Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Texas Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Account Closed

Default Not allowed contact w/my MWI now that I'm a TDCJ employee?

Not sure if this belongs in the TX forums or not. But I just got hired as a nurse at TDC unit 70 miles from the one my MWI is at. I was informed that I must be removed from his visitation list. No phone calls or visits as long as he's a guest of the state and I work for them. My heart is broken. But where I live, this is the only job that pays a living wage, and is hiring. Nursing jobs are hard to come by all over the country right now. He's o.k. with it because mine and my kids' stability is critical to him. But I may not even be allowed to write to him anymore.

Does anyone know how this works or have any experience with it? I knew him before I even moved back to Texas. I know there's got to be a' way that I can at least write to him?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2012, 09:00 PM

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 15,289 Times in 3,764 Posts

If they say "no contact", I suppose they mean "no contact".

Not trying to be harsh but why even take the job if you think you can't abide by their rules?

It's a crappy spot to be in and I'm sorry that you have to go through this but surely you had to at least suspect that applying for a job at the DOC might result in something like this...
Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 PM

Thanked 1,096 Times in 598 Posts

I'm sorry your goin thru this! There are other's in simular situations to yours and i'm sure they will come along... but it seems once they say no contact that's exactly what they mean which inludes writing to him.

I think it's prolly best u posted here since ur mwi then other's will come along in same situation and be able to offer their stories to you.

I kno it stinks especially since ur not even at the same facility he's residing in... it's their world and their rules tho ...I'm glad they didnt fire you. cuz even being at a differ facility there are other's that have lost their jobs and not been allowed any contact...
now we still wait for a move!!!!
i love n miss mi papi like crazy!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lovemipapi For This Useful Post:
brokennglass (01-25-2012), Erics4ever (01-26-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 09:05 PM
Account Closed

They didn't say no contact. My neighbor is a CO at the same facility where I got a job. I've applied at every hospital and nursing home in our area. I live in a very rural part of E. Texas. I had no choice, I have 2 daughters and no family or other support system save the friends we're living with till I'm on my feet. I had no other option. The benefits are incredible and the pay is a living wage. Otherwise, I'm in a very precarious position. No one wants to hire an LVN if they know she's about to take her boards to become an RN b/c they expect me to quit when they wont' give me an RN wage after I pass my boards. Nobody wants to hire a brand new graduate RN. This was the only option I was offered and I had to take it.

This stated, my neighbor told me..no contact whatsoever. The DON that hired me told me...name not on visitation list, and that's it. Which equates to no visits and no phone calls. But NOT the elimination of letter writing. All I'm asking for is the ability to continue to write to him. The DON said it woudln't be an issue long as I never go to his facility. I don't want to push it with her and ask her to re-iterate the policy in more detail as again, I need this job. And I thought I'd read about other situations similar to mine but couldn't find them when I did a search. Hence my post. Sorry...should've clarified initially.

And I WAS aware that this would result..but I didnt' realize it would mean we'd never have contact...even through letters...again. I assumed that it would naturally mean no visits which we were both expecting as my MWI was the one who told me that he worries to deatha bout me working in corrections but knows what the economy is like here and is willing to forego visits if it means I can get on my feet. Just had no CLUE that it would result in absolutely no contact whatsoever again - because I'd read about similar situations where contact wasn't totally removed all together. Now I'm getting conflicting answers,and y'all are pretty smart so I figured I'd make a thread and hope someone had a better answer for me.

Last edited by brokennglass; 01-25-2012 at 09:09 PM..
Old 01-25-2012, 09:30 PM

Thanked 1,096 Times in 598 Posts

it might be that you may need to ask her to clarify if your allowed to write or not, and express you don't wanna jeperdize your job, and that's why your double checking on if you are allowed to write him...since they didnt seeem to specify no contact...cuz it wuld suck to write and then lose your job, and jus as much it wuld suck to not write while infact u were allowed to write!

hang in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokennglass View Post
They didn't say no contact. My neighbor is a CO at the same facility where I got a job. I've applied at every hospital and nursing home in our area. I live in a very rural part of E. Texas. I had no choice, I have 2 daughters and no family or other support system save the friends we're living with till I'm on my feet. I had no other option. The benefits are incredible and the pay is a living wage. Otherwise, I'm in a very precarious position. No one wants to hire an LVN if they know she's about to take her boards to become an RN b/c they expect me to quit when they wont' give me an RN wage after I pass my boards. Nobody wants to hire a brand new graduate RN. This was the only option I was offered and I had to take it.

