Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > SHARING EXPERIENCES > It's Not All Bad Behind the Walls
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

It's Not All Bad Behind the Walls Let's talk about the good things that happen in prison. The correctional officers that have helped us, etc.

Old 11-06-2005, 09:23 AM

The deparment of corection teaches the co's to treat all inmates as scum,
laires & anything else to degrade the inmates. I have been there & I have
seen it done. You will find maybe one out of ten co's that will treat a inmate
as a human. It seemed to me that most of the co's that I had contact with
abused their authority.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2005, 09:36 AM

This goes to show that officers are human too

Old 11-06-2005, 09:47 AM

wow, that was a strong letter, enough to put me in tears, i am alsmost speechless, i actually thought that 99.999% of prison gaurds didnt care, or maybe this one is the only that does care. i can honestly say i couldnt be a prison gaurd, i would end up behind bars myself. i have a heart, and as we all know your heart can over power your thoughts at times. that was a great letter and has changed my views on some things. tahnk you for sharing it with us.

I LOVE YOU BABY ALWAYS & FOREVER
Old 11-07-2005, 04:12 PM

There are both good and bad people in all professions.

I have known several people both men and women who worked in SC as corrections officers. Right now I also know two who work as administrative personnel.

Not a single one of them is a very nice person. They all have lots of emotional issues and personal baggage. Four of them are very cocky and arrogant and are the type of person that I would not want to have to deal with on a day-to-day basis.

In my dealings with the DOC here in SC this seems to be the norm rather than the exception. I'm not saying that is a fact; just my experience.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:08 PM

I know a couple who are nice and try to treat you with respect when you go in for a visit. However, the majority treat you as if you are less than human. I truly don't understand this. I know I have no idea what their jobs are like, what they see and hear on a daily basis, however, I know we are deserve to be treated with kindness and respect until our behaviour shows otherwise. It is amazing to me that they can treat people the way they do. I'm not sure if it is arrogance or ignorance, maybe a little of both. You know the old saying, "A little bit of power...."I just have to pray for them, hoping one day their hearts will be changed. Until then, I continue to walk in with a smile and a "thank you", I never want to be perceived that my attitude is anywhere in the ballpark with their attitudes.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:01 PM

Default lulu

How touching that was to read what you wrote. After what Ive been through with my son, it makes me not have respect for officers but you took the time to show me another side. Some treat us as bad people when we go to visit our kids..family...its hard enough to see our loved ones that have made mistakes be behind bars and then to be treated as we are is horrible. thank you
Old 01-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Account Closed

Does it really say that in the bible? I was pretty amazed and moved until I read that part.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:27 AM

I wonder if some of the Nazi soldiers who manned the concentration camps felt the same way, yet continued to do their jobs. After all, the government was their authority also, and wouldn't have existed without God's approval.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:31 AM
May 25th 2010 hurry up!

This is the first time ive read this. It made me cry.

Jennifer and KJ
*~May 4, 2002- Forever~*

Old 01-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Closed

LU LU, Yes gurl thank u!!!! When I read that the first time I was in tears and I haven't been able to figure out where I once read it at. Thanks gurl!!!!!

~Bella~
Old 01-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Te quiero Papucho!

Wow..this is so true..

It breaks my heart to imagine the love of my life having to go through this...But GOD is love & through GOD & Love we will get through this....
Old 01-11-2006, 01:38 PM
My Baby Loves Me!!

wow this letter was very straight forward and powerful and thanks for sharing
Old 03-13-2006, 11:51 AM
6 years strong <3

Wow... thank you so much for sharing that. I had an experience this weekend at visitation that made me really wonder how some CO's can live with themselves at the end of the day. This letter made me realize that just like prisoners can't show weakness, I guess neither can CO's. But it does make me feel a little better to know that not ALL of them are completely heartless, just like prisoners.

