Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > SHARING EXPERIENCES > It's Not All Bad Behind the Walls
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

It's Not All Bad Behind the Walls Let's talk about the good things that happen in prison. The correctional officers that have helped us, etc.

Old 03-27-2005, 11:14 PM
one lucky woman

I have had a couple of very decent conversations with some of the COs. The brighter ones seem to figure out that the system is as imperfect as its clients on some level

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2005, 01:46 AM
Banned

Default What a wonderful post

I think more co's have compassion that what they are given credit for. As he stated inmates cannot cry becasue they are taken as week, well so would a co. For the most part i would have to say the co's at the prisons i have visited have been pretty good and than there are the ones you just wanna slap. Funny thing is it's usually the females tht are so rude not the males. I am glad to see the care abou8t the inmates and it breaks my ehart to think of an inmate never receiving mail or the families disowning them.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:16 AM

I think this letter should be posted, maybe even stickied...it something to remind us on what are loved ones go thru every day ( i know my guy does what he can to hide the cold brutal facts from me)

Also to reimind us that CO's are human too...We are very fortunate. Most of the CO's that my sweetie deals with are totally real. And just like everything else. stereotyping is not the answer.

thanks for posting this...I have been a member for a year and some and had never seen this...

(til the next time)

Cyndi
The Following User Says Thank You to Wingy For This Useful Post:
lulu0378 (05-29-2011)
Old 03-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Account Closed

I work at a teen homeless shelter and I have just interviewed my third former correctional officer who wants to prevent young people from experiencing the horrors they've witnessed. I know some have big hearts.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:30 AM
BabyGirl254

Location: originally from Texas but in Florida at the moment!

I just wanted to say that letter really touched my heart as i sit here replying back tears are rolling down my face everything in his letter is so true!!! Thanks for sharing that letter lulu!!!
Old 06-30-2005, 05:53 AM
Been here forever

babygirl,

your more then welcome. I sat here reading this again, and has brought tears to my eyes as it has the bery first time I read it.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Waitin' for my soulmate!

wow, this is my 1st time reading this. So, so, true considering my sweetie is LWOP . Yes there are actually CO'S that care, but what got me was the part where he was describing the things that some of them will "never" get to do!
Thanks for sharing this.
A Thousand words could never express the amount of love and type of feelings I have for you, the ocean could never hold the tears I've cried, cuz I need you, the sky could never hold all the stars that I've wished upon wishing you were here with me or I was there with you. You are my heartbeat, my soul mate, my life. BABY, I LOVE YOU!
Old 07-08-2005, 06:52 PM

I just read that for the first time also, and yes I started crying also, when I first started reading, it sounded just like I had wrote it. I am glad to know that there are more CO's out there that think and have thought like me,I just wish there were more at the facility that I was at, so maybe things could start to change. I just couldn't do it alone. I also have to say thank you to the inmates, not just my Sgt. for showing me that they were human, had familys and feelings. I also thank, my capt, when I opened my mouth, for what I saw, he put me in the towers for about 2 months that is when I started thinking and watching everything that happens inside the walls, I have seen inmates cry and die behind the walls and some that are so old don't even remember why or how he got there so everyone please teach your children, I would never want to wish what I saw and had to do on anyone, Thanks to God that I am no longer there hopefully one day I can help out in other ways
The Following User Says Thank You to unimere For This Useful Post:
Aunt DDS (07-20-2013)
Old 07-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Closed

The letter is touching until the paragraph where the CO says he or she would shoot someone that attempted to escape, in that it is complete BS that the answer to this situation is contained in the Bible! It is their interpretation of the Bible.

A person’s job or career is NOT their authority, it is their CHOSEN vocation and they are free to leave any time they see fit. Does the author follow their chosen ‘authority’ so doggedly that they would jump off a cliff if they were asked?

What person that does not have a fascination with annihilation would be doing a job laying in wait on a watchtower, ready at the drop of a hat with their finger on the trigger.

Interesting how people use religion to suit their own purposes (yeah I know it’s been going on since the beginning of time) but then wonder why they are often seen as so blatantly uninformed and uneducated to people of other creeds and cultures!!!!

If the problem of keeping people out of prison were only as simple as people doing what they were taught by their parents (assuming everybody’s parents taught them what is deemed to be the ‘right’ thing) by society. The author makes no consideration for the fact that human nature is what it is and people are going to do what they are going to do regardless of what they were taught a lifetime ago by parents of a prior generation.

