Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > SHARING EXPERIENCES > It's Not All Bad Behind the Walls
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

It's Not All Bad Behind the Walls Let's talk about the good things that happen in prison. The correctional officers that have helped us, etc.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:14 PM
"Betty" Fan

Default This HAPPY Forum....

"It ain't all bad behind the walls" is pretty much what the title says.
Most of us here have loved ones in prison, have been there ourselves, or know someone who is on their way.
We have heard the horror stories of prison life. However, there are some positive stories too.
This forum is designed to let people talk about the GOOD things they or their loved ones have experienced while being locked up.
Incarceration isn't fun for anyone. Everyone suffers. But there is a ray of light after every storm, and this is the place to talk about it.
Have a good time! We all need to hear something positive in our not-so- positive journeys!
Your friend- Jeni

Last edited by Jeni; 08-24-2003 at 09:05 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeni For This Useful Post:
mannyslove10 (05-09-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2003, 12:53 PM

Hi Jeni. Thank you for this forum. I like positive stories, especially when they are true. I have been visiting my husband at Folsom State Prison (Northern Ca) for nearly 2 years. When I first began visiting, the CO's treated the visitors like garbage. They always gave you a "You are a scum bag" look while processing. A lot of them even took the time to tell us what losers most of these men were. Anyway, the last 6 months or so have been almost bearable...you know what I mean? One of the CO's puts in these fake gross teeth to tease the kids (and the adults), it was a little girl's BD 2 weeks ago and the CO's all sang (and made the entire visiting room sing) happy BD to her on the intercom, and it just keeps getting better. I have to say that it's my opinion that the families themselves made the visiting better by actually complaining and let their voices be heard. It's so easy to gripe and complain but if you are unwilling to help make changes, or at least, suggestions on how to change, your complaints go straight into the universe of negativity. However, with the Family Council as strong as it looks to be, combined with a lot of strong family-members asking for change, FSP is becoming a place not-so unbearable.
The Following User Says Thank You to mamawen For This Useful Post:
doc11 (02-18-2013)
Old 12-05-2003, 03:38 PM

thanks for helping me feel a little better. I have yet seen my husband and I'm scard half to death. It's not because I haven't wanted to see him, they haven't let me yet.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni
Most of us here have loved ones in prison, have been there ourselves, or know someone who is on their way.
We have heard the horror stories of prison life. However, there are some positive stories too.
This forum is designed to let people talk about the GOOD things they or their loved ones have experienced while being locked up.
Incarceration isn't fun for anyone. Everyone suffers. But there is a ray of light after every storm, and this is the place to talk about it.
Have a good time! We all need to hear something positive in our not-so- positive journeys!
Your friend- Jeni

ok...the good things or the good part of it all...well,I gotta say to me that I always consider it a BAD thing,BUT I have to admit that going to jail or/and prison has actually infact SAVED my life a couple of times.Its kind of ironic to think,but there were a few times that I had just become so tired and so bad off that I couldn't remove my self from the bad situations I was in and that my getting locked up for a good while did probably infact not only remove me from a bad situation but saved my life.I mean I couldn't exactly very well just use anytime I liked(tho did manage to sometimes still..incarcarated)still it gave me the time and some tools I needed to work with..with a clearer mind,as to how Im going to deal w/ situations...things I could not have POSSIBLY done had I not gone.Also thru some of the na and aa mtgs. that a few of my cell mates usually had to get me too kickin n screamin,I still finally managed to get there and a seed was indeed planted into my head tho at the time it may not have begun to grow...point is that it would not have ever got there had I NOT ever been in that predicament.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:40 PM

I have dealt with Folsom Prison the past 3 weeks, and I must admit that I have been rather pleased with their treatment on the phone. When I call to speak to a particular department, the staff are very nice and actually follow-up like I ask. They return phone calls as requested, and seem to be pretty nice. However, I'm sure things are different in person when visiting a loved one, I have yet to experience such treatment because the Prison has screwed up my Visiting application. But it is nice to hear that they are changing their behavior and treating the visitors the way they should be treated, with respect! Now that I have to re-submit my application all over again, I won't be approved to see my Man until another six weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make sure my 2nd application gets processed? I filled out the application honestly and completly, and even included my Soc. Sec. #. I have nothing in my background that would prevent me from getting approved. Besides making a copy of the form before I mail it back in, what else can I do?
Old 04-02-2004, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni
Your friend- Jeni
Hi Jene,
I served 27 years in prison and in my view prison is a terribly rotton place to be in. But, I also met some of the most giving and caring people in prison. I went in at the age of 22 and learned to share and give from prisoners older than I. Many thought me valuable lessons without expecting anything in return. Some helped me with my legal work for months and months and would not charge me nor allow me to pay them. It was'nt very long before I was giving and helping others, and enjoying it. It helped me to sleep at night and feel good about myself.
I knew one correction offercer that cried and hugged me on his last night when he retired.
I have many good stories perhaps at anohter time I'll share more.
Siincerely,
Jorge
The Following User Says Thank You to Jorge For This Useful Post:
David (03-28-2017)
Old 09-15-2005, 08:04 PM
Closed

Wow from the looks of thing no one has posted anything positive in sometime now. I would like to report that while is time for my loved one and I has been very difficult. This time has allowed him to get his mind clear and his body cleaned up. And during this time God has been molding him into a better person.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Soul Mate/Wife