Last edited by babygurl919; 03-13-2006 at 11:52 AM..
Old 03-13-2006, 07:54 PM

That was really touching, thanks for sharing that Lulu.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:55 PM

That was very touching, thanks for sharing lulu.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:18 PM
colinswife

this letter is awesome... i am also a former correctional officer and now i have a husband in prison.... it is true that mailcall for a inmate is worth more to them than a million dollars. make sure you write your loved one in prison. what we see as not important is ten times more important to the person in prison. think what it would be like to not be able to wash your clothes in gain laundry detergent, or open your frig and take something out to eat, what if you couldnt smell a rose or take a bubble bath. the little things we take for granted or things people in prison would love to enjoy for a brief second. people do wrong and everyone should be punished but who should determine the punishment? some or never allowed to have a second chance. we all suffer the punishment.. i was sitting in visitation over the weekend and i began to cry, i looked around the room and it saddened me because some of the men there will never see there parents alive on the streets again and some will never see there children grow up.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:02 PM

lulu, Thanks For Sharing It Is A Very Touching Letter , Capitalx Welcome To Pto, Very Interesting Reply You HavE I WOULD LOVE TO RESPOND TO IT BUT, I KNOW THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT PLACE IN WHERE TO DO SO.

He's so home and what a blessing!

Last edited by RMD4EVER; 04-15-2006 at 03:04 PM..
Old 05-21-2006, 03:04 PM
Betty

Default Hi

I have never read this before but was very interesting..altho all i have heard is negative about the guards in prison ...I always knew there are some like you that care and have to do their jobs at the same time...I must say you have a very hard job..and I igive you much credit for even being there doing what ur doing....(refering to the guards)
Old 05-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Account Closed

I fail to see how this works - the bible says ' thou shalt not kill ' !
Surely u canot ' have your cake and eat it' - am sure this guy is compassionate UNTIL it comes to his wages !"
We don't have guns in the UK and it works just fine

Last edited by KateUK; 05-21-2006 at 06:33 PM..
Old 05-30-2006, 04:36 AM

Lulu, this was really nice....I often wonder if the guards are human...i have only seen 2 examples of this humanity in our time inside. I say "OUR TIME" because I feel I have done time with Tony....
Old 05-30-2006, 07:09 AM

That was really nice to share with us.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:53 PM

Capital X
The simple fact is that prison is necessary. unfortunatlly this worl has people in it that are predators of other human beings, and the meek who you said you were for need to be protected from them. I work in a level IV institution in California and my fellow officers and I have to oversee and control a population of violent predators so we can not afford to be weak.
This does not mean we have to be inhuman it just means we have to be strong. As for posibly having to take a life in order to frotect life or prevent an escape this is something that I think about often. An escsaped inmate is one of the most dangerous of people the will do anything to "get away", there are plent of examples of escapees injuring and killing innocent people as well as law enforcment in thier escape or escape attempt. As far as an inmate that assoults staff or another inmate with a deadly weapon that speaks for itself. in both of these situations where I might have to use deadly force the conditions are not dictated by me only my response is, and though I fear someday I may have to take a human life in the performance of my duty I am prepared to do it to save innocent lives. As for me I niether need or want compassion from you because you are right I am not the meek but niether are most of the inmates they deserve basic human decancy and dignity but you might want to consider the real MEEK the victims of thier crimes.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:12 AM
"Nil Admirari"

I guess we have been lucky when it comes to the C/0's that my husband has dealt with. He has been in seven different correctional institutes that I can think of right off and usually there may be one officer if any that he would say was "on his high horse". I have had no complaints myself about anyone off them. Knock on wood..... and I hope I never have any reason to complain. I live in a small town so when my husband was incarcerated here it was alot better for us. Our Sheriff has family members of his own that have been incarcerated and understands the toll it takes on the family. I really think if any C/O has had to visit a family member behind bars it really puts things into prospective for them. I live on both sides of the fence. My husband is incarcerated, my aunt is one of the local investigators and my cousin is a local town cop. My cousin who is like a brother to me was not a cop before my husband went to jail and was great friends with my husband. He recently finished all of his training and come to take my son fishing because he had been gone for a while. He said this time "I will keep him straight" when he comes home. Hopefully I won't need his help but it's nice to know I have someone watching out for me just in case!
Old 06-12-2006, 11:34 AM
"Nil Admirari"

Default Att: Zabadas

You as a C/O would understand why it really upsets me to see someone get 6 months for assaulting a police officer and my husband is pulling 70 months because he was a "METH" addict. An addict is only hurting their self physically (and their families mentally) but someone who assaults someone else who ever it may be is out to hurt someone physically and it will effect them mentally too.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:27 PM

Being that my fiance is in prison and has to deal with some bad c/o I am pretty much on the fence I mean you can be a good c/o with out being a jerk but in the same breath you are dealing with criminals they are in there because they didn't know how to act. I couldn't do it. And somebody has to and for those who know how to treat people and not judge them my hat is off to them. Not all C/O are bad and not all criminals are guilty!