Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Juvenile
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Juvenile Discussion of everything related to minors in the criminal justice system: juvenile detention, courts, rights, and family support.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Justin~Dylan~Damian

Default Greenville Hills Academy

Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone has any inside info on this facility in Florida, as my son was sent here a week ago and will spend the next 6-9 months there, anything would be appreciated greatly......THANX

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2007, 09:40 PM

Location Address:

Greenville Hills Academy - Disc Village, Inc.
Rt 2, Box 283
Greenville, FL

-----
Mailing Address:

Greenville Hills Academy - Disc Village, Inc.
Rt 2, Box 283
Greenville, FL

Phone Number:

(850) 973-5166

---

I don't want to frighten you, but I've read some disturbing cases of the abuse that has occured within this facility. Please be sure to keep close tabs on your son and keep the communication lines open to make sure he is being treated with dignity and respect--not abused in any shape or form by anyone on staff. Have him give you details of what's going on in his life now to help make things easier for when he does come home. I hope this helps.

Last edited by FleetingDreams; 07-14-2007 at 09:42 PM..
Old 03-10-2008, 05:29 PM

Default greenville hills academy

my name is robert stott and i was once encarcerated in greenville and i know that people r saying as lot of bad things but ill tell you from perssonel exp. that the people at greenville care alot about the youth there i still call and talk to people there who work there and its been 6 years since i was there. there good people and these kids that make complaints r just tryin to go home if it werent for the staff at greenville im sure i would be in prison or dead they helped me alot to realize i was just being stupid that i needed to think about my actions before i acted and that what has kept me out of trouble for the last six years i have no doubt in my mind that the children there r safe and in very good hands no beating or choking or starving. i just read an article on a kid who made an aligation of beating and starving andhis mom said he had lost a lot of wait while there. i lost weight while there because we did lots of structured physical training not because we where starved we ate good and most times we were allowed seconds if we wanted. i think this boy should be investigated more for a false claim anyways if you have any questions plaese email me (email removed per pto policy) thank you

Last edited by sidewalker; 05-05-2020 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: removed email
Old 03-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Justin~Dylan~Damian

Hey Robert, I was really glad to hear that you were treated with dignity. I also read the article you read by the boy and his Mother and was scared to death for my son. Although he can hold his own and then some, thats hard to do when staff is involved. Anyway my son Dylan completed the program at the end of November and has also made the comment that he would be dead if not for Greenville.......When were you there? Everything wasnt as organized as it should have been at times but thank God there was no abuse.Where r u now? Thanx and congrats,stay outta trouble

Old 02-25-2009, 07:04 AM

Default Greenville hills Academy

I can tell you from experience that that place is hell. I was beaten and abused there just about every day and if not me then others. The 'staff" are very aggressive. They try to make "clients" lose there days. They will beat you. They love this move called the chicken wing wich was banned from what I understand in the state of FL. I rember seeing kids being "restrained" on top of ant hills and being denyed there rights. It is just an overall nightmare. I was lucky enough to get out in 2005 but I still have nightmares about it. Any one who has any questions about my stay or any former "clients" can contact me at (Removed per policy; Please contact member via pm system) Please put GHA in the subject so I know not to deleate it.

Last edited by patchouli; 03-08-2015 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Removed email address
Old 04-30-2010, 06:54 PM

Default "Inside Info" Greenville Hills Academy

I was incarcerated in Greenville when i was 14. I am 23 now so a lot has probably changed. I was in a unit called "Jefferson house". I spent about 11 months there. Greenville is very education oriented. They have a regular school building including a seperate vocational unit. For the most part a very good facility if you have to be in one. Unfortunately their mental health and substance abuse courses are lacking. This may not be the right facility for your son if he has those kinds of problems, as I did. Not much chance of getting out early in this facility, maybe a week or two at the most from what I remember, but it is very easy to spend more time than 6-9 months in there if your behavior is not up to par. This is due to a point system in which each day is "earned" rather than given. All in all compared to a lot of the other facilities which had I the misfortune of becoming familiar with during my time in the juvenile system, this one is one of the best. So don't worry about your son to much, just be there for him. I know that will bw very important for him.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:32 AM

