Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of South Carolina.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:50 PM

Smile South Carolina Broad River Correctional Institution

Hi I want to know if anybody knows any info on Broad River Correctional Institution ? My loved one was recently moved to Broad River in Colombia South Carolina from Kershaw Correctional Instituon which idk exactly why. All iknow is that prison and the dorm listed in “GRN” would anyone know any info inthat specof dirk and what exactly type of inmates are housed there ? My loved one was supposed to be serving 30 days in disciplinary detention in Kershaw Corrections. But were we’re moved here after 5 days . Their Case worker said it has something to do with my loved one wanting and would be seeking medical attention for mental health which I didn’t know and well it was requested . Is Broad River is this somewhere inmates are sent to when they need to seek mental health attention ? Can I wrote them while they are in this prison and seeking mental health medical attention ? Can they revive mail when they are in that specific dorm in this prison ? If anyone could please help me with any info in the prison itself and maybe and idea of what might be going on please reply back to me it is greatly appreciated ! Thanks I’m advance .

Last edited by Denny91; 11-15-2018 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: Added some extra question
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2018, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,703 Times in 2,865 Posts

I moved your thread to the South Carolina forum where you will get more answers specific to your questions.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
I moved your thread to the South Carolina forum where you will get more answers specific to your questions.
Omg thank you so much I donít know how to set it up to specific forum or threads lol Iím new to posting just states few days ago hsventvlogged insinceci made it back in2010 but thank you hopefully I get some answers
Old 11-16-2018, 04:01 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 3,384 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny91 View Post
Hi I want to know if anybody knows any info on Broad River Correctional Institution ? My loved one was recently moved to Broad River in Colombia South Carolina from Kershaw Correctional Instituon which idk exactly why. All iknow is that prison and the dorm listed in ďGRNĒ would anyone know any info inthat specof dirk and what exactly type of inmates are housed there ? My loved one was supposed to be serving 30 days in disciplinary detention in Kershaw Corrections. But were weíre moved here after 5 days . Their Case worker said it has something to do with my loved one wanting and would be seeking medical attention for mental health which I didnít know and well it was requested . Is Broad River is this somewhere inmates are sent to when they need to seek mental health attention ? Can I wrote them while they are in this prison and seeking mental health medical attention ? Can they revive mail when they are in that specific dorm in this prison ? If anyone could please help me with any info in the prison itself and maybe and idea of what might be going on please reply back to me it is greatly appreciated ! Thanks Iím advance .

The staff at Kershaw may not have been able to address his mental health needs and he was transferred to Broad River for that reason. You also mentioned he received a disciplinary during the same time period, which could have also been taken into consideration when he was transferred.

You may continue to write him using the updated information. I'm not sure if he's on restriction because of the disciplinary so you should hold off on sending photographs, anything printed from the internet, and so forth until that 30 day period has passed.
Denny91 (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
The staff at Kershaw may not have been able to address his mental health needs and he was transferred to Broad River for that reason. You also mentioned he received a disciplinary during the same time period, which could have also been taken into consideration when he was transferred.

You may continue to write him using the updated information. I'm not sure if he's on restriction because of the disciplinary so you should hold off on sending photographs, anything printed from the internet, and so forth until that 30 day period has passed.
Thank you so much for ur info you provided I actually found out my loved one cant receive any mail either due to some type of restrictions heís on for the metal health smh Iím so heartbroken itís got me so stressed that i havenít spoken or seen or know of anything in over a month and half 😔 would you or anyone else reading this know if I would be able to speak to someone that maybe could help in this situation like the prison chaplain ? Would anyone know if family can request a chaplain to be sent to pay them a visit even if they are on 24 hour watch due to self harm ? Please any info would be truly appreciated thanks in advance !
Old 11-17-2018, 11:44 AM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Thank you so much for ur info you provided I actually found out my loved one cant receive any mail either due to some type of restrictions heís on for the metal health smh Iím so heartbroken itís got me so stressed that i havenít spoken or seen or know of anything in over a month and half 😔 would you or anyone else reading this know if I would be able to speak to someone that maybe could help in this situation like the prison chaplain ? Would anyone know if family can request a chaplain to be sent to pay them a visit even if they are on 24 hour watch due to self harm ? Please any info would be truly appreciated thanks in advance !
You can have the prison chaplain let him know that you are thinking of him and you'll write when they allow him to receive mail.

You can find the name of the chaplain here:
http://www.doc.sc.gov/programs/volunteers.html

It's best to call between 8:30 and 4:00 as they may not have voicemail for their offices.

Because he's under such restrictive circumstances and he committed a policy violation, you will have to wait until the matters have been resolved.

This has to be something very serious because mail is usually allowed, even when someone is on lockup or in the infirmary. I know it's hard, yet that's about all you can do in this circumstance.
Denny91 (11-17-2018), safran (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
You can have the prison chaplain let him know that you are thinking of him and you'll write when they allow him to receive mail.

You can find the name of the chaplain here:

It's best to call between 8:30 and 4:00 as they may not have voicemail for their offices.

Because he's under such restrictive circumstances and he committed a policy violation, you will have to wait until the matters have been resolved.

This has to be something very serious because mail is usually allowed, even when someone is on lockup or in the infirmary. I know it's hard, yet that's about all you can do in this circumstance.

Yes it is very hard on me I was so used to talking with him very single day and now itís been almost 2 months I donít hear or see him 😢now when I contact the prison for he chaplain do I contact the chaplain directly and the chaplain from the Broad River or the one from kershaw where he was previously ? Iím so stressed due to all of this I just want him to get btter soon . I ha don clue any of this was going in with him I feel like Iíve failed him in so many ways I should of seen the signs 😢
Old 11-18-2018, 06:11 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Yes it is very hard on me I was so used to talking with him very single day and now itís been almost 2 months I donít hear or see him 😢now when I contact the prison for he chaplain do I contact the chaplain directly and the chaplain from the Broad River or the one from kershaw where he was previously ? Iím so stressed due to all of this I just want him to get btter soon . I ha don clue any of this was going in with him I feel like Iíve failed him in so many ways I should of seen the signs 😢
You call the number for the chaplain at Broad River. Most are in their offices during the day but you may have to try calling back if you don't get an answer.
Denny91 (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
You call the number for the chaplain at Broad River. Most are in their offices during the day but you may have to try calling back if you don't get an answer.
Thank you so much I will do hopefully it eithks Iíll keep the forum updated with the outcome whether good or bad maybe my story nd you guys answer could help another ❤️😊