Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Member Introductions & Bull in Session Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Member Introductions & Bull in Session Lounge Introductions forum for California members and a place to discuss non-prison related topics with other people in the State.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:29 AM

Unhappy My momma of 61 years old sentenced to 2 years State Prison

Hi,
My name is Veronica and my mom has been sentenced to 2 years in state prison. We live in Los Angeles County, California.
She has been wrongly convicted of a white collar crime. My my mom is 61 years old, she is a small 5 foot little lady and the pillar of our family. She has 3 grand kids, I have 2 and my sister has 1. I'm so scared. I don't know what I'm going to do without her. She is not the healthiest woman and we don't know what to expect. The judge gave her that sentence because it was plain and simple she just didn't like my mom. If you were to meet my mom, you can right away see the greatness of her heart. She loves people and loves to listen to and help others.

She has to turn herself in on the 25th of this month but already told us she will do so before. She doesn't want to say goodbye, she said it will be too hard.

Please pray for our family. That the lord give us strength to take all of this pain and to give my grandparents strength as they are in their late 80's and I'm afraid they'll get sick even though I know their faith in the lord is great.

If anyone can offer any in site as to what we can expect, I would greatly appreciate it. We've never had a loved on in prison and are completely heart broken by this injustice.

Thank you in advance for any advice or words of comfort.

Blessings,
Veroeyes
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2014, 07:41 AM

Veronica, So sorry to hear what your family is going thru. I know that it seems .like a long time but hopefully since it was non violent she will only do 50%. I would just advise that you write her as often as possible and once she gets in send her some money and set up your phone so she can call you. She may not want to say goodby but it's important to keep in touch. Your mom will be ok. I will keep you and your family in my prayers . Go to the CDCR website and it tells you how to do all the stuff I mentioned. You can also send her a package every 3 mo with supples she will need. When you find out which place she will be at go to that forum and check it out . There is a lot of info on PTO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2muchmisery4me For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-09-2014), Veroeyes (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 07:49 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,546 Times in 13,143 Posts

Once you know where she will be housed, and she gets placed at her *home* prison, it will go by quicker. Yeah, I know its 2 yrs but she most likely wont serve all that time.
Closer to one yr.
Make sure she gets visit forms and sends them to someone (have her SIGN them first)
Write her often.
Know that there is REAL time, and PRISON time. Prison time goes s-l-o-w. Letters take a long time to get to her. Everything is a process.

Im sorry for the situation your family finds itself in.
Wishing your family and your mom all the best.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Veroeyes (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 12:38 PM

Thank you guys for the replies. God bless you! Question: do you guys have any idea what prisoners get to do in there? Can they go on the internet or watch tv ? Like what do they do all day? And I'm worried that there might be mean women. I'm imagining the worst! Thank you all in advance!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:39 PM

Thanked 1,711 Times in 905 Posts

Also. Remember most people still respect their elders. You always hear the horor stories. But most people, yes even people in prison, still live by the basic codes. So even tho this is where none of us want to be, others have moms in their also. And some women may appreciate the goodness she has and learn a thing or two. There is no internet but usually TVs. You can send books thru amazon or other book stores which help pass the time. I'm sorry this has happened to your family, stay positive and use all resources and time the best you can. It will go by quicker. As others have said, get the phones and visits set up. Remember how fast time goes by. Once she hits her home prison she should have less than a year left.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnarchyHeart For This Useful Post:
Veroeyes (08-10-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 07:36 PM

Thanked 4,043 Times in 2,171 Posts

Hang tough!!! The worst parts over "awaiting sentencing". The rest is easy. I don't know how it works where you are but generally everyone respects the elderly prisoners. My husband is considered an old man and he's 47, so your MOM should be ok its scary but if its white collar non-violent she should be housed with similar criminals/because of custody levels. So hang in there she'll be home and hopefully very soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Veroeyes (08-10-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 11:43 PM

Yes , lots of books and tv , my son is younger so he exercises a lot , writes songs ,does some drawing and some people like to write. They also have church . Some have classes you need to attend. But to be honest my son says the hardest part of prison is the boredom. Some inmates will also be given jobs to do . I also think your Moms age should allow her some respect and leniency. Try not to worry to much. I know easier said than done.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2muchmisery4me For This Useful Post:
Veroeyes (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 12:13 AM

