Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OKLAHOMA > Oklahoma Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oklahoma Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Oklahoma prison & jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Global Tel Link Lies & terrible service

Please see the following email I sent to a service rep from Global Tel Link and also a copy to the associate director of DOC. I'm anxious to know if those of you who have long distance calls on the new Global Tel Link system are actually only paying $3.60 per call or if that is just for the first minute? If any of you have received a bill yet, I would really like to know. You can see the other thread I started re: contacts for phone service complaints for more background on problems with Global Tel Link's service.

Dear J'me Overstreet,

I am pasting in an email I sent to Craig Chapman at GTL, with whom I have been corresponding regarding problems in the phone service on calls I am receiving from Union City Community Correctional Center. The part I would like to direct your attention to is the portion regarding my bill. I have also pasted in your email to Lynn Powell at OK Cure at the end, regarding phone rates on this new service.

I would like an explanation as to how you can possibly justify doubling the phone rate that I pay for a local call? Under the old service, it was $2.15 for every 15 minute call and now it is $4.31. Per your letter this is more than a long distance call to anywhere in the US.

The courtesy of a reply would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Mr. Chapman,

I wanted to let you know after a brief improvement, once again it took seven calls last night for me to be able to get the recording to recognize that I was accepting the call. The problem seems to occur on the calls where the recording begins before I answer the phone. When I answer the phone, the recording has already started and those are the occassions when I am unable to get the call connected. My husband says that he dials the number and he immediately hears the recording start. Normally he hears it ring and he can hear me answer. He says that when he does not hear the phone ring or hear me answer, but instead immediately hears the recording begin, those are the times we cannot connect the call. Also, we still have this one second delay.

I have another problem that I don't know if you can help me with, but I am hoping you can give me a contact to speak to. The first and second week of this new phone service I dailed "9" during the recording to see what the maximum cost of the call would be. The recording says the maximum cost was $2.42. It said NOTHING about that being for the first minute and additional charges for each additional minute. However, I received my bill on Friday and I see that each 15 minute call is costing me $4.31. I am very, very angry. This is exactly double plus 1cent more than the old phone service cost for a 15 minute call. When my husband called that night I again pressed "9" to see what the recording said and this time it did say $2.42 for the first minute plus 13 cents for each additional minute. When my husband heard that he was extremely angry as well, so I was not imagining it that the recording was now different than it was the first two times I listened to it. I called the billing service to tell them that I wanted credit for all the calls for which I was cut off, of which there are many. Any call on my bill that is less than 15 minutes are calls on which we could not hear each other or he could not hear me and we had to start over. Even the calls where we could connect but not hear each other I am being charged $2.42. They refused to give me any kind of credit. She gave me a toll free number for GTL but I wanted to ask you first if there is anyone you know in the billing department that might be of help to me.

I must tell you, I am extremely disappointed and frustrated and sort of humiliated by this entire experience. I feel I have been lied to by your company via the recording telling me I was paying less than I actually was. Not to mention I am now paying double for inferior phone service. I have no other choice and I am used to being taken advantage of by the corrections system, I've been dealing with them for a long time, but it never gets any easier to accept. They told us the rates would go down overall, but I was willing to pay a little more for local service knowing that all the other people who have to have long distance service were getting a break, but paying double is asking just a bit too much.

Thank you again, for your time and any help you can give me.

Most Sincerely,

Ms. Powell: I am responding for Director Jones regarding the rumors you are hearing about the phone rates going up. For the majority of offenders the phone rates will be drastically reduced when we enter into our new agreement on December 15, 2007. The current phone call rates run approximately $7.00 for 15 minutes. Under our new agreement, a 15-minute call will cost $3.60 and that is for anywhere in the U.S. So, the only time that an offender might experience a rate higher than $3.60 is if they are making a local call. That would apply to offenders, for example, who are housed at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary and are speaking to family who reside in McAlester.
For the majority of our offenders, they are not housed in a city/town where their family actually resides so their phone calls have been costly as they were charged high rates for long distance. We expect the majority of offenders to experience much lower rates with the new agreement. If I may provide you with any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
J’me Overstreet, Associate Director
Administrative Services – OK DOC
Jme.overstreet@doc.state.ok.us
405-425-2721

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2007, 03:36 PM

I wish my calls were $4 for 15 min; mine are $20 for 15 mins and thats logical seeing as I am in MD; but yea GTL has the worst customer service and they are extremely rude; ever since the phone changed from CBS to GTL i have had a lot of problems; i hope you get things straightened out with them!
Old 10-30-2007, 08:12 PM

I have called and complained upon occasion about having to hang up or getting cut off. I asked for a credit and they refused. They gave me some lame story about it was a problem with the facilities monitoring equipment. The bottom line on this is: Take it or leave it. Call or don't call. They don't care. This is a money thing, like everything else when it comes to corrections. I wouldn't mind my phone money being spent on programs for the inmates, but we know that is not the case. I don't know what is the answer. I know that I am going to be about $200 a month richer for being away from this system. I can hardly wait!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 09:11 PM