Red face My Name is Mitch

Hi, My names is Mitch.....I was sent to Greenville for battery on a teacher. I was sent to Madison Cottage. I was sent there from the age of 10-12 I am now 20 about to be 21 in a couple of days. Honestly the program has never help out so much. I am glad that I went but then I'm not. Most people don't get to hear me when I speak out. There are god things and bad things that happened to me. I will never forget the two names that made an impact in my life. The good things about the program are that I went, got out and stayed out. I am now a Med student. Some of the bad things that happened to me, was on saturdays and sundays when we didn't have class these two guards would make us (inmates) fight each other and they would laugh. I remember being put in restrains because the guards got mad at us, I remember being put in a sling because this guard hurt my arm. The physical labor we did on the weekends wasn't a bad thing but sometimes I didn't feel it was necessary. I know when sexual things happened and I reported it nothing happened, the nurse at the time said that I had Herpes. and that it was from other inmates. I didn't feel like I had any respect from some of the guards. But you have to remember there are good people and bad people. I learned a lot from the program. When I was leaving they started to change the program to be better. So as far as I know the program could have changed its been almost nine years so anything could have changed. But what I have told you is some of the things that have happened to me in the past, and Like I said I learned a lot from the program, and it helped out a lot.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet88 View Post
I was incarcerated in Greenville when i was 14. I am 23 now so a lot has probably changed. I was in a unit called "Jefferson house". I spent about 11 months there. Greenville is very education oriented. They have a regular school building including a seperate vocational unit. For the most part a very good facility if you have to be in one. Unfortunately their mental health and substance abuse courses are lacking. This may not be the right facility for your son if he has those kinds of problems, as I did. Not much chance of getting out early in this facility, maybe a week or two at the most from what I remember, but it is very easy to spend more time than 6-9 months in there if your behavior is not up to par. This is due to a point system in which each day is "earned" rather than given. All in all compared to a lot of the other facilities which had I the misfortune of becoming familiar with during my time in the juvenile system, this one is one of the best. So don't worry about your son to much, just be there for him. I know that will bw very important for him.

You were there when I was there.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:35 AM

I know what you are talking about. Just remember that times got hard, and we had to learn from it. learning how to survive made me a stronger person. Yes it was hard being in the program. but you have to admit that you did learn some things in the program
Old 12-08-2011, 01:37 AM

I'm planning on going back just to see the progress, and Tell my story. I'm just hoping someone will listen when I get there.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertstott View Post
my name is robert stott and i was once encarcerated in greenville and i know that people r saying as lot of bad things but ill tell you from perssonel exp. that the people at greenville care alot about the youth there i still call and talk to people there who work there and its been 6 years since i was there. there good people and these kids that make complaints r just tryin to go home if it werent for the staff at greenville im sure i would be in prison or dead they helped me alot to realize i was just being stupid that i needed to think about my actions before i acted and that what has kept me out of trouble for the last six years i have no doubt in my mind that the children there r safe and in very good hands no beating or choking or starving. i just read an article on a kid who made an aligation of beating and starving andhis mom said he had lost a lot of wait while there. i lost weight while there because we did lots of structured physical training not because we where starved we ate good and most times we were allowed seconds if we wanted. i think this boy should be investigated more for a false claim anyways if you have any questions plaese email me robertstott@yahoo.com thank you

In regards to our story Robert, I don't know what you are thinking! Maybe you were just one of the lucky kids that didn't get hurt. YES this place and the staff members that were involved in hurting and abusing my son were investigated, and YES we have proof of all the injuries that my son received while there. Rodney Baynard the staff member that beat and broke my son's arm was fired because he had a past criminal history that he lied on his employment application for assault, and also driving a car with a stolen tag. We have x-rays of all the broken bones my son had, and skull fractures. My son won his case in court, and we are suing the company that hired this man. His mediation is set for Aug 25 this month.
Just to give you a little inside information, Damian Choice was another abuser there, and when the abuse was called in, his sister Sheila Choice was the DCF investigator.. so you know that never went anywhere!!!
The kids have two minutes or less to eat what is on their plates.. and are only allowed to go to the bathroom twice a day.. are denied going to the bathroom when they have to go #2 and some have even had to use it in their pants! When that happens they are given a 5 gallon bucket of cold water, no soap, and made to scrub their pants out and hang them out of the cottage to dry.. the staff then humiliate them by telling everyone who's pants and underwear are hanging on the line. During the strenuous so called physical workouts, they are denied any water. My son's counselor Denise Graham called me numerous times and told me that my son had marks around his neck and bruises all over him from beatings from staff. She finally had to quit working there because she could not bear the site of all the abuse! This boy, who posted is probably a staff member there himself, and not a boy that went to this program. Mr. Blue was the Superintendent of this program at the time. I don't know what is going on there now but this happened about 10 years ago. So, Robert, get your story straight.. maybe this wasn't going on with you when you were there.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upman View Post
I can tell you from experience that that place is hell. I was beaten and abused there just about every day and if not me then others. The 'staff" are very aggressive. They try to make "clients" lose there days. They will beat you. They love this move called the chicken wing wich was banned from what I understand in the state of FL. I rember seeing kids being "restrained" on top of ant hills and being denyed there rights. It is just an overall nightmare. I was lucky enough to get out in 2005 but I still have nightmares about it. Any one who has any questions about my stay or any former "clients" can contact me at Patrickwupman@hotmail.com Please put GHA in the subject so I know not to deleate it.
Hi Patrick. My son's arm was broken by the restrain they called the chicken wing by Rodney Baynard. He was fired from working in DJJ after I did my own investigation on him and reported to DJJ Vicki Burnett, assistance to Mr. Tallons that this man had a criminal background.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:03 AM