This stated, my neighbor told me..no contact whatsoever. The DON that hired me told me...name not on visitation list, and that's it. Which equates to no visits and no phone calls. But NOT the elimination of letter writing. All I'm asking for is the ability to continue to write to him. The DON said it woudln't be an issue long as I never go to his facility. I don't want to push it with her and ask her to re-iterate the policy in more detail as again, I need this job. And I thought I'd read about other situations similar to mine but couldn't find them when I did a search. Hence my post. Sorry...should've clarified initially.

And I WAS aware that this would result..but I didnt' realize it would mean we'd never have contact...even through letters...again. I assumed that it would naturally mean no visits which we were both expecting as my MWI was the one who told me that he worries to deatha bout me working in corrections but knows what the economy is like here and is willing to forego visits if it means I can get on my feet. Just had no CLUE that it would result in absolutely no contact whatsoever again - because I'd read about similar situations where contact wasn't totally removed all together. Now I'm getting conflicting answers,and y'all are pretty smart so I figured I'd make a thread and hope someone had a better answer for me.
now we still wait for a move!!!!
i love n miss mi papi like crazy!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lovemipapi For This Useful Post:
Erics4ever (01-25-2012), OneOfMany (01-26-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Account Closed

Thanks. She was really nice. She told me that of the 2 reasons she picked me, 1 of them was my honesty about my situation. As soon as she asked I immediately told her about our relationship. She said it wasn't a big deal as long as I removed myself from his visitation list. I'm going to see if I can find the policy verbatim online. I just kinda liked talking to y'all instead of being hurt and sad all by myself while I figured it out. Thanks again for being so helpful everybody. <3
Old 01-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 1,683 Times in 954 Posts

Im sorry to hear that girl. I hope things get better for you.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,807 Times in 937 Posts

I'm sorry you're faced with this dilemma. But if I were in your shoes, it would be a no brainer. Keep the job. It's got great benefits, decent pay and MANY people would LOVE to have your position. Like you said, RN jobs are hard to come by right now. Count your blessings that you got this job. Now, I don't know our mans history, when or if he's getting out. But if he is in fact getting out someday and he truly loves you and cares about your and your daughters' well being....he will wait until he is done with the DOC world and continue your relationship then. But pease, realize just how lucky you are to have your job and stick with it

Sent from Nikkol's iPad using PrisonTalk
Old 01-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Account Closed

The job is going nowhere. Period. It's here to stay. He's perfectly ok. with that and HE'S the one that told ME to go work for TDCJ after he initially said that he can't stand the thought of me doing corrections nursing anymore b/c he worries so much.

I had cancer when I met him. I was in a horrible, awful situation. I spent the 1st semester of my RN bridge program living in my car in Idaho of all places. Where negative temps in the winter are normal. Just a ridiculously stupid circumstance. He's gotten me through when nothing and no one else could. i wouldn't even be an RN without him holding me up and keeping me going.

We both understand that taking care of my daughters is number 1 and it's a non-negotiable no-brainer. The job stays. He'll wait forever. It just hurts to think I may not speak to him until he's paroled. Which means I'm going to bust my ass to do whatever it takes to help that happen faster. The hiring process is long, and I was already supposed to go see him this weekend. The nurse mgr. said nothing has to change until my paperwork/drugtest/background check are complete. So I'm going to visit every weekend from now on until I'm not allowed to anymore. It just breaks my heart into a billion pieces to think that I may not even have his letters anymore. Thanks for your wisdom. Your'e super sweet.

Last edited by brokennglass; 01-25-2012 at 10:25 PM..
Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Account Closed

And I WAS SO EXCITED that I got hired! haha. The nurse mgr. interviewed me in the no contact visit room, and they were doing shift change report for the CO's when she told me that she'd picked me. And I jumped up, hollered, started crying and hugged her and everybody in the other room laughed at me. The benefits are crazy wonderful and I'm so ecstatic. I've struggled like all of us have, for so long. To know I'm finally going to make a living wage was the best feeling I've had in so long. I am fully aware of how incredibly blessed I am. And I KNOW, as preachy as it sounds, that the Lord has ordered my steps. He gave me B. (my MWI) he gave me this job. He gave me all of the awesome that's happening right now and He's going to see it through. I know I won't lose B. Just the thought of being without him even moreso now, hurts tremendously.

Last edited by brokennglass; 01-25-2012 at 10:21 PM..
Old 01-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 4,535 Times in 2,021 Posts

I would have never thought that RNs would have a hard time finding a job.'

They are begging for them here in East Tennessee. Begging for most any kind of nurse.

