Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Husbands & Boyfriends in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Husbands & Boyfriends in Prison For everyone who has a husband, boyfriend or male partner incarcerated.

View Poll Results: What is the most important of the following to your relationship?
Faithfullness 13 23.21%
Honesty 45 80.36%
Support 17 30.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2014, 03:17 PM

Default What is the most important element of your relationship?

I have read through afew threads here about faithfulness and I don't really agree with the overwhelming majority of judgmental sanctimonious replies. I have a few points to make in response.

1. Being sexually active while your loved one is inside does not have to ruin your relationship. Lies ruin relationships. Sex is a natural normal compulsion we have, and denying yourself that is fine if that's what works for you- but it's a not a one size fits all solution and you shouldn't judge others by it.

2. Love and sex are not the same thing. Period.

3. Someone who has sex while their partner is incarcerated is not necessarily a cheater. Under normal circumstance they may never dream of being unfaithful, but in extreme situations like many of us are going through there is oft not an easy an answer.

4. Life is just as hard for those who choose to continue in sexual relationships as those who don't. We are not 'weak' by any means. The person we love has still been ripped from our lives, we are still experiencing an intense and unique trauma. How we deal with said trauma is equally unique. The amount strength it takes just to face your situation can be massive.

I could go on, but it would get somewhat redundant. Vote above, feel free to throw stones, I can certainly take it.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kits3n For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (08-14-2018), bmoreicon (10-25-2017), cornellcutie1 (11-30-2017), Edj8697 (10-22-2017), lilt0123 (06-04-2018), lovinglife30 (07-30-2018), pokiesgurl (07-30-2018), Revenwyn (05-17-2018), sylvia glenn (11-03-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2017, 11:42 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,641 Times in 1,577 Posts

Communication.
a.rare.love (10-23-2017), shellh37 (06-14-2018)
Old 10-23-2017, 12:54 AM

Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,737 Posts

Loyalty

And yes having sex with someone other then you husband/wife is cheating. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with this and never will. My husband and I are loyal to each other. We have each others hearts and we know that it means faithfulness truthfulness etc.....i feel sorry for those who don't love their spouse enough not to cheat.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:41 AM

Thanked 1,860 Times in 892 Posts

To each his or her own but I know for damn sure, sharing my body with someone other than my partner is NOT going to happen. I was raised to be monogamous whether incarceration is in the picture or not.

It almost seems as though you are looking to have stones thrown at you, or you wouldn't even bring it up.
shellh37 (05-22-2018), ybrady72 (07-26-2018)
Old 10-23-2017, 05:48 AM

I suppose you can look at sex as simply a physical act/need ..however for me it's more than that..its intimacy and that part of my relationship that keeps me connected at a deeper level . That said for me it would dilute that connection if I were to share that intimacy with a random other person and I would feel guilty so it would definitely damage my primary relationship. I would not want my man sleeping with another person ..so I would not choose to potentially hurt him by doing so. I'm not judging those who choose to do so I just feel it's a slippery slope and not one I'm willing to climb.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cljinct For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (10-23-2017), EccentricManda (10-24-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzyMuffling View Post
Communication.

Without a doubt. Chica. Again ICAM (i couldn't agree more)

To be tied with loyalty...Many don't live by it. Many fakes.I cannot deal with any 1 en vida(in life)who preach on "communication" loyalty/trust/honor so many men say it all of the time and clearly are not able to maturely and respectfully live by it all."I just couldn't do this or any relationship without LOYALTY/COMMUNICATION first and foremost. No need being in a committed relationship without it... ,I sure wouldn't be.

Good night PTO'ers." hugs blessings for all."
Lead with your MIND + not your heart.
CONSISTENCY..."is key.
loyalty,maturity + respect to his el reina,(his queen)
Without "action" applied to his words, it's not real.#DON'T SETTLE.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:34 PM

I picked honesty. The reason being- before this relationship I was married for 16 years by a man who had a secret life. He had some affairs. He ended up taking his life and left me a young widow. Had he been honest we could have worked through issues. Communication is important... very important but it wasnt an option up there. I need communication instead of wondering. I can work through issues if i know what issues exist. But yes honesty.. My incarcerated loved one has already let me know that he will understand if I .... this or that... but I need to be honest and let him know also if i am weak etc. I intend every bit of intention of being faithful and loyal to him.

