL SO's are regarded less of people. Even the homosexuals are regarded as people. As a past inmate, I avoided all SO's and Homosexuals. No1 cares the real reason for your charge or personality. In TX about 90% of inmates will not tolerate SO's in their housing area. I witnessed many get the very raw end of the stick. But thats life in TDCJ. There are some Units in TEXAS that house SafeKeeping and Protective Custody people. Best of luck to you. I know woman can be treacherous as well (not all) .
Thanks for your input. So does TDCJ even have SO pods/units.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:17 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,634 Times in 1,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce DeMolli View Post
TDCK has special units for people in the sex offender treatment program. But there are other people on those units. There are also sex offenders on every other unit in gen pop if they aren’t in a program.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:22 PM
BLEEDING THE BLOCK

Post some

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce DeMolli View Post
yes they do, but due to so many cameras nowadays they let them roam free but still they get beat up and extorted. majority try to mind their own business tho.
The Following User Says Thank You to tr4pst4rs For This Useful Post:
Bruce DeMolli (03-05-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 01:55 AM
Donation Award 

Default What will you assume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjustice1 View Post
Let me sum up the last 15 years in a few sentences. I was arrested for date rape in 2001 and spent 6 months in county and then took a deal and was released on 10 year probation + SO registration. I was able to get a Writ of Habeus Corpus in 2010 and a new trial granted by a miracle.

I will not take a plea deal again unless it is for a non sex offender crime. But i am expecting 2-20 in Texas, as a sex offender if found guilty this second time around by a Jury. I figure the Jury will be harsh in texas for date rape. I have heard sex offenders do not fair well in prison. Is it true that no one will believe me, that it was a crazy ex-girlfriend. Are there a lot of guys like me in jail. Will everyone assume im a chester? I had no problems in jail, is it gonna be anything like jail
Will you assume that they are all "chesters?" And then will you assume that the the "chesters' are all guilty?
Old 02-28-2019, 02:23 AM

Texasjustic! May I ask why you want to go to court again after you have already done your time and just need to register? I’d just like your insite on this, Thanks

OWL
Old 02-28-2019, 07:18 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,620 Times in 14,853 Posts

Just a note here.....the original post was from 2015.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Bruce DeMolli (03-05-2019), Itshardtowait (02-28-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Just a note here.....the original post was from 2015.
LoL goteeeem
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce DeMolli For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (03-06-2019)