Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Native American Prisoner Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Native American Prisoner Discussions Dedicated to Native American prisoners and their loved ones.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:13 PM

Default Best Federal Prisons for Native People

Greetings everyone, Ya' at' ey

Where is the best placement for a native american? He is likely going to be classified in a high security level prison. But please let me know any and all thoughts or suggestions that you have. It doesn't matter where in the US he goes but we want to make sure that his native culture is respected and embraced. We are looking for a facility that has a sweat lodge and possibly a medicine man.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2017, 01:28 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,437 Times in 9,944 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I hope you get answers from someone who has a loved one locked up somewhere that has the facilities you are asking about.

Native American religious rights are up to the Chaplain at each prison to enforce/facilitate. Every bop prison I was in had a sweat lodge where they were provided with small amounts of tobacco even after the ban, but I'm sure that there are some that are better situations than others.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 26,345 Times in 9,618 Posts

If he's an enrolled member, he might want to consult his tribal council. They often know where the medicine men and sweats are. It does change over time.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 5,696 Times in 2,588 Posts

My ex is in FBOP and has been at several USP and has had sweat lodge access at all the places he has been to. He was also given ceremonial access to tobacco and sage.
Agree he should speak to his tribal representatives and engage their help if his reasonable religious freedom is being restricted.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-06-2017)