The Following User Says Thank You to EccentricManda For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (08-14-2018)
Old 10-25-2017, 11:35 AM

To me The most important thing is communication, then honesty and trust. I also think when you're connected on a deeper level, sex is not a big deal. Do I get the urge sometimes of course I do, but i couldn't imagine doing it with anyone else.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:54 AM

I feel like if you truly love someone you wouldn't want to be with someone else. Sure I can see a guy and think "Oh, he's good-looking" but I don't feel any need to go out and be physical with any man. Sex was a huge part of our relationship before he went to prison and I know it will be when he comes home. But to me I took vows before God and vowed to my husband to be faithful and I take those vows very seriously. I believe the most important thing is trust, closely followed by communication. If you are in a committed relationship faithfulness should just be expected or why are you even in a relationship at all.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:11 AM

Thanked 5,798 Times in 3,031 Posts

I think most would think cheating is cheating whether someone is in prison or sleeping right next to you every night!! Sorry I believe honesty and faithfulness and loyalty are all important. I can survive no sex I can't survive a cheating liar!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
choclgs (11-30-2017), Hurley123 (05-16-2018), Jazzii (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 11:42 AM

Faithful is most important because cheating is a deal breaker
The Following User Says Thank You to Texasflower08 For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-02-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 07:41 PM

Trust and communication.

My LO and I got into a little spat because I was unaware of a second charge. He didn't see it as a big deal because his release didn't change, wasnt a big charge (bail jumping 3) but I was still mad. We talked and addressed it, and we were both wrong, but has we not been able to be open it would've eaten at me (why isn't he telling me?)

Also, sex whether incarcerated or not is, imo cheating. Sure its natural, but as an adult have some self control, i feel like if you're really riding there wouldn't even be a question to it... And if there is, there are things you can buy for that
Old 11-03-2017, 10:08 AM
Banned

how inlove we are with each other loyalty trust and honor I could never cheat on him it would make me sick nobody could ever give me or compare to my husband honesty respect and communication and at the top
Old 11-10-2017, 03:35 AM
Account Closed

Honesty... their has to be trust and communication in any relationship, my ex husband mwi, lied to me all while he was incarcerated knowing his heart belonged to someone else
Old 11-30-2017, 05:16 PM
Nigohilvi

I have to wonder if the OP is still with their fiance given their stance on faithfulness/loyalty. If your partner is cool with an open relationship, I say go right ahead. Sex is not just sex if your partner is in the dark about you having sex with other people. The same goes for emotional cheating. You're either committed to someone or you aren't and if you aren't at least be upfront about what you want in the relationship.

To me Honesty, faithfulness and support all go hand in hand and communication is the key to it all.
The Following User Says Thank You to chosenmemories For This Useful Post:
xolady (05-19-2018)
Old 12-01-2017, 10:55 PM
Coopers disciple

Honesty is most important to him because lies are what made his life miserable. To me, faithfullness is very important too.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:29 PM
Married May 27, 2017!

Support and Honesty.

At the risk of being lambasted-

I'm a lifer wife. He does have a decent shot of getting out in the somewhat near future, but his sentence is technically to life. And he has let me know that because of this, should I want a sexual partner (I don't,) or even a secondary relationship (I don't see that happening) he would not hold it against me in any way whatsoever. We started this while I was married to someone else (however, he was terminally ill and I was not getting sex on any sort of regular basis. I would never have left him for M, and just kept my relationship with M as emotional caring and a decision that I would be with him next.) M is my childhood sweetheart, when he went to prison his mother told me he was dead, which is the ONLY reason I even met my late husband.

Now, I am demisexual, so it's not likely that I would find anyone else that I would have a deep connection with. I have literally only loved two men in my entire life, and I married both. I don't really have a sex drive, but I do have a drive for some physical contact like cuddles and hugs.

That said, I do currently have a friend that I get cuddles from sometimes. I'll go over and cuddle with him on his couch and watch a movie. That's it. Or often, it's more like we'll meet up for lunch and he'll hug me before we sit down and before we part, and that satisfies my need for physical contact for some time without actually cuddling.

It's stayed that way for 2 years. M is fine with this because he knows that I love him foremost and that it's just filling a basic human need (my family has never been huggy) and that when we CAN be together, I will get that need fulfilled by him. And neither my cuddle buddy or I want a relationship together.

Faithfulness for us is determined by our honesty and communication. I tell him when I've been with my cuddle buddy and told him that's all that happened (and it's always true- I don't have a deep connection with this guy like I do with M.) And M had a close friend in prison (and later in halfway house- the guy moved to the same one about a month after him) that was fulfilling the same need for basic physical contact (hugs) for him. No sex. Even then he would tell me "hey, I needed hugs and so I came to D and asked him for one."

We're also in separate states so it's not even like we can hold off for two weeks before we see each other again. By the time I see him next, it will have been over 13 MONTHS since we last held each other. So allowing this amount of physical contact with others is absolutely vital.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:23 PM
Patiently Waiting on Big

Honesty is very important for me due to previously being with a liar and cheater. Whatever a person has done can be worked through if that other person would just be honest. In order to be honest a person has to be willing to communicate and most are not there.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kits3n View Post
I have read through afew threads here about faithfulness and I don't really agree with the overwhelming majority of judgmental sanctimonious replies. I have a few points to make in response.

1. Being sexually active while your loved one is inside does not have to ruin your relationship. Lies ruin relationships. Sex is a natural normal compulsion we have, and denying yourself that is fine if that's what works for you- but it's a not a one size fits all solution and you shouldn't judge others by it.

3. Someone who has sex while their partner is incarcerated is not necessarily a cheater. Under normal circumstance they may never dream of being unfaithful, but in extreme situations like many of us are going through there is oft not an easy an answer.

4. Life is just as hard for those who choose to continue in sexual relationships as those who don't. We are not 'weak' by any means. The person we love has still been ripped from our lives, we are still experiencing an intense and unique trauma. How we deal with said trauma is equally unique. The amount strength it takes just to face your situation can be massive.

I could go on, but it would get somewhat redundant. Vote above, feel free to throw stones, I can certainly take it.

For us its definitely communication

Old 07-30-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:

I would say right now is communication that is keeping us together
Old 08-11-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
Loyalty

And yes having sex with someone other then you husband/wife is cheating. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with this and never will.

My husband and I are loyal to each other.

We have each others hearts and we know that it means faithfulness truthfulness
etc.

....i feel sorry for those who don't love their spouse enough not to cheat.

This...
Yep.

I think even flirtin' wit' some 1 where you're literally tryin' to "really talk to and get with a girl or guy IS cheatin' period." I just was not into that,and never will be this way in life.

So i agree in bold red/blue chica, and glad your sweetheart/soulmate your LIFE partner, bff, you true real amor, es ALMOST home soon enough.adios.
hugs and blessings...
CONSISTENCY..."is key.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
Loyalty

And yes having sex with someone other then you husband/wife is cheating. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with this and never will. My husband and I are loyal to each other. We have each others hearts and we know that it means faithfulness truthfulness etc.....i feel sorry for those who don't love their spouse enough not to cheat.
Amen to that I totally agree with you will go back to it when he gets home
The Following User Says Thank You to upsetspouse For This Useful Post:
nygirl17 (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 04:14 PM

Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.rare.love View Post
This...
Yep.

I think even flirtin' wit' some 1 where you're literally tryin' to "really talk to and get with a girl or guy IS cheatin' period." I just was not into that,and never will be this way in life.

So i agree in bold red/blue chica, and glad your sweetheart/soulmate your LIFE partner, bff, you true real amor, es ALMOST home soon enough.adios.
hugs and blessings...
When you have a loyal partner you also have an honest and faithful partner that's how I feel. When you know your man is loyal beyond words there is no doubt. That's how I feel about my husband. And thank you I'm so happy my love is almost home it makes my heart feel so happy.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:33 PM
Strong Heart, Smart Mind

Quote:
i have read through afew threads here about faithfulness and i don't really agree with the overwhelming majority of judgmental sanctimonious replies. I have a few points to make in response.

I could go on, but it would get somewhat redundant. Vote above, feel free to throw stones, i can certainly take it.
i agree a million times with this post period stop judging others and start loving the you will be happier with less drama in yourself and in your life

The most unimaginable feelings!
The most unbelievable love!
I have found within you!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Oceansdrm For This Useful Post:
a.rare.love (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EccentricManda View Post
I picked honesty. The reason being- before this relationship I was married for 16 years by a man who had a secret life. He had some affairs. He ended up taking his life and left me a young widow. Had he been honest we could have worked through issues. Communication is important... very important but it wasnt an option up there.

I need communication instead of wondering
. I can work through issues if i know what issues exist. But yes honesty.. My incarcerated loved one has already let me know that he will understand if I .... this or that... but I need to be honest and let him know also if i am weak etc. I intend every bit of intention of being faithful and loyal to him.

was re-reading this thread and want to say, May the lord bless you, chica, and i pray for you. Sad, he took his own life, and left you a young widow, and i agree with your post the rest of it... God BLESS you..."and yes, "wonderin' is always imho the worse, and i REFUSE to sit around "wonderin' and going through such,i just won't,

so you're right on communication."I so agree, and i hope GOD continue to see you through all you're going through and or have gone through, chica,adios.... hugs blessings coming your way."
CONSISTENCY..."is key.

Last edited by a.rare.love; 08-14-2018 at 10:41 AM..