Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > SHARING EXPERIENCES > It's Not All Bad Behind the Walls
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

It's Not All Bad Behind the Walls Let's talk about the good things that happen in prison. The correctional officers that have helped us, etc.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:29 PM
C.O

The qualifications for a being a C.O are lower than policing. Anyone can get the job but not everyone can do the job. It does take a special person to do the job effectively. If you cannot manage people there are is no amount of time measured in weeks, days or hours in an academy or school or classroom that will give you what you need to do the job. Some people learn quick, some long and some never learn.

Personally I think having a two year old is good training for becoming a C.O. The similarities being two year old's don't listen, they will always do anything they can to stay up later, you can catch them in the act of doing something and they will deny and they will take things from people because they figure they are entitled. Not saying inmates are two year old's but their behaviors can be similar.

Fed Officer is right our job is not to punish many C.O's don't realize that. The good ones do. Good C.O's realize that respect is earned and its earned by being firm and fair. Good C.O's also realize that people don't care how a situation effects the C.O only how it affects the person (s) involved so spend the time explaining how the situation will affect the inmates and usually things will go well.

Some C.O's don't have any other power in their lives so when they come to work they have to make the most of it. These aren't effective C.O's and all although the get the job done they cannot do the job the way it should be.

I think another issue is the age of the Officers. Life experience is VERY important in this job. Someone in their 20's who has just graduated school or university probably still lives at home doesn't have the life experience to be given so much responsibility. Some cannot get to work on time daily but they are handed the responsibility of 40, 50 o 60 people who have trouble sticking to the rules and in some cases taking care of themselves and making decisions for themselves. I see this daily. I see these young guys take stupid stuff personally and not realize that by getting upset the aggressor has won.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadian C.O For This Useful Post:
montysmom (01-09-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 AM

Default Maybe it's because you work in a more progessive place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian C.O View Post
The qualifications for a being a C.O are lower than policing. Anyone can get the job but not everyone can do the job. It does take a special person to do the job effectively. If you cannot manage people there are is no amount of time measured in weeks, days or hours in an academy or school or classroom that will give you what you need to do the job. Some people learn quick, some long and some never learn.

Personally I think having a two year old is good training for becoming a C.O. The similarities being two year old's don't listen, they will always do anything they can to stay up later, you can catch them in the act of doing something and they will deny and they will take things from people because they figure they are entitled. Not saying inmates are two year old's but their behaviors can be similar.

Fed Officer is right our job is not to punish many C.O's don't realize that. The good ones do. Good C.O's realize that respect is earned and its earned by being firm and fair. Good C.O's also realize that people don't care how a situation effects the C.O only how it affects the person (s) involved so spend the time explaining how the situation will affect the inmates and usually things will go well.

Some C.O's don't have any other power in their lives so when they come to work they have to make the most of it. These aren't effective C.O's and all although the get the job done they cannot do the job the way it should be.

I think another issue is the age of the Officers. Life experience is VERY important in this job. Someone in their 20's who has just graduated school or university probably still lives at home doesn't have the life experience to be given so much responsibility. Some cannot get to work on time daily but they are handed the responsibility of 40, 50 o 60 people who have trouble sticking to the rules and in some cases taking care of themselves and making decisions for themselves. I see this daily. I see these young guys take stupid stuff personally and not realize that by getting upset the aggressor has won.
Canada doesn't have the off-the-charts incarceration rate that the US, especially that the Southern US has. Is it possible that your culture breeds a certain civility and that brings about an environment that's less interested in taking revenge on the inmates?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:57 AM
C.O

Anything is possible. Could be that in the institution I work in there is more Good C.O's that can do the job. Could be the way the jail is run by the higher ups creating a harsh or less environment. Might be the average or experience of a C.O is lower or higher. Would be interesting to find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwareNow View Post
Canada doesn't have the off-the-charts incarceration rate that the US, especially that the Southern US has. Is it possible that your culture breeds a certain civility and that brings about an environment that's less interested in taking revenge on the inmates?

Last edited by Canadian C.O; 01-10-2012 at 09:58 AM..
Old 07-24-2012, 02:59 PM

During my time in first state, then federal prison most CO's I encountered were just there to do their job and go home.

Most were decent people trying to provide for their families and earn a living.

Now and then I encountered...CO's who seemed to enjoy making inmates' lives harder. However I never got angry, I held hard feelings back by remembering it was MY fault I was behind bars, not his or anyone else's and if I hadn't made poor decisions to begin with I wouldn't even be here for him to mess with.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 AM

I wont call them CO I call them Guards. (The week before I was arrested, I was talking to my Commanding Officer, that was a CO)
While I was in County, I had one good Guard, the rest would play games with people. Lock ten people in a cell, give us 2 rolls of Toilet Paper, then yell at us and blow us off when we asked for more. Over 24 hours passed, no more was given. That happened often. File a Grievance to get more, we had our cell flipped at 2am for three days in a row. No one had Rec for over a week before that, and not allowed out of our cell, so why three days in a row to flip our cell?
One Guard would light up our cell and kill our TV every hour on the hour, so he could do head count. He would kill the TV if he popped in to ask us a question. And when he flipped our cell, our bed mats where tossed into the shower area, all of them.
The same Guard would like to make an upwards chopping when doing a pat down around the legs (guess would got "chopped")
I had my diet messed up daily and was told "dont like it, dont eat it" it was on the tray, no Dairy, it was not a matter of like, it was a matter of could not eat.
Our toilet flushed 3 times in an hour, then it would lock up if we tried more, until reset or until an hour past. 10 guys + One bathroom. Most refused to reset it, and if they knew we were going to remind them they said they would, they rushed down the hall and ignored us. All they had to do was push a button. Then if they wanted to check our cell, if it had not been flushed, we got in trouble. How is that even human?
The one Guard who acted like we were people, was the one that got the most crap from the other Guards.
And God forbid you are in a PC cell, the Guards told the Hall Boys all sort of crap, in front of us, about each cell and the people in it. The same hall boys that brought us our food and cleaning cart.
The Guards called us "A**hole" and "Hey Convict" all the time, would only call the Hispanics "Amigo", even to the point when a Middle Eastern man kept telling them they didnt speak Spanish, and was from Iraq, he was still "Amigo" and only given paperwork in Spanish.

I am not saying all Law Enforcement is bad. I have a lot of family that are Police. One was a Jailer. (And he had stories about where he had to stop other Jailers from roughing up people, over little things for fun.) But County Guards are "Pretend Judges" or just there for a pay check. And it's always your word and theirs, and their bosses tend to side with them.