Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Mental Health
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Mental Health Pleae use this forum for all mental health related issues dealing with the prison system.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:30 PM

Default Mental illness (traumatic brain injury) TDCJ Tarrant county

My friend has a traumatic brain injury. Are there Any special units for him or does he get placed in general population with everyone else? Also, will he get his proper medication.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2019, 08:18 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 34,175 Times in 15,719 Posts

I wish I cold answer your questions about TDCJ My Mr has a TBI from an accident 1 1/2 years ago. While we haven't hit that "2 year" its-as-good-as-its-gonna-get milestone yet, I can't see that it'll get any better in the next few months. He's home on parole & the accident was after he was released, so I'm not sure how it would be handled were he incarcerated.

No one has used the term "mental illness" in association with his TBI. I do know that there are cognitive issues. I also know that I would be beside myself with worry 24/7 were he to be incarcerated again.

Do you know what type meds your friend is taking now? I don't think any narcotic (pain pills) will be forthcoming while he's incarcerated. Is he still on blood thinners? Is he taking meds for the anxiety, frustration & anger? We've tried a few different ones, and found that Effexor works best.

Your friend will need someone with a POA and HIPPA to try to make sure that he does get what he needs.....it won't be easy, and I can't say with certainty that they would even be successful in overseeing his care while incarcerated

Good luck to him, I hope his journey is a safe & speedy one.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Last edited by patchouli; 02-24-2019 at 08:20 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Bruce DeMolli (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 06:30 AM

Default TBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
I wish I cold answer your questions about TDCJ My Mr has a TBI from an accident 1 1/2 years ago. While we haven't hit that "2 year" its-as-good-as-its-gonna-get milestone yet, I can't see that it'll get any better in the next few months. He's home on parole & the accident was after he was released, so I'm not sure how it would be handled were he incarcerated.

No one has used the term "mental illness" in association with his TBI. I do know that there are cognitive issues. I also know that I would be beside myself with worry 24/7 were he to be incarcerated again.

Do you know what type meds your friend is taking now? I don't think any narcotic (pain pills) will be forthcoming while he's incarcerated. Is he still on blood thinners? Is he taking meds for the anxiety, frustration & anger? We've tried a few different ones, and found that Effexor works best.

Your friend will need someone with a POA and HIPPA to try to make sure that he does get what he needs.....it won't be easy, and I can't say with certainty that they would even be successful in overseeing his care while incarcerated

Good luck to him, I hope his journey is a safe & speedy one.
Thanks for your input. His TBI has resulted in a number of mental illnesses. They range from insomnia, major depression disorder, extreme anxiety, manic, bipolar, and multiple personality disorders. He's also suffering from cognitive deficiencies as you mentioned. He has very sensitive vision, and hearing. He also has no sense of smell.

He takes about 7 different meds 2-3 times a day. Effexer is one of them but they are changing it to Lexapro. Other than that he doesn't take pain pills.

I'm really worried he won't be handled appropriately in terms of unit placement and medication.

I'm so stressed out.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:09 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Can you get copies of his medical records from his neurologist? Or have them sent to his attorney & TDCJ (and/or wherever he's being housed)? This where the POA & HIPPA come into play.

My Mr has no sense of smell or taste Before the Effexor the frustration, anger & anxiety was displayed quite often, at least once a day...if not more. We look for "lost" items on a daily basis multiple times. He needs a T-shirt that says: "Did you check your pockets?" LOL Its not funny, but its to the point that I'd rather laugh than cry....I'm tired of crying

I'm not familiar with TDCJ specifically, but Ii would think that they have medical facilities and/or units. Hopefully, if TDCJ is made aware of his issues and needs, he'll be placed in one of those medical units. Does he have a POA? Are you willing to go that route? If so, be sure to have him sign a HIIPA as well.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Bruce DeMolli (02-26-2019), Itshardtowait (03-18-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 02:13 PM

"did you check your pockets" lol hilarious.
TBI is the invisible illness. The person looks normal. But inside that brain there are serious issues. Therapy can only go but so far. TBI has no cure. I wish your Mr well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce DeMolli For This Useful Post:
patchouli (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 04:35 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Thank you, I appreciate that I wish your friend well, and I hope for a safe & speedy journey for him. He's lucky to have you as a caring friend.

I wish I could better answer your questions, but truth be told if TDCJ is anything like KY DOC, they are not known for being consistent in their approach / reaction... a lot rides on what facility and the compassion (or lack thereof) of the Staff at that facility.

patchouli, PTO Admin