Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > PRISON PEN PALS > Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk General talk about prison pen-pals. Please do not place ads in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-07-2018, 10:51 AM
jordan321's Avatar
jordan321 jordan321 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 298
Thanks: 102
Thanked 201 Times in 126 Posts
Default Red Flags?

Hello everyone,

Recently my brother has finally started receiving and talking to the inmates he sent letters and Jpay emails too.

There's one i'm not sure about. My brother laid out the "rules" in the first email, nothing more than a friendship, he can't offer money or anything like that, JUST someone to talk to.
He email back, that he was glad to have someone to talk to & told him a little about himself and why he's in there and stuff like that.

Well he now continues to make passes at my brother, even though my brother has told him, he's not available and is a friend only and that's all that will come out of it. This guy is pushing for phone calls, and he tried getting my brother to send him his address as well.

He hasn't asked for money, but implied that he's doing everything on his own, so stamps are worth a lot to him to be writing my brother.


Does this bring up any red flags for anything? Or is it just me?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 08-07-2018, 12:07 PM
maytayah's Avatar
maytayah maytayah is offline
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: England Uk
Posts: 7,216
Thanks: 6,730
Thanked 9,503 Times in 4,006 Posts
Default

Hi , so your brother has a penpal who is pushing the boundaries? I would say if your brother has set boundaries and this guy is not respecting them or trying to push them, its time to move on.
Perhaps he sends one more email to establish the boundaries, friendship only , no money and no personal details. If he continues to push matters then call it a day.
__________________
"Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again." Nelson Mandela.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (08-07-2018), jordan321 (08-07-2018), marco1969 (08-28-2018), MizzyMuffling (08-27-2018), Tinker8ell55 (08-28-2018)
  #3  
Old 08-07-2018, 12:11 PM
Marseille's Avatar
Marseille Marseille is online now
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: South Dakota, USA
Posts: 1,754
Thanks: 656
Thanked 3,430 Times in 1,086 Posts
Default

Talking about money struggles while stopping far short of asking for money is the #1 hustle for inmates playing the game. The pen pals feel good about sending money because “he never asked for anything” while the inmate takes in cash because he didn’t NEED to ask.

So between that and pushing for more intimate contact (phone calls) I’m going to say he should probably move on from this particular inmate.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Marseille For This Useful Post:
FeelingOld (09-02-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (08-07-2018), jordan321 (08-07-2018), marco1969 (08-07-2018), maytayah (08-07-2018), miamac (08-27-2018), Minor activist (08-07-2018), MizzyMuffling (08-27-2018), Nickel Timer (08-29-2018), WeepingWillow (08-30-2018)
  #4  
Old 08-07-2018, 01:56 PM
jordan321's Avatar
jordan321 jordan321 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Arizona
Posts: 298
Thanks: 102
Thanked 201 Times in 126 Posts
Default

Thank you both I will let my brother know what you both said.
If anything at least he has a little bit of a warning.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-27-2018, 08:29 PM
david92506 david92506 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California, Riverside County
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marseille View Post
Talking about money struggles while stopping far short of asking for money is the #1 hustle for inmates playing the game. The pen pals feel good about sending money because “he never asked for anything” while the inmate takes in cash because he didn’t NEED to ask.

So between that and pushing for more intimate contact (phone calls) I’m going to say he should probably move on from this particular inmate.
I've had female inmates tell me how hard it is and they need money for this and that - but they never ask me for anything. I didn't realize that was the #1 hustle for inmates playing the game.

Thank you for pointing that out.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to david92506 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (08-28-2018)
  #6  
Old 08-28-2018, 10:44 AM
maytayah's Avatar
maytayah maytayah is offline
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: England Uk
Posts: 7,216
Thanks: 6,730
Thanked 9,503 Times in 4,006 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by david92506 View Post
I've had female inmates tell me how hard it is and they need money for this and that - but they never ask me for anything. I didn't realize that was the #1 hustle for inmates playing the game.

Thank you for pointing that out.
Hi there ,unfortunately pen pals are big business in prison. Some will blatantly ask for money and gifts and others will try a longer game. Telling penpals they are hungry or need shoes and never ask directly but try and sow the seeds so the penpals think its their idea to help out.
Others play a mean game of manipulating penpals with fake promises of relationships , children and marriage all of these things designed to get a penpal to financially support them.
Just watch the games but remember not all penpals are scammers some are happy with just friendship.
__________________
"Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again." Nelson Mandela.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (08-28-2018)
  #7  
Old 08-28-2018, 02:26 PM
Rigora Rigora is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 119
Thanks: 58
Thanked 194 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan321 View Post
Hello everyone,

Recently my brother has finally started receiving and talking to the inmates he sent letters and Jpay emails too.

There's one i'm not sure about. My brother laid out the "rules" in the first email, nothing more than a friendship, he can't offer money or anything like that, JUST someone to talk to.
He email back, that he was glad to have someone to talk to & told him a little about himself and why he's in there and stuff like that.

Well he now continues to make passes at my brother, even though my brother has told him, he's not available and is a friend only and that's all that will come out of it. This guy is pushing for phone calls, and he tried getting my brother to send him his address as well.

He hasn't asked for money, but implied that he's doing everything on his own, so stamps are worth a lot to him to be writing my brother.


Does this bring up any red flags for anything? Or is it just me?

People who don't respect boundaries probably never will, and it could easily become a given an inch - take a mile, situation. Your brother just needs to be persistent with sticking to the ones he has set and I think he will be okay!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rigora For This Useful Post:
jordan321 (08-28-2018)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I think I'm seeing red flags SherilynfromMin Husbands & Boyfriends in Prison 9 03-27-2012 02:40 PM
New MWI here. What are some Red Flags I should look out for? rickysgirl1375 Met While Incarcerated 7 10-24-2011 07:43 PM
When red flags aren't red flags allmb General Prison Talk 22 11-01-2010 05:42 PM
Green Lights, Yellow Flags, Red Flags Marri Husbands & Boyfriends in Prison 4 06-22-2007 07:51 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:22 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics