Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Canadian Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Canada Prisons & Jails Visitation, Phones, Packages & mail This forum deals with all the ins and outs of the Canadian Prison and Criminal Justice System, including Phones, Mail, Packages, and visitation.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:46 PM

Default Transferred to Joyceville Assessment Unit

Hey everyone,

I need some clairification and guidance. This is the first time I have had to deal with this.

For the past few months I have been dealing with my boyfriend being in the provincial system. I am currently pregnant with our 2nd baby and can have this baby in as little as 4 weeks. He is going to be sent to Joyceville in the next couple of weeks. We talk a few times a day currently. From what I have read people are not hearing from their loved ones for weeks after being transfered. This scares the poop outta me.

If I was to call the jail to let him know that baby is here would they let me speak to him? Or have him call me?

I am wanting to set up a trap line so he has the number before he gets transfered. What are the best companies to use for Joyceville? I am an hours drive from Joyceville just not local.

Another question: when they are in the assessment unit do they have visitation? I am going to be filling out the visitors package and have ready to send in as I want to be able to see him with baby as soon as I can. Is it through glass or is he going to be able to hold our baby? With the child's waver is it to be sent in before or taken in day of visit?

Sorry for so many questions but being 34 weeks pregnant and not having him home has been hard. The uncertainty of what happens next is hard to deal with as well.
Just wondering is there any resources available around Kingston for families? Our little one knows dad is away and hasn't asked more than that but I need to have the open conversation with our babies before they see Daddy. I haven't taken our oldest to see Daddy at the provincial jail as it would be to hard on our child not being able to get hugs or kisses from Daddy. I find it hard not being able to have physical contact. He also hasn't been able to feel the baby in my belly either.

Sorry for the long message and any support or guidance is greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2019, 12:08 PM

My heart aches for you.

He will be able to call collect pretty much as soon as he gets to Joyceville Assessment unit. He just has to get the number(s) approved. I think it has to be a landline although I read on here about a cell number being approved recently. They are (or were a year ago) quite quick about approving numbers. As long as you answer the phone when they call to get your okay

We used Trappcall for collect calls but I think I read somewhere that Fedphoneline also does the collect calls now. You may want to look at the cost of collect calls if you are close to Kingston. It may not be worth it. IDK The beauty of these is they can link to your cell phone. If you are doing this, he needs to know the number to get it approved (obviously).

My visitor pass took forever to get approved. But they approved his sister's pass in less than a week because she lives far away and happened to be in Kingston. I simply phoned and asked if they could expedite her approval and they did. Children's application(s) go with yours.

Visiting at the Joyceville assessment unit is like visiting provincial. Between glass. Not very pleasant. I expect they wouldn't be able to make any adjustments for the baby as his security risk wouldn't yet be assessed. But, hey, it can't hurt to ask.

IDK but there probably is some mechanism for you to call and get them to let him know about the baby.

Good luck and hugs
Old 07-07-2019, 07:01 AM

Hi Krisy,

My partner also went through Joyceville. Though I was not pregnant, it was my first time dealing with this sort of thing as well.

I used FedPhoneLine for my landline. It forwards a 'land line' to your cell. Note that both that land line and your cell number need to be approved before he can call. I do think this is handled on a case by case situation, but my numbers took well over a month to be approved and I've read on this forum of some taking much less. My partner and I did not speak during that time. I don't want to scare you, but I tell you this so you can be prepared for long bouts of silence. He will be going through the 'assessment phase' once he arrives at Joyceville and I get the impression communication with the outside world is cut off on purpose. That was my experience, so take that with a grain of salt. Maybe having a pregnant partner on the outside, they will process your numbers faster for him. Fingers crossed for you.

My visitor pass was not approved until he was moved to his mother institution. We did not see each other for over two months. Again, case by case situation. It all conveniently happened at once - he was moved and my application was approved. I think they held my application until his move was complete.

Regarding clothing, do not follow the list that is on the website. I was told this is very outdated and should not be relied on. Instead, I called and asked specifically what I could send:

Sweatshirts are to be pullover and plain. No hoodies, no zippers. Pants and shorts cannot be double lined, no cargo style, no button fly, no camouflage print. Shoes cannot have any metal on them at all. I don't know anything about jackets.

My partner still has not received any of his belongings. He arrived at Joyceville early April. He went through assessment and has since moved to his mother location. Still nothing. I've spoken with Receiving. They have it. But it has not been processed as of yet. My point is, please be aware that if anything, this system requires you to have an excessive amount of patience.

Best of luck to you. Try to stay positive. It's a scary situation to go through, but you can do this.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:48 AM

Hey thanks for the response ��

I have heard from him through someone else. They called day 5 he was there and I forgot to give the collect call number and just left my cell number. Oops I will call back on Monday and leave them with it. They are currently on lockdown so I hope it doesn't last long as I am now in the last month and baby can come anytime now. I have to get my papers filled out and sent in. It looks like I will have to do it twice to add babies information on it. It would be easier if I could just drop it off while I am in the city.. but that would be too complicated for them. He is having a hard time in there and got injured the first day. Don't have the details from him yet due to others on the line. I just want this all done and over with so my kids can have their father back and life get back to semi normal again and I'm not worried about him. He told me he doesn't even have his stuff that he had in Ottawa and can't write home. I had switched out his clothes and he has blue camo clothes. I will update on if they allow it once I hear from him and know if he can wear the clothes I dropped off. What number did you call to get a list of what they can have?
Old 07-08-2019, 09:44 PM

My partner is currently in assessment as well and it’s been 2 1/2 weeks and his phone card still isn’t work. They called a week ago to approve my number. I was told yesterday the lockdown is for 2 weeks.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:45 PM

The lockdown is lifted. There seems to be issues with the cards. I have him calling the collect call number until he can get money on his card. I went out in this heat to do it.. yuk!!