Old 07-08-2005, 08:43 PM

that is why I left. I realized that all my life I helped people, and now I was at a job that was getting to me, to were I could care less if I took a life. I realized that I gave my 2 week notice
Old 07-12-2005, 03:45 AM

It's a little more complicated than a lot of you might think to be a caring and nice CO. I work as a Corrections Officer with the group that probably needs help the most, juveniles incarcerated at the state level.

First of all, there are a lot of people who would be caring and great to incarcerated inmates. 99% of them though would never do the job. Why? It's dangerous, low paying, and oftentimes unrewarding. Furthermore, the personality type that would probably benefit the inmates the most, would also be the one that would get picked on the most by the inmates. Where the inmates might want caring staff, they drive them away by being threatening to them and giving them ****. The inmates take kindness as weakness. The next time you see an Officer being aggressive verbally, remember that he probably didn't start off this way. Instead, this was molded in time because it's simply the most effective way he could find.

Another problem I've had with being emphatheic and nice is that sometimes it feels like I'm doing it in vain. The criminality is so deeply rooted in the kids I work with, there's nothing I can say to really change them. Where I work is a revolving door. Where's my motivation to put in everything I have when I see the kids I worked with and tried for months to change, come back on charges.

Finally, one big problem is that it's hard to be "happy" and satisfied working this job. It's not great. I still never fail to feel disgusted and suprised when I come back from a few days off, at the way these people act. I spend a good portion of my day being ridiculed, disobeyed, and disrespected. Do you think it's easy for me to go from this, to being an emphatic and caring CO? Hell no, it's practically impossible. I get put through mental torture all day, it's oftentimes near impossible to snap out of it and try to help.

Remember one thing. These "guards" that you see who act inhuman etc., are just putting on a facade. They go home, take off thier uniform, put on jeans and a tee shirt, and are perfectly normal. They sit down with thier family, laugh with thier children, and enjoy life. I'm not condoning prison guards abusing inmates verbally or otherwise. I"m just trying to get you all to understand that it's not easy at all to be nice. Oftentimes our coping mechanism for this *impossible* job is to harden up, pretend like we have no personality, and snap orders in an authoritative manner.

So, these are just my observations. I'm not a career corrections officer, instead I'm merely getting a taste of a profession that I've alwways being curious about. I'd like to think that I"ve helped some people along the way. I've had multiple kids confide in me and ask for my advise, and I think they considered me to be the type of person you all hope to find in CO's. On the flip side of that coin, there are kids who hate me and think i'm a strict asshole. Why? Because I had to stick to a policy, or deny them something they felt important. I guess it's all relative.

Prison is a pretty bad place to be. As an Officer or as an inmate. Thats all I can say. I'm looking forward to finishing up my year (I promised myself I'd try it for this long) and leaving it all behind. But, if I ever have to go in a prison again (as an inmate or visitor or whatever) and I see a "mean" CO, I'll understand why he is being this way, and I won't take it personally-thats what you all should do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Niteowl For This Useful Post:
lajewell (02-10-2013)
Old 07-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Closed

Default letter that a co wrote

Niteowl, I realize that being a CO is an extremely multi-faceted and complex role, however I re-iterate my point that to be a CO is a person’s CHOSEN vocation. People are not forced into that or any other career, it’s a choice that is freely made, you said in your post that it is a career you have always been curious about.

Like attracts like, that is the fundamental law of the universe. If you spend a good portion of your day “being disobeyed, ridiculed and disrespected” that is because your own thoughts, motivations and darkness are being mirrored back at you. There is no other reason that a person chooses to work at a vocation in any surroundings, other than it is a reflection of what lies within.

“When you run into someone who is disagreeable to others, you may be sure he is uncomfortable with himself; the amount of pain we inflict upon others is directly proportional to the amount we feel within us." - Sydney J. Harris

Last edited by iluvlambchop; 07-12-2005 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: typed a wrong word
Old 07-12-2005, 01:22 PM

Peace.....A powerful peice....thank you so much for sharing! Blessings...
Old 07-12-2005, 04:12 PM

I respectfully disagree with your second paragraph. My thoughts aren't dark and bad coming into this place. Usually I'm in a pretty decent mood. In fact, sometimes I'm in great moods. That being said, those moods are oftentimes shatterred quickly because of the negativity that comes at me, and exists in jail. When I'm in a great mood and talk to a kid, he doesn't reflect my great mood and get all happy himself. He already has so much going on in his head, that the truth of the matter is that he's probably not even paying too much attention to my mental state.

Furthermore, most CO's I work with are ridiculed and disrespected. Are you suggesting that they are all in a state of "darkness" when they come to work, and this is why they get treated this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvlambchop
Niteowl, I realize that being a CO is an extremely multi-faceted and complex role, however I re-iterate my point that to be a CO is a person’s CHOSEN vocation. People are not forced into that or any other career, it’s a choice that is freely made, you said in your post that it is a career you have always been curious about.