Against my better judgement , I put 25 on pre-paid through GTL.. We got 2 phone calls out of that.. I don't know what the deal is..
Old 11-07-2007, 02:41 PM

I also found this. Evidently, many people are not happy with GTL. I did not realize that correctional billing must bill for GTL as well as evercom and several others. No wonder they screw things up.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...Off0238094.htm
Old 12-31-2007, 12:07 AM
Shaun's Wifey 2005

I have been cheated by GTL for the last 2 months and I have yet to receive credit for the calls they over-charged me for. But they finally made good on making the calls at my husbands' prison one set rate under $4. The new call rate was suppose to start 12/15, but didn't start until after Christmas. I am happy for a relief from high phone bills.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:02 AM

GTL phone service that terrible?!? Geez lilith $25 for two phone calls? is that for the 15 or 30 minutes? The rates went down and the cost for a 15 minute phone call is still set at $3.60? Can anyone verify that? Also can I set up a prepaid acct on my c-phone?

Last edited by guvokikam; 09-25-2008 at 09:08 AM..
Old 09-26-2008, 10:00 PM

My experince with GTL has evidently been diffrent than what I'm reading here. Customer service has been very helpful & patient with my qeustions. I set up a prepaid acct & it was nearly a month before I recieved that 1st call. The reason it took so long was due to getting his call list updated & approved. I've had my prepaid acct for nearly 3 months now & have not had any problems at all. I'm paying about $4 a call.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:17 AM
The 1 he cant ever let go

Well, I have a cell phone so I had to set up a prepaid acct, and I'm not for sure how much the calls were, but we also had problems with connecting. Sometimes when I would answer, the recording would already be going, and other times it would say "...A collect call from...." and pause for about a minute almost. Then after all that, I would accept it, and I heard it click on, but we couldnt hear each other for a few seconds. It really got on my nerves! Now he is in OK county, and they use CTI, and when I noticed the money on my acct went by WAY TOO FAST, I asked them how much i was being charged a call, they said $9!! NINE FREAKIN DOLLARS!!!! That's ridiculous! And the minimum amount I can put at a time is $50. And I dont see why it's so much, b/c it's not even long distance.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:36 PM
My promise was TILL DEATH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkltaylor View Post
Well, I have a cell phone so I had to set up a prepaid acct, and I'm not for sure how much the calls were, but we also had problems with connecting. Sometimes when I would answer, the recording would already be going, and other times it would say "...A collect call from...." and pause for about a minute almost. Then after all that, I would accept it, and I heard it click on, but we couldnt hear each other for a few seconds. It really got on my nerves! Now he is in OK county, and they use CTI, and when I noticed the money on my acct went by WAY TOO FAST, I asked them how much i was being charged a call, they said $9!! NINE FREAKIN DOLLARS!!!! That's ridiculous! And the minimum amount I can put at a time is $50. And I dont see why it's so much, b/c it's not even long distance.
Holy crap!!!! CTI charges you $9 for local collect calls?? We use them because that is the company that LCF uses and our calls are the same as GTL's prices of $3.60. They suck... I have never had to set up a prepaid account until now. I have always had my collect calls billed thru my local phone company and GTL never had any problems with that. Than one day about a week and a half ago my husband can't call because there is a block that has been placed on my line. Not from At&t but from CTI. So I called and do you know they said they block all lines after they have reached a $45 maximum on the local phone bill. I said well i know that is a bunch of lyin BS cause I've been gettin calls for almost 3 months now with no problems and we have done tripled the $45 per month maximum every month. anyways it boiled down to me having to set up a prepaid account after being coned that I would only have pay a certain amount and then ended up spending 6 dollars shy of $200 to be able to get that blasted block removed. I'll tell you what ladies and gents. I am very grateful for being able to receive calls because believe me I have done my time with not being lucky enough to get a call but I seriously can't wait until I NEVER HEAR "You have a collect call from.... an inmate at the ..... facility. to accept dial 3" grrrrr, I thought i resolved this angst but i guess that bkl you just brought it to the surface again where I obviously needed to get it off of my chest. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:06 PM
The 1 he cant ever let go

LOL no problem That's what I usually do is listen to everyones rants & raves & help the best I can! That is BS tho that they put a block on your line. If it wasnt for prepaid, I wouldnt be able to talk to him b/c all I have is a cell. Although I need to see if there is something I can do about how much I pay b/c that is ridiculous! And $50 goes REALLY fast!!!! When he was at LARC i was being charged $3.25 I believe, so I have NO idea why its $9 at OK county. I live in Lexington, and there is NO WAY that its long distance from OK county. But they just want all the money they can get & they will do whatever it takes to get it i guess!!!!