Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know > Florida Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Florida prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's regional subforum in the Florida forum.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:25 PM
strong enough

Default Which Phone Provider Do You Use?

I always had Comcast, (A Land Line) then prepaid Securus on pay day. I was unemployed for 18 months and in August Comcast which was way overdue was cut off. We have not had phone contact since August. Thankfully I got a job in December, I have been using one of those Safelink "Goverment" phones. I didn't know if I needed to try and get a land line again, or get a cell phone. I was looking at Metro PCS where it is prepaid monthly 25.00 a month unlimited text and talk(no internet) but they do not give a phone bill in my name, just a statement when service is activated. Does anyone use Metro PCS, or are most people using a land line. He can do his phone list in February so I would like to get some kind of service started! Thanks
Old 01-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,304 Times in 978 Posts

It's my understanding that you have to have a cell that is monthly billed - Metro isn't allowed. You have to have a monthly bill with your name and address on it.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:41 AM
strong enough

Thanks, my daughter has a cell phone through Sprint, but because it has all the bells and whistles its like 80.00 a month, however since she is under 18 they did a credit check and the bill is in my name I know there is a feature to add a family member line if we want to, maybe when we go to the store to pay the bill I can find out the details and add my name, since he does a phone list in February I hope that would give time for classification to activate it. But then I also have to purchase a phone, expenses expenses and more expenses ....
Old 01-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,304 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird View Post
Thanks, my daughter has a cell phone through Sprint, but because it has all the bells and whistles its like 80.00 a month, however since she is under 18 they did a credit check and the bill is in my name I know there is a feature to add a family member line if we want to, maybe when we go to the store to pay the bill I can find out the details and add my name, since he does a phone list in February I hope that would give time for classification to activate it. But then I also have to purchase a phone, expenses expenses and more expenses ....
You can get a family plan like you mentioned...they are very affordable...on AT&T you can add a voice only line for something like $10/month (other companies are similar), but you have to share the minutes of main line on the account. It's the minute allotment that gets you. When I started taking prison calls on my cell, I had to upgrade my plan to unlimited.

If you sign a 2 year contract when you get your phone, you can probably get a basic one for free.