Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Legislation & Laws
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Legislation & Laws Discuss and learn about pending legislation or changes in laws that affect various prisons and institutions

Old 10-21-2011, 01:27 PM
gj07

Default Sen. Webb's Bill Did NOT Pass

In case any of you guys did not hear this yet, Senator Webb's Bill for a committee to review the complete prison system DID NOT pass. The vote was held yesterday. Four republicans voted with the Democrats for this bill, they were: Sen. Brown from MA, Sen. Graham from SC, Sen. Hatch from UT, and Sen. Snowe from ME. We were advised to thank all the ones that voted for this and to let the ones that did not, know of our disappointment.

They needed 60 votes to pass and only 3 votes were needed. One of the big fighters against it we were told by message from Sen. Webb was Sen Hutchinson from Texas.

People those of us on this board are many. Why are we voting these people in office that care nothing about this problem? Everyone let's be informed of who is fighting this problem and who is not. Please thank your representatives that voted for it and let's let those that did not know how we feel. Please let's show them what a large group we are. Our voices all need to be heard if we are ever going to see change.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gj07 For This Useful Post:
chosenmemories (10-23-2011), leatherslace (10-30-2011), montysmom (10-22-2011), number one son (03-29-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,102 Times in 1,724 Posts

Thats exactly why I am trying to get out of Texas. Do you know if Amendment 750 passed?

To the world you might just be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:31 PM
gj07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klewis View Post
Thats exactly why I am trying to get out of Texas. Do you know if Amendment 750 passed?
Hi, I did a web search on Amendment 750. One of the articles stated that the main parts of it will pass if Congress does nothing to block it by November 1. This was under "Sentencing Commission Makes Crack Amendment Retroactive." You might want to do a web search of this and read more on it. Hope this will help you.

Some others on here might know more than I do on this, so let us know if you do.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:45 PM
gj07

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj07 View Post
Hi, I did a web search on Amendment 750. One of the articles stated that the main parts of it will pass if Congress does nothing to block it by November 1. This was under "Sentencing Commission Makes Crack Amendment Retroactive." You might want to do a web search of this and read more on it. Hope this will help you.

Some others on here might know more than I do on this, so let us know if you do.
Hi, Let me add one more note on Sen. Webb's bill. I just got a message from FAMM that although it didn't pass this time, they were still pushing to get it brought up again before this congress. People we need to put the pressure on. Just 3 votes were needed. Everyone please let your congressmen know your feelings on this bill.

So many times I read on here what can we do. Well, this is one thing we can do, write, e-mail, call, and let these representatives know how many of us are pushing for these changes.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gj07 For This Useful Post:
Buttercream (10-21-2011), chosenmemories (10-23-2011), LORNA (11-15-2011), montysmom (10-22-2011), nixivargas (11-19-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,327 Times in 678 Posts

TEXAS -- look for my thread under Tex. Forum Gen'l . . . we have a chance to vote as a block!

As for Hutchison and Cornyn . . . my laptop burneth.

http://hutchison.senate.gov
http://corynyn.senate.gov

I'm so sorry that Webb is retiring. He TRIED to leave us a legacy!

Last edited by Cara1947; 10-23-2011 at 09:06 AM..
Old 10-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Donation Award 

Okay the smoke is out of my laptop now.

PLEASE use those links I posted. It's time to work as a GROUP . . . we have LOs who may not vote, but they have parents, wives, siblings, friends, neighbors . . . . who DO. It' past time for us to organize those folks and vote as a block.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:01 PM
gj07

Default Your posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara1947 View Post

PLEASE use those links I posted. It's time to work as a GROUP . . . we have LOs who may not vote, but they have parents, wives, siblings, friends, neighbors . . . . who DO. It' past time for us to organize those folks and vote as a block.

I agree with you completely on this. Will look the link up and add my vote.

You are right, those of us that are not in prison are the ones that need to be busy on this. We are the voices for those that do not have a voice.

I hope that all that live in Texas will keep this in mind when voting time comes. This applies to all the other state also, where the senators did not support. Let's vote for people that support us--and not for those that don't. We are many if we would all join together--and most of all vote. Too many don't vote because they feel their vote doesn't matter--however, every vote matters.

I would also encourage everyone to join the groups that are working for these changes. Two of these are FAMM and CURE--there are many others. The stronger the membership, the stronger our voices.

Also, with closing, let me again, encourage all to go to the site that you mentioned to vote on this.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:14 PM
gj07

Default your message

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara1947 View Post

OK, I am missing something. I looked under Texas and then under General and could not find the link. What do you have it titled and what date? Also, are you sure it is under "General"?
Old 10-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Donation Award 

There is no petition as such. It will have more impact if we each write. The links are earlier in this thread.