Well, i can add to this happy thread, my husband was playing soft ball in a game and i guess he thought he was out in the free world playing ball, and went for a line drive and drove himself and his shoulder right into the dirt. he called me and was "babys my arm hurts real bad, before he even told me what happened i said what did you do? playing ball, lifting weights? he then told me playing ball. i am just glad he is able to keep his mind busy, so busy he is telling me he stopped eating red meat and now wants me to stop eating red meat. i love red meat. so see even thought he is there and away from his loved ones, he still can try to live a little like he is in the free world. i just wanted to share this information with you

Anthony is the best thing that ever came into my life

April 11th our 8 years of marriage
Old 09-17-2005, 02:53 PM

Well guys I have a happy story. My husband has been serving a 2 year sentence at the local D.C. Even though this has been a horrible experience, there have deffinately been good things that have come of this. He is totally clean and sober. His whole perspective has turned around. He has become the great man and father that I always knew he could be. He was saved and baptised at the end of last spring. We talk about our faith and we pray together every night. Before he went in I never thought I'd we'd come together on that level. For a long time I was worried that this would just be temporary and that when he came home he would slip back into his old ways. He has recently been granted work release. He has alot more 'freedom' now and he actually gets to be home a few hours a day. He has totally stuck with it. He wouldn't even talk to one of his old 'friends' when they called the house. He has kept his focus on God and family. I guess God has a way of getting people the way he wants them. This has been a really hard time for us, but I have to admit that this was probably the best thing that could have ever happened to our family. The jail took in a man that I was madly in love with, they gave me back a man that I had always dreamed about!!!
Old 09-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Closed

That is awesome!!! Praise God
Old 10-09-2005, 08:31 PM

My brother-in-law just died two weeks ago. He was 48, in and out of prison most of his life, mostly drugs. He was released earlier this year, with still a year to serve, but he was diagnosed terminally ill and only had a few months to live. While in prison he was able to find his way back to God and left this world knowing he would be safe in God's hands.
At his funeral my husband was asked to speak and he told the people gathered that it doesn't matter where you find the Lord, as long as you find him. Prison religion has gotten a bad rap in the past, but it has done a lot of good for a lot of people. These are some of the people that need to hear God's word the most.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Closed

i am so sorry for ur lose, good thing is ur brother-in-law isn't suffering anymore and got to go home to the Lord. You know ur husband is right, it really doesn't matter where u find the Lord, just as long as u find him.
who so ever believeth in him
shall not parish but
have ever lasting life
John 3:16
Old 02-28-2016, 05:21 AM

Unhappy sad

Really really sad that going to prison makes you happy. Being there should not makes you well off or make you feel better. Unless your someone who did not commit the crime then prison should be the last place you want to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica cole View Post
ok...the good things or the good part of it all...well,I gotta say to me that I always consider it a BAD thing,BUT I have to admit that going to jail or/and prison has actually infact SAVED my life a couple of times.Its kind of ironic to think,but there were a few times that I had just become so tired and so bad off that I couldn't remove my self from the bad situations I was in and that my getting locked up for a good while did probably infact not only remove me from a bad situation but saved my life.I mean I couldn't exactly very well just use anytime I liked(tho did manage to sometimes still..incarcarated)still it gave me the time and some tools I needed to work with..with a clearer mind,as to how Im going to deal w/ situations...things I could not have POSSIBLY done had I not gone.Also thru some of the na and aa mtgs. that a few of my cell mates usually had to get me too kickin n screamin,I still finally managed to get there and a seed was indeed planted into my head tho at the time it may not have begun to grow...point is that it would not have ever got there had I NOT ever been in that predicament.

Last edited by smithea; 02-28-2016 at 05:24 AM..
Old 02-28-2016, 05:25 AM

Really really sad that going to prison makes you happy. Being there should not makes you well off or make you feel better. Unless your someone who did not commit the crime then prison should be the last place you want to be.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:57 AM

My husband getting arrested saved our lives! We are both clean and sober, I got a good job, the kids love having there mom and dad back. Hopefully he will be out in about 2 weeks and he can move forward also. He laughs, and cries again we can have a talk without it blowing up. He is reading a book lol!! I k miss him but to be honest if the crazyness wasn't stopped by an outside consiquence he probably would be dead! I just pray it's all genuine, I think it is he always kinda slide through the cracks before. Miss him!
Old 03-24-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni View Post
Your friend- Jeni
Hi Jeni,

Thanks for such a postive thread.Ok, nobody wants to go to prison and I wasn't even expecting to go for a first time white collar offence but thiswas years ago and I gotr through it as have somany here. You do make good friends inside and learn a lpt about yourself and other people and now I cansee the funny side too (ok it probably helped that i hafe no kids and and was single the time).Youcome out stronger and its all experience , however unpleasant psarts of it are. Veronica made a good pint saying that prison save spome peoples lives.THhs is undoubtedly true and it puts many others on the correct path again.

Also, I'd like to praise prison educational prpgrammes.My girlfriend is serving 6 years at present and has passed a GED/completed a cosmetology course.She's very proud and can see the [positibv even funny side too.(I'm not surte grey sweats were my color and sge doesen;' like the log shorts thiugh.