Thank you all so much for your input. It really helps. I feel like my world is fallen apart but I guess god has a plan. God, I never imagined something like this but I guess I should be thankful when there is other people in the world living worse trials like war and diseases. It's hard to count my blessings and my moms but that's what's gonna keep our family going. I thank god for finding this website. I will keep you amazing people updated. Thank you again and my god bless each and every one of you.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:24 AM
It's Not Funny Anymore

Its been a long while since I've been in but most of the women there will be good to her and believe me there are a lot of older women who will help her learn the ropes. Yes there are some mean ones but honestly she'll have people who will help her. Letters, cards and lots of pictures plus if you are able to maybe some of the lil comforts like a tv,radio and the packages help it makes you feel some of the outside world connection. Shopping for her hygiene's, food, snacks etc. I know its hard on families to do this but whatever you do makes a world of difference. Reception is the worse but they do shop so that helps. But please make sure she watches who she does get close to, there are people who will take advantage of an elderly person just like out here. She should make sure that as soon as she sees medical to ask for a lower bunk chrono or they will assign her to an upper bunk and that makes it hard to get up and down from her bunk. They won't just assume because of her age to give it to her she has to ask. And yes keep the phone on so that when she is able to call she can very important to her and you. Like I said it has been many years since I did time but I hope this helps. Someone else may come along with more advice. Sorry that your mom and family has to deal with this.

~ Enough is Enough~

Old 11-10-2014, 10:32 PM

I am a little shocked and dismayed by our judicial system. My sympathy and prayers go out to you, your mom and the rest of your family.
Your mother will first go to a reception prison. For men it's San Quentin. IDK if it's the same for women. Here they will do a medical evaluation. Make sure she asks for a lower bunk chrono. During her time at reception they will also (and for the life of me, I can't remember what it's called) decide where she will go, meaning level of custody, based on a point system. The more points, the higher the level. I don't remember exactly how many points for each level. There is a lot that they take into consideration. Age, crime, amount of sentenced time, flight risk, prior crimes, prior prison sentences, etc.
In all likelihood, your mother will end up going to a ccf, a ranch or a level E or 0 yard. A ccf is a community correctional facility. Not sure what a ranch entails. But they're similar to a fire camp. In that if there is a way to do time. That is the way. Usually the best food. They don't even have fences and there is a lot of stuff to do. Now, usually there is work to be done, and I don't know what it is....just saying. The level E yards are surrounded with just a chain link fence. (A 6 foot one at that) they are on prison grounds, but very much separate from the rest of the population.

With that being said. Just make sure that she asks for ranch (if they have them for women or ccf) the state makes money off the inmates in these places and will certainly put her in. When I went in, I started with 27 points. One point less and I would have been a lvl2. But I was put on a hard 3 yard in high desert. This was a bad place. But I had a gun enhancement and that did not look good. Yet, even with that. When my points were low enough. I was asked if I would be interested in fire camp and I was signed up.
Always write letters. Nothing is better than hearing your name being called at mail time. And nothing makes you feel worse than never getting mail. Trust me. Even if you only send a card, a picture or just a note. It's a total psychological thing. As for calls, just have everything ready to accept them. Everyone is different in how they handle that. I was not big on calling. While I had seen others totally stressing on the phone...Over everything. She might just be fine with letters.

This is important. When she turns herself in. She only needs to take the clothes she is wearing, an ID and money. Something like 100. The money will go onto her books right then. So she will have it in reception. They will ask what she wants to do with the clothing and other belongings. Donate or mail back home. Unless your ma is a big spender. The bill should get her by in rec. Tell her to never talk about what kind of money she has on the books. She is to never offer to help someone with money. The state will provide the bare essentials to those in need. Otherwise, one can get a job. Though you may not get that much. It is always enough for ones needs. There are folks who will look after her. But there are also those who will try and take advantage of her. These people are master manipulators and have been working the system for years. For the men. Kindness is often mistaken for weakness. And there are those who pray on the weak.

I know this was a lot and I'm sorry. Your mom and her situation sucks, and for that I am also sorry. As I said before. The fact that she is a sweet, old lady. With a wonderful disposition, who was accused of a white collar crime. Needs to remember to play up the grand motherly type. Sweet, lovable and charming. Before the classification board (yeah, that was the word I was trying to remember ) they have the power to put her in a nicer place.

Good luck to you and mom.