Like attracts like, that is the fundamental law of the universe. If you spend a good portion of your day “being disobeyed, ridiculed and disrespected” that is because your own thoughts, motivations and darkness are being mirrored back at you. There is no other reason that a person chooses to work at a vocation in any surroundings, other than it is a reflection of what lies within.

“When you run into someone who is disagreeable to others, you may be sure he is uncomfortable with himself; the amount of pain we inflict upon others is directly proportional to the amount we feel within us." - Sydney J. Harris
Old 07-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Closed

No I’m not suggesting that CO’s are in a state of darkness when they go to work. What I am saying is that our level of consciousness is being reflected back to us from our interactions with others, otherwise a person would not stay in a negative environment and would choose to do something else.

For example people who are cheery and upbeat gravitate to each other, on the other hand misery loves company and if it doesn’t find it will seek it.

If a person was not curious about darkness they would not choose to work in an environment that perpetuates darkness. You mention that most CO’s you work with are ridiculed and disrespected, which that implies that some are not, i.e. we gravitate to what we are, or put in another way, water seeks it’s own level.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Reg Co's Attitudes

I AM WRITING IN REGARDS TO THE PREVIOUS COMMENTARY ON CO'S ATTITUDES WHILE AT WORK.. I TOO AM A PREVIOUS TDCJ CO.. WRKING AT A UNIT FOR ALMOST 10 YRS AND ALSO HAD OPENED THAT UNIT TILL I QUIT DUE TO AN OFFENDER AND PERSONAL REASONS.. I USED TO THINK THAT I BELONGED THERE AS MUCH AS THEY DID.. I JUST NEVER GOT CAUGHT.. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A CERTAIN DEMEANOR TO BE ABLE TO GO TO WORK AND BE AROUND THESE TYPES OF INDIVIDUALS. IF NOT YOU BETTER HIT THE GATE QUICK.. YOU ARE WHAT YOU DO INSIDE THERE.. GIVE RESPECT TO GET RESPECT.. I DID WITH THE OLD ONES THAT KNEW HOW I DID MY JOB.. ALL I CAN SAY THE NEW BOOTS HAVE ALLOT TO LEARN AND NOT GET A QUICK CHIP ON THEIR SHOULDERS LIKE I HAVE ALSO SEEN.. ITS A GOOD JOB ..BUT IT IS ALSO WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT.. WOULD LOVE TO BE BACK IN THERE.. JUST NEED TO GET THE RANK AND A FEW CO'S IN LINE FIRST ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvlambchop
No I’m not suggesting that CO’s are in a state of darkness when they go to work. What I am saying is that our level of consciousness is being reflected back to us from our interactions with others, otherwise a person would not stay in a negative environment and would choose to do something else.

For example people who are cheery and upbeat gravitate to each other, on the other hand misery loves company and if it doesn’t find it will seek it.

If a person was not curious about darkness they would not choose to work in an environment that perpetuates darkness. You mention that most CO’s you work with are ridiculed and disrespected, which that implies that some are not, i.e. we gravitate to what we are, or put in another way, water seeks it’s own level.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:04 PM

when i was in another county jail the cos from booking all the way to my realse were nice. you give respect as an inmate you get it back.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Led by the Great Spirit.

Without the kindness of the CO's in Arizona, my husband and I would have lost many visits. When they had every right to ask me not to return, because of my being left stranded in the unit, on more than one occasion and unable to follow the rules to the letter, they have done all, within thier power, to assure we did not loose our time together. They are human, so they too have bad days. But, I have visited several units, in Texas as well and I have found the majority, give the respect that they recieve.

Unfortunately, the evils of the few haze the vision of those who are watching, all too often. Inhumanity is an ugly thing and my husband has faced it. I try to remember the words of one gaurd, who said he always treats the DR inmates with respect, because he knows the system makes too many mistakes and doesn't know who the innocent men are. I thank him and the others who understand and the inhumane I leave to God.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:45 AM

i've read the letter and the responses and they are all true. i am in florida and i have not seen any prison systems yet. on the other hand i have seen the way the county jail works and it is horrible. the co's treat the inmates like they are not people. one out of maybe five show compassion while the rest act like they have something to prove. in my opinion those co's are the one's who have had it hard in their lives and see a jod as a co as a way to have and abuse authority. they have no control of anything eles so the mistreat people when they are down. those co's are scum. i pray that more co's join that want to make a positive difference and that get respect by giving respect. there should be more of a process for someone to become a co. all i want is for my future husband to be treated well until he is back in my arms so i can continue to take care of my man.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:56 AM

the same way you say that verbally abusive co do not start off that way, the inmates serving time did not start of that way. many have to chang to adapt to their new enviornment. the difference is the co gets to go home and take off his uniform. the inmate, our loved one's do not.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:22 AM

