Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment w/a Criminal Record
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment w/a Criminal Record Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:12 PM

Default Not enough jobs for felons

There are not enough jobs for felons out here!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2017, 11:46 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,589 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Wright View Post
There never will be enough job for felons, until society gets over the stereotype of people that go to prison.
AtlantaChaos (04-13-2017), GaReform (04-10-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,934 Times in 995 Posts

I still stand by what I've always said, that if someone wants a job bad enough they will find one. When I met my husband he had 5 felonies and was making $16 an hour a year out of prison. Moved to be with me and had a new job the same week. Determination is key...having a skill of some sort definitely helps...being humble enough to start at the bottom will get you a looooong way in the long run!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
AndyS (04-10-2017), Critter07 (04-12-2017), David (04-12-2017), Junebug28* (04-11-2017), miamac (04-12-2017), Nickel Timer (04-10-2017), Quetz (04-19-2017), safran (07-09-2017), sidewalker (04-12-2017), yourself (04-10-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 08:34 PM

Thanked 9,765 Times in 5,507 Posts

concur with S.F in that jobs exist, but one will have to be willing to start on the bottom rung and work their way up. They aren't going to typically find something legitimate making what they made prior to committing the offenses that resulted in incarceration.

I know one area rancher that actually praised a female releasee as the best fence-puller that they had ever had on the ranch, his own kids included. Two days in, she was given full-time employment instead of daily work...

Another was willing to start by cleaning dishes and later parlayed that into a managerial position.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (04-09-2017), miamac (04-12-2017), Nickel Timer (04-10-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 08:54 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

I'm thankful that my husband is very skilled and is able to find good paying work. But I've seen many who didn't know anything but prison be committed to working, start at the bottom, and make a life for themselves. Of course I've seen many look for a job for 3 days, say it's too hard and go back to selling drugs or stealing cars. I have no sympathy for those.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
Critter07 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 08:58 PM

I'm on both sides of the fence...I have a currently incarcerated boyfriend who wants and needs to make money when he gets out (I need him to, as well). He is intelligent and talented and a great employee. However, I don't think the issue is people getting over a felon "stereotype". Felons have made poor choices and many have caused harm to others. If I were hiring, I would have issues trusting a felon. Some have committed rapes, robberies, embezzlement, etc. So, I understand the reasons why employers are not hiring felons, but I also wish it were different, for my loved one's sake.
Fridyrr.Likn (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 10:00 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

I have 3 felons at my company of 11 people. I wouldn't have it any other way....BUT we've hired several in the past that were disasters. You get that with any employee though, felon or not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
AtlantaChaos (04-13-2017), Revenwyn (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 06:13 AM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,059 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
There's never going to be many jobs "for felons" -- after all, why on earth would anyone want to hire someone just because they are a felon?

Indeed, it is going to be your other skills and training that is going to sell you to employers. So what do you have to offer?

If you're like most ex-cons, you come out of prison with no education beyond maybe a GED and no real marketable job skills of any kind. In which case, you're going to start at the bottom.

And yes, there are plenty of jobs at the bottom. Fast food is always hiring. Day labor. Maybe not the dream job you always hoped for, and maybe not paying a living wage (meaning you may have to live with roommates before you can ever afford a place of your own), but there are jobs out there.

If you want better you have to prove yourself first, especially after coming out of prison being "damaged goods." Pursue higher education, get some experience in a field and climb that ladder... plenty of felons have become quite successful in their careers over the years, but they often had to start small before moving up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Critter07 (04-12-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Northern Star Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Manpower, works with people that have felonies to help find jobs... Try a placement agency.. Aerotek (I believe also works with felonies)

"Dios sabe porque hace las cosas"
The Following User Says Thank You to Quetz For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 09:44 AM
attorney

Thanked 19,672 Times in 7,089 Posts

and be willing to move. There may not be a lot of jobs in your geographic area. If the local factory just laid off 1000 people, if the local mine just closed in the last year, if your area is so economically depressed that when you go downtown more buildings are for sale than open for business, you might want to consider moving, even if on parole (talk with your PO before you actually move, get your paperwork and transfer in order). If you are competing with 50 - 100 other people for the same fast food job, you might want to cut your losses, move somewhere where "the odds are forever in your favor" and then work your ass off the first time you are given a chance.

Don't screw up your work history even more by having 10-20 jobs in the first year or two that you're out. Don't have a white collar crime and expect to handle money.

Look, the more you make yourself special, the less you are really competing. Have a felony with a GED? yeah, like Nickel says - every felon has a GED. Your GED is competing with high school grads, no felony for the same job. Get your AA in prison. Then, you'll at least have an AA (and a felony) competing with those same high school grads.

And learn how to interview, what to wear, and how to act. Have a good idea of what you need to say to the stock questions employers ask so that you come across as smart and competent, and not a smart ass (don't tell the manager that you're gunning for his/her job and expect to have it in a week or two, or at least by the end of the month because you're just that special). Be willing to acknowledge that you are actually going to have to learn your job, and that means asking for help before you waste employer resources. There is always a learning curve - be prepared to embrace it.

And be gracious if you are turned down. The last thing you want is a reputation among minimum wage employers - you really think they don't talk or warn each other? Have a meltdown in Wal-Mart and no grocery or big box store is going to even give you an interview.

OP - you really need to start your threads with more than one sentence. I know from your blog post that you're in school for massage therapy. Good. Look to your school's employment office - there are always work study programs that allow you to work food services or at the bookstore or doing janitorial services. Use it.

Crap-tastic jobs on the way to getting where you wanted to go:
For me, it was unarmed security guard at a museum on weekends. The museum was cool as all get out - it was a natural history museum, complete with a mummy. The problem was it was too close to a university football stadium. So close, it was the closest public restroom open outside the stadium, right near tailgate country. Yes, instead of being a docent for people actually interested in the museum, I spent too much time telling people where the bathrooms were, and then with the inevitable messes in the bathrooms. I was already a college grad, and I got paid .50 and hour above the minimum wage, but the mantra was, "... and I went to college for this..."
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
David (04-12-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (04-10-2017), miamac (04-12-2017), Nickel Timer (04-10-2017), Quetz (04-19-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 12:53 AM

Sorry, but I'm really curious how exactly that female fence puller managed to be so great after only two days. Is that because she did that for years or what?
Old 04-12-2017, 07:41 AM

Thanked 9,765 Times in 5,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prisonlady View Post
Sorry, but I'm really curious how exactly that female fence puller managed to be so great after only two days. Is that because she did that for years or what?
1) she had grown up in ranch country and knew the basic principles
2) it was one of many jobs during the time in prison
3) she was willing to bust her ass to demonstrate ability and willingness to work and work hard.
4) in that environment, she had to prove her worth since she was all of maybe 110 pounds dripping wet and definitely did not look like someone who would be doing any manner of manual labor.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Critter07 (04-12-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (04-12-2017), gvalliant (04-12-2017), Nickel Timer (04-12-2017), yourself (04-12-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 02:50 PM

I agree that there is never going to be enough jobs for felons. I also believe that if you try hard enough and walk that long straight line long enough good things will come
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jumbosgirl For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-09-2017), safran (07-09-2017)