So, to see at least 2 of you all say that RNs can not get a job, my mouth is on the floor.

Anyway, enjoy your new job.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:09 PM

It is standard that if you work with inmates in any form "technically" you are not suppose to have contact with any inmate anywhere. If someone was to find out find pics anything you could loose your job. I mean I've heard people getting around it but its a risk. Sorry your going through this.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:54 PM

Lol thats good 

You need a job and you need contact with your man! Best of luck to both of you! Im in LPN school now in NJ and its TOUGH!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Banned

Thanked 1,807 Times in 937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy
I would have never thought that RNs would have a hard time finding a job.'

They are begging for them here in East Tennessee. Begging for most any kind of nurse.

So, to see at least 2 of you all say that RNs can not get a job, my mouth is on the floor.

Anyway, enjoy your new job.
It is hard to believe....most people would think that anything in the medical field would be a great career choice. After all, there will always be sick people. But in some states, EVERYONE is going to school to be a medical assistant, an LVN, CNA or RN. So now we have too many nurses and not enough jobs to house them all. At least here in CA where I live, that's how it is. I'm a surgical tech, and when I started 5 years ago, the need for RNs was high. A friend of mine went to nursing school. Out of 16 people in her class, only 3 ended up with a full time position. 2 years after graduating, she was STILL looking for a job. And she graduated top of her class. She finally landed a job with Kaiser and is doing good. But to wait 2 years based on the info she was given that she was almost "guaranteed" a job was a real let down.

And to the OP.....I know its hard to think of having no contact with your guy I'm sorry you're sad. But hang in there. Things will work out for you

Sent from Nikkol's iPad using PrisonTalk

Last edited by NikNak88; 01-26-2012 at 12:33 AM..
Old 01-26-2012, 08:27 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 4,535 Times in 2,021 Posts

You all need to move to TN then, there are many RN jobs.

Here is a link to local hospital...

http://www.wellmont.org/Careers/Job-Search.aspx

Old 01-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Ashmari3

Im an LPN awsome on going back for your RN Hopfully doing that soon myself. Have you tried homecare? And I would think a nursing home would still hire you especially since your about to take your boards for RN? But idk for sure. Hope everything works out for you! It really sucks that you have to go through all this .
Old 01-26-2012, 09:14 PM

U need to talk to the warden @ da facility to see if he will approve u having visits with ur LO cuz ive seen plenty of nurses workn for doc & visiting offenders.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:18 PM

Geez what a dilemma! I do hope that it's just a "no visitation/call" thing and not a "no letter" thing. My guy is really good about knowing the policies of TDCJ and I can ask him about this if you want.

Good luck with your new job and this situation!
Erics4ever (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 01:34 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordosGirl View Post
Geez what a dilemma! I do hope that it's just a "no visitation/call" thing and not a "no letter" thing. My guy is really good about knowing the policies of TDCJ and I can ask him about this if you want.

Good luck with your new job and this situation!
yes, please please ask. I actually even emailed the guy that runs the gritsforbreakfast blog. He told me that TDCJ is SERIOUSLY cracking down on this kinda thing. But he didnt' know for sure. I DID however, find PD22 which states:

Quote:
Failure to Provide Notification of Offender Relationship - Violation Level 2:
An employee is required to provide written notification to the Duty Warden or
Department Head immediately upon becoming aware of any one (1) of the following:
• The employee has a present relationship or had a past relationship with a current
offender that involved direct interaction with the offender;
• The employee had a past acquaintance with a current offender that involved regularly
planned or scheduled indirect interaction with the offender (e.g., high school classmate);
• The employee has a present or had a past relationship with a current offender’s
immediate family member (see following definition) involving direct interaction;
• The employee’s immediate family member (see following definition) has a present or
had a past relationship with a current offender involving direct interaction;
• Any activity prohibited by Rule No. 42 (a, b, c or d) between another employee and an
offender; or
• Any change in a previously reported offender relationship and the nature of the change
(e.g., an employee previously reported that an offender was an immediate family
member’s old boyfriend and then the immediate family member begins dating the
offender again; an employee previously reported an ex-spouse is incarcerated and upon
the offender’s release to parole, the Court grants the offender visitation rights with the
employee’s child).
NOTE: An employee shall provide written notification even if the relationship is an
exception to Rule No. 42a. The written notification (e.g., IOC) shall include the
offender’s name, TDCJ number, type of relationship, length of relationship and type of
interaction being requested by the employee. The Warden/Department Head shall
indicate “approved/denied/partially approved” and maintain the notification in the
employee’s unit/department human resources file.
Examples of direct interaction include, but are not limited to, dating, former in-law,
personal correspondence and visits to home residence.
An immediate family member, as defined for the purpose of Rule No. 42b, includes a
spouse, child, parent, brother or sister.
(01/09)