I'v worked as an C.O...an they do expect u to be a hard,uncaring person...they said i was to nice to the inmates...for I too, believed in giving respect to get respect.I had more trouble from the male officers than I did the inmates.u always seem to have these "robo cops" who think the only way to do the job ,is to be very forceful...and the more u try to use force,the more rebellion u get...
Old 11-01-2005, 12:13 PM
*everyone needs love*

yes some do have feelings and others are just mouths with no feelings...how sad it is.....angela
Old 11-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Waiting for him... again!
Donation Award 

How nice that there's actually people that have been treated humanely by CO's. I personally have not come across one. Since I've had the pleasure of being introduced to the BOP I've been treated beyond belief.

I'm 51 years old. I'm an educated woman. I'm well dressed. I'm well versed. I walk into that prison every single time with a big smile on my face. I make a point to say good morning to the CO sitting there. I thank them for holding the door open for me as we walk into the visiting room. I do EVERYTHING I can to be respectful to these officers.

I've been treated horribly. My "good mornings" fall on deaf ears. They hardly acknowledge my presence. I've had the pen thrown at me when I went to sign in. I've had my keys thrown at me upon leaving. That's just the tip of the iceberg. I've witnessed this treatment to other visitors as well. They use intimidation. They try to strip every shed of human dignity away from those of us who have done nothing wrong.

If they treat me so disrespectfully, what are they doing to my man? What are they doing to your loved one? I would normally not stand for such treatment, however; I fear retaliation if I report them.

One of these outstanding officers was kind enough to snitch to the other inmates about his crime. That's not allowed. He added things that he didn't do to make it seem worse than it is. Now he's treated horribly by the other inmates, as if their crimes of murder and rape are so much better! They make his life a living hell on a daily basis. Good job!

I work with the public every day and would NEVER think of treating someone the way I've been treated. I know the value of kindness and compassion when you're dealing with people. I see none of that from the CO's I've come into contact with.

No, you obviously DON'T always get what you give as one person posted. I did not walk into this situation with an attitude or disliking anyone. They worked very hard to make me feel this way.
2018 Club #1 Member

Lee, I'll always be there to water the flowers

May 2010 be a kinder, gentler year for my PTO family.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:27 PM

I have days when I want to choke the crap out them, I'll admit it. And I have to sit back, take a breath, and figure out why a normally non-problematic inmate has suddenly lost his damn mind. And then when I pry a little deeper, it's almost always a result of something going on at home. A relative died and he can't go to the funeral. His child is ill and there's nothing he can do to help. He can't reach his wife and has been entertaining thoughts of her being with someone else. Guys that normally receive mail...if they go two days go without receipt of mail, I start to notice subtle mood changes. Or I can't get the normally jovial wardkeeper to buff the floors and he's suddenly fighting with people in the cafeteria over a piece of cake. Things like that...sometimes there's a deeper explanation, but there are some COs who really don't care about all of that and will make no effort to work with the inmates at all.

I felt horrible last weekend when our CRT went down, and some of the visitors had to be turned away because they were not on back-up visitor's lists. It was horrible. While doing security checks that Saturday, I'd seen the men getting all gussied up and getting ready for their visits. Got their best boots on and best-looking uniform, only to get to the control room and only be able to wave goodbye to their loved ones through glass.

It's very tricky, because I cannot counsel them. I can listen, but I can't listen for too long. I can be empathetic, but not show too much kindness in expression or emotion. As a mother myself, there's that nurturing part of me that wants to offer advice yet my tongue is tied.

But like someone said on this board, when it's all said and done, I get to leave all policy and procedure behind every night, throw on my jeans and t-shirts, and lead an otherwise normal-boring-girl life.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Donation Award 

Thank You LuLu,
That was heart whelming and brought tears to my eyes beacuse I know it's true. Thats the hard part of the letter as it doesn't matter what prison it is there is nothing but heart break in them. Everyone has to act tuff and not let anyone see any weekness CO included as that is thier way of living and it truely breaks my heart. As a parent I tried to teach my boys right from wrong but as they grow they fallow how they want. It doesn't matter how you try to stop them the only thing left in the end is to stand by them and let them know they are loved no matter what! So many of my tears are for all that are incarcerated and many prayers for them. May God Bless them all.