Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Texas Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Missin' my SoulM8

Default Contact Visit.... HELP

Hi, if anyone has advice it would be greatly appreciated. My boyfriend is at the Holliday Unit in Huntsville. We are not allowed contact visits because we are not married. I have written the warden several times in regards to this, and she has denied it every time. I thought if no one else visits him he could designate one person for contact? Also, his kids will be flying in to spend the summer with me, and I am trying to get a contact visit for them, and no luck as of yet. I dont know what I am doing wrong. What can I do in order to get a contact visit for him and his kids at least?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2006, 12:13 PM

Did the warden turn down your request to have the visit with his children?
Old 06-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Texas Tornado
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,156 Times in 599 Posts

It is under the wardens discresion if he wants to allow contact visits like this. You aren't doing anything wrong, what they are doing is just part of policy. You may have to wait to till he is transfered to another unit to get it done. You also should have your BF try and I60 the warden to ask it himself as well as asking for special priviliage sinec his children are coming. Go that route first. Best of luck to you!!
Old 06-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Missin' my SoulM8

Ys, the warden denied the visit. Her secretary had said she wanted to know why their own mother cant bring them. I had told her because they are divorce, and lives 10 hours away, and would not come to Texas just so he could have a visit with his kids, and she is not on the visitation list as well. I just feel so bad, he is doing so good in there, and I know this would of helped his confidence. He is working and going to school, no cases - no disciplinary actions. He also requested a contact via I-60 which was declined. :-(
Old 06-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Texas Tornado
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,156 Times in 599 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I would suggest trying at the next unit to get them. Some wardens are tough on this. Dont give up hope though!
Old 06-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Missin' my SoulM8

Thank You, although it is so hard to not give up hope, as most of these loved ones behind the walls are doing their time, doing good hoping for a little a little piece of hope and something like this happens. I just worry his way of thinking would be " I'm doing all this, for what? " But I will have to find a gentle way to tell him. He was so looking forward to seeing his kids too. That is all he had talked about for the past 4 months we have been planning to fly them here to Texas. Thanks for the encouragement though.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:20 PM

Since the Warden has denied the contact visit with you, is there a relative that could take the children? Usually, they only approve a special contact visit for the children's mother or a direct relative. It is totally at the Warden's discretion to let you have a contact or not. It has a lot to do with time in the system and time between visits. An inmate who has been down for quite some time and never gets visited is more likely to get approved...as opposed to an inmate that receives regular visits. You can always call and find out who the Duty Warden is for the weekend you are planning (hoping) on taking the kids...then you can contact that Warden/Major...as long as it isn't the Senior Warden...or his/her secretary. Explain the circumstances. See, if he/she will approve a one time contact visit for you with his children for that particular weekend. Sometimes, the Majors or Asst. Wardens will allow such a visit on their weekend. It just depends on that particular Major/Asst. Warden. If you are still decline, then you will both have to wait until he is transferred to a unit where the Warden approves you or the Warden changes on his unit. Or, until you are married. Best of luck.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:05 PM

I know what you are going through. I floew from Germany to Texas last year to visit my Son. Because I am o/o disabiled I couldn´t fly alone and took my daughter-in-law with me. I was not able to get her in for the contact visit either and she had to wait in the car by the gate until I finished my visit It was her first visit to the USA and she doesn´t speak a word of english so altho I enjoyed seeing my son it was hard knowing she had to sit in a hot car and wait. It also didn´t give her a very good impression of American friendship for foreigners.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Missin' my SoulM8

Unfortunately, there is no relative that can take the kids, other than me. His Mom is here with me in Austin, but is not on the visitation list - so I can still take the kids and have a regular visit I guess, that is better than none.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Missin' my SoulM8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Flat
You can always call and find out who the Duty Warden is for the weekend you are planning (hoping) on taking the kids...then you can contact that Warden/Major...as long as it isn't the Senior Warden...or his/her secretary. Explain the circumstances. See, if he/she will approve a one time contact visit for you with his children for that particular weekend.
Would I do that on the day of the visit, or should it be done in advance? Would the Warden/ Major refer to the previous decision of the Senior Warden?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:23 AM

Not sure about that. I just know that my grandson's father was not on his list to visit because he lives in Florida. He just showed up at the Torres Unit on a Sat. and explained who he was, and they let him visit for a one time visit, until he got put on the list. Like someone said, it is up to the Warden. Good Luck!!! I now he wants to see his kids.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:35 PM

Your best bet is to call now and find out who will be the Duty Warden. Then talk to him/her...or his/her secretary to find out. It is better to know now, rather than find out the day you visit. Plus, a lot of Majors/Wardens do not approve Special visits the if you just show up and ask for them. They prefer that you go through the proper process of calling in advance. You can just get a general feel for things. If it sounds like he/she will approve a one time Special visit for you, then you can call back the week before the visit to get the official approval that is placed in the visitation book. Also, if he hasn't made a change to his visitation list in the last 6 months, then he can add his mom to his list. Oh...if they won't approve the Special Contact visit, then you can see about getting a Special 4 hour visit because his children live so far away. You may need proof of where they live though. If their mom is on this visitation list...that would help out. I wish you the best of luck. Either way, it will do everyone good for them to see each other.