PD-22 (rev. 12)
Attachment A
Page 48 of 66
42c. Continuation/Establishment of Offender Relationship that Jeopardizes Security or
Compromises the Employee (other than cohabitation or sexual misconduct) -
Violation Level 2:
An employee is prohibited from continuing or establishing a relationship with an
offender, or an offender’s family member, if the relationship jeopardizes or has the
potential to jeopardize the security of the Agency or compromises the effectiveness of the
employee.
Evidence that a relationship would have the potential to jeopardize the security of the
Agency or compromise the effectiveness of the employee would include, but not be
limited to, a relationship that is not an exception to Rule No. 42a and involves any one (1)
of the following: (a) correspondence with an offender; (b) offender visitation; (c) non-jobrelated visits to an offender’s home residence; (d) non-job-related visits to the home
residence of an offender’s family member; (e) putting money into an offender’s Inmate
Trust Fund (ITF) Account; or (f) the introduction of contraband and/or granting special
privileges as a result of a personal relationship with the offender, an offender’s family
member or a current or previous associate of the offender.
NOTE: A relationship with an offender who would be an exception to Rule No. 42a in
and of itself does not jeopardize the security of the Agency or compromise the
effectiveness of the employee. However, if it is determined there is evidence that an
employee, through such a relationship, has potentially jeopardized the security of the
Agency or compromised the effectiveness of the employee (e.g., inappropriate
correspondence); the employee shall be subject to disciplinary action
HOWEVER, there's ANOTHER one that says:

I can't find it now. But we must be married or blood related, have already established the relationship prior to my employment, and have reported it per TDCJ policy outlined elsewhere..and then we can see each other if the warden approves. Otherewise, we can't have any contact, nor can I have any contact with his family either, until I cease working for TDCJ, and then there's still a 24 month wait.

So I'm STILL confused on this.

As for the nursing, it's the economy that's the problem..as well as politics. Because of state budget cuts, and policy changes at the federal level (something called healthy people 2020 is the main thing that directs trends in health care..before that it was healthy people 2010)....that's why nurses don't ahve jobs. The federal gov't no longer covers lots of stuff under medicare like basic medications and inpatient hospital stays. even home nursing is being drastically cut, Couple that with people who have NO business in nursing, who simply got into it because they heard nursing is a stable job that's never affected by economic changes...suddenly all going to school for the money they think we make...then add medicaid cuts to THAT... and you end up with ZERO jobs for nurses. CNA's can get jobs faster than I can.

I'm currently doing home health, and as I type this I just got home from work. 2 hours after my shift was supposed to start b/c I drove 25 miles to the home where the patient's mom decided once she found out where I lived, that I don't live close enough for her comfort and turned me away at the door. Home health is not stable and it's own kind of hell. I've been an LVN for 3 years. And honestly, jobs are becoming more scarce every day thanks to our law makers. SO, because of all this....

TDCJ was my absolute LAST option. But I HAD to do it. Adding insult to injury, I JUST QUIT SMOKING. BUT EAST TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER AND MOTHER FRANCES HOSPITAL..BOTH OF THE HOSPITALS HERE...NOW TEST FOR NICOTINE AND IT'S SO SENSITIVE THAT IT CAN DETECT NICOTINE USE FROM OVER A MONTH AGO. AND I WAS TURNED DOWN FOR THE ONLY GRADUATE NURSE POSITION THEY HAD OPEN IN THE ER. BECAUSE I FAILED THE NICOTINE TEST

JESUS TAKE THE WHEEEEL! I'm to the point now that I'm down to nothing. The market is flooded with all kinds of new nurses and I'm so desperate for work until I start with TDCJ, I'm about to apply for foodstamps. Imagine that. An RN (almost) on foodstamps. Go figure. To make it worse, I can't even take my boards until I can make enough to pay for them, and I CAN'T! I GRADUATED ALMOST 2 MONTHS AGO!

1 way or another, even if we have to get married and not tell anyone just so we aren't taken from each other, I'm not going to lose him. The warden where he's at is REALLY REALLY kind and nice. So I'm not worried about our visits being denied b/c he thinks we got married jsut to get around the rule. I've just been through too much, just like we all have. And I can't handle losing him on top of all of it. I refuse. TDCJ be damned.

Last edited by brokennglass; 01-27-2012 at 01:38 AM..
Old 01-27-2012, 02:28 AM

I reallyyyyy really wish you and him the best of luck it scares me to think what will i be faced with here in NJ when i graduate LPN school and continue on to my RN! god blesss you and your family!

Amber & Ramon ;; the day you find someone who walks not infront or behind you, BUT beside you, you kno youve found true love <3 6.28
The Following User Says Thank You to AmberJunior612 For This Useful Post:
brokennglass (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 02:32 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberJunior612 View Post
I reallyyyyy really wish you and him the best of luck it scares me to think what will i be faced with here in NJ when i graduate LPN school and continue on to my RN! god blesss you and your family!

Amber & Ramon ;; the day you find someone who walks not infront or behind you, BUT beside you, you kno youve found true love <3 6.28
Amber, you're gonna be ok home health typicaly hires brand new LPN's right out of school with no problem. And NJ tends to spend quite a bit more on medicaid than southern states do. So if nothing else, you can get into that. you can do this! I started school when I was 29 with nothing but a bible college diploma beyond h.s., and a single mom with 2 daughters and no support system whatsoever. I'm now 32, finished my associates and just about to start my BSN online and will be done with that in 1 year. It's SO HARD. But if I can do it I SWEAR you can. If there's anything I can help you with holler at me till the day is long and I'll be here.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:35 AM
Account Closed

I just re-read both policies. The way it works is, we have to be related by blood or marriage to continue our relationship. Otherwise, we can't have any contact until I no longer work for TDCJ - and then it's a 24 month wait, and an approval from both something called the DRC and the warden is required. He's 3g. He won't be paroled before that. So, that's that.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokennglass

Amber, you're gonna be ok home health typicaly hires brand new LPN's right out of school with no problem. And NJ tends to spend quite a bit more on medicaid than southern states do. So if nothing else, you can get into that. you can do this! I started school when I was 29 with nothing but a bible college diploma beyond h.s., and a single mom with 2 daughters and no support system whatsoever. I'm now 32, finished my associates and just about to start my BSN online and will be done with that in 1 year. It's SO HARD. But if I can do it I SWEAR you can. If there's anything I can help you with holler at me till the day is long and I'll be here.
Thank you soooo much. LPN school is ROUGH i am a certified cna and phelbotomist and i cant find a job anywhere.. I work in a factory right now 7 days a week plus school. Its hard but i know i can do it... Ill take a job ANYWHERE when i graduate to get some experience and a foot in the door... Im only 21 & no kids ... Everyone tells me im lucky but i feel old ... I guess cause i have so much going on... PTO helps me alot just by reading others posts ... My man still has 7 years left unless his appeal for re sentencing goes thru...so i have plenty of time to worry about school & focus on me... & hes 100% supportive . God bless u and the kids... I dontthink i could do work n school if me and ray had kids b4 he went in..

Old 01-27-2012, 02:41 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokennglass View Post
1 way or another, even if we have to get married and not tell anyone just so we aren't taken from each other, I'm not going to lose him. The warden where he's at is REALLY REALLY kind and nice. So I'm not worried about our visits being denied b/c he thinks we got married jsut to get around the rule. I've just been through too much, just like we all have. And I can't handle losing him on top of all of it. I refuse. TDCJ be damned.
Just to clarify on the above, I don't mean trying to get around rules or something. I mean, I'm frustrated and out of options and wishing there was some magical way they'd understand and happy ever after and crap. I tried to edit it once I realized how terrible that sounded, but too late. We were approved for contact visits SPECIFICALLY because he's so well behaved and the warden thought well of me or he said he did to get me to never write to him again. They're super super nice at his unit. If they'd just let the warden decide instead of this ridiculous rule being the deciding factor, I wouldn't be in this situation. I'd give the world if there was something I could do to change it.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Account Closed

so, I was so upset over t his that I prayed. HARD. Once again I'm not attempting to be preachy so if I offend anyone I'm so sorry. I read about Hannah in the bible in 2nd Samuel. Specificaly, the prayer she prayed after taking her new baby to Shiloh. So I did what Hannah did, and got on my FACE almost literally to the Lord and just told him to do whatever he wanted but begged him to see my heart and not take away my best friend in the whole wide world.

I prayed until I had peace, and then applied for a bunch of jobs. I got a call at 10 for an interview, got hired immediately, and now have a job as a nursing supervisor at a nursing home in the next town over. It pays more than TDCJ, and other than the state retirement, the benefits are better and 100% paid for by the company except insurance copays. I start Tuesday. Right on.