Exclamation Mr. Blue

I cannot believe that something is finally being done. It was strange to me to see his name I immediately started crying. I was in Madison house and the two names I will not and never forget is Mr. Blue and Mr. Boatman. I will never forget what hell these two men put me through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnChase View Post
In regards to our story Robert, I don't know what you are thinking! Maybe you were just one of the lucky kids that didn't get hurt. YES this place and the staff members that were involved in hurting and abusing my son were investigated, and YES we have proof of all the injuries that my son received while there. Rodney Baynard the staff member that beat and broke my son's arm was fired because he had a past criminal history that he lied on his employment application for assault, and also driving a car with a stolen tag. We have x-rays of all the broken bones my son had, and skull fractures. My son won his case in court, and we are suing the company that hired this man. His mediation is set for Aug 25 this month.
Just to give you a little inside information, Damian Choice was another abuser there, and when the abuse was called in, his sister Sheila Choice was the DCF investigator.. so you know that never went anywhere!!!
The kids have two minutes or less to eat what is on their plates.. and are only allowed to go to the bathroom twice a day.. are denied going to the bathroom when they have to go #2 and some have even had to use it in their pants! When that happens they are given a 5 gallon bucket of cold water, no soap, and made to scrub their pants out and hang them out of the cottage to dry.. the staff then humiliate them by telling everyone who's pants and underwear are hanging on the line. During the strenuous so called physical workouts, they are denied any water. My son's counselor Denise Graham called me numerous times and told me that my son had marks around his neck and bruises all over him from beatings from staff. She finally had to quit working there because she could not bear the site of all the abuse! This boy, who posted is probably a staff member there himself, and not a boy that went to this program. Mr. Blue was the Superintendent of this program at the time. I don't know what is going on there now but this happened about 10 years ago. So, Robert, get your story straight.. maybe this wasn't going on with you when you were there.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:13 PM

Default My son finally gave up

On February 23, 2020, my Son Christopher Sholly committed suicide by hanging. He never got over the abuse in Greenville Hills nor Dozier. He was in the DJJ system from 2002 to 2005. During his keep in the system he was abused at Greenville Hills Academy, Okaloosa Development Center and Dozier School for boys. ALL THREE places abused him physically, mentally and sexually. Names were named, letters written to the Governor at the time Charlie Crist, in which I have copies of. Everything documented. Now they have shut down Dozier, and Okaloosa Development Center. Dozier in 2011, and Okaloosa in 2017. Everything my son stated was the truth. These staff and everyone involved in abuse of these boys, needs to be bought to Justice. University of Florida has already uncovered unmarked graves of near 95 boys there. Just google the names of these places and you will find much news. So please do not tell me that abuse is not going on in these places. Since my son's release from these places, he has tried to commit suicide every year after, and he finally succeeded! Thank you Florida,you destroyed a young child and still doing it! You took my Son from me, destroyed his mind, and now he's gone.

Last edited by DawnChase; 04-27-2020 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Addition
Old 05-05-2020, 06:13 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,505 Times in 16,261 Posts

Im so sorry DawnChase for your loss of your son.
Abuse of anyone, let alone children should not happen.
Im glad to see at least two of those places were shut down. ug.
anyway........Im very sorry. Rip Christopher.