Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Friends & Families of Addicts
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Friends & Families of Addicts Information for coping, dealing & living with a loved one's addictive behavior.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Default Him and addiction

So, just got off the phone with the love of my life earlier. And it went extremely well. We actually talked like the adults we are supposed to be, lol.
So, I assume I am not alone in the fact the this sh*t is hard! Some days harder than others. I miss him so much some days all I can do is cry.
We both are concerned with when he is released. He and I both have a really ugly past with addiction. He said on the phone "Baby, it won't be the lack of love between us that separate's us, it will be our willingness to follow each other to the depths of hell for another hit". So true. But, we are communicating about it. He can't get in anymore trouble. Although, he will be off paper, he has a stack of felonies. He will go back for life if anything else happens. I don't want to see that happen. More importantly, I don't want to see myself lose everything I have fought so hard to get back. Do any of you ladies go through addiction stuff also with your guy?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2014, 07:50 PM
Spook's Lazy Butt

addiction is really hard, i walked away from my ex husband of 5 years because no matter what he loved drugs more then me, after that relationship i fell into addiction my self i was on drugs when i met my bf now we are MWI but i had to stop drugs because of him, i looked at it this way, how can i be here for him if i go to prison, and hes already in prison. i had to find other things to occupy my time, find a passion in something else and put the effort into it.

The Following User Says Thank You to LillyVphoenix For This Useful Post:
Mikesgirl73 (08-22-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 PM

Yea my latest little stunt in county did not make him happy. AT all. Rightfully so, I suppose.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:07 PM
Heathen

I am older then you I am 100 percent sure. So don't take this as harsh or mean but the truth. Put your big girl panties on and help your self. You can't drag another human being up unless you are clear and strong. The only way to help him is to help your self. I have followed your posts Grow up that means being responsible for your self, for being accountable to your self and do what you need to do, career, education and making amends. It's not easy but it's necessary to move
up and onward. After you do for you then maybe you can offer him something. This isn't ment in rudeness but in the truth
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gawgapeach For This Useful Post:
Chapel (08-22-2014), frostwoman1954 (08-22-2014), LillyVphoenix (08-22-2014), Mikesgirl73 (08-22-2014), Monkey Mookie (08-22-2014), xolady (08-23-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 09:25 PM

Not offended at all ms gawga. I'm aware of this. Trust and believe I've had to face some ugly "truth's" about myself lately. Not easily done, but necessary.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikesgirl73 For This Useful Post:
xolady (08-23-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Heathen

Listen butter cup love isn't really soft and sweet its hard and it's long and it's dirty. It says the ugly truth and stands there to defend it. It's not a willing Sid kick its the light at the end of a tunnel. So with or without, love yourself, and if he is worthy he will find his way, if not oh well. You may loose him or not but don't loose your self

I'm not preaching to you just saying

Last edited by Gawgapeach; 08-22-2014 at 09:38 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gawgapeach For This Useful Post:
Monkey Mookie (08-22-2014), xolady (08-23-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Listen butter cup
Buttercup? lol. I got you. Respect the honesty ;-)
Old 08-23-2014, 01:55 PM

Thanked 5,948 Times in 3,103 Posts

Yes me and my husband have a long ass road of addictions. I think I slide through a lot of problems that he didn't. When he comes home this time we are living a whole different life. I live in a very rural area, granted if I want dope I can find it. I choose not to be around it and if he does he's doing it w/out me. I think it had a lot to do with finally growing up, I had to. I was a walking zombie!! I'd stay up for weeks at a time then just collapse. Then I'd sleep walk, very scary waking up not knowing where I was or how I got there. This was all after he got arrested and judge revoked his bond. We talk about the bad stuff that's happened to us both because of drugs. Mainly we talk about how much nicer life is with out them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
AnarchyHeart (08-23-2014), crazylove25 (08-24-2014), Mikesgirl73 (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 11:20 AM
Doughgirl

Mine is currently in and now sentenced to finish out his remaining probation due to having 3 dirty drops in 2 months. He has had addiction issues for years. While I enjoy my natural self-medication still, it's nearly legal, I have struggled with some other addiction issues. I feel I was able to get a hold on it rather quickly. We have kept each other clean of our culprit for 2 years, until he slipped up. However, he had other addictions as well. We currently have a 4 month old son, I tried to get him to stay clean during my pregnancy for when the baby arrived. He dropped dirty after our son was born and has been in for 2 months now. He'll have to do 9 total unless he can find other ways to reduce it. The time isn't that long, except he can not hold his son. He calls several times a day and we video visit 3x a week but it isn't the same. Since he's been gone, I slipped once. But, I know my triggers and I'm really all my son has at the moment, I had to get my head out of my a** quickly. I know this is something he's struggled with most his life and he had a lot of stress happen before he left, but I'm still angry deep inside that we are now in this situation. He says that things will change and he's getting a handle on it all. He's actually a smart guy and realistic about himself. I'm afraid that what he's saying now though will change when he comes home. He'll be off probation and everything finally when he gets home. But, he's in the same boat, he catches another case and he'll be gone for life. He missed 5 years with his other 2 kids. For his and our son's sake, I don't want him missing anymore time with us.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:37 AM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,181 Times in 7,109 Posts

Hi there. I moved your thread over to this forum because this forum is more about addiction, etc, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
xolady (08-27-2014)
Old 08-27-2014, 02:54 PM
My ❤ is in Cali Moderator

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Donation Award 

Heroin and the chasing of it was a large portion of my guy's first 2 strikes. He did get a possession charge with his 3rd strike, but the other charges were the real problem.

He is pretty anti drug now, and wasn't even crazy when I told him I occasionally take rx meds for my back (had a work injury and failed back surgery.)
CDCr kicked him out of the SHU, YAY!!!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:20 PM

We met using together. It's actually kind of ironic...I was on the street and so was he, he saw me and said he knew I KNEW where to get some dope...he walked up to me and ask and I was like "Nah dude you look like a cop" (And he does!) Anyway, he was like "No I swear, look I just got out of Prison , here's my prison I.D, I got $300" I was like..ummmm ok then...haha. Anywhoo..that was the beginning for us. It was not pretty, we saw a lot of darkness and things got ugly. We managed to get it together for a while and stay away from the dope (crack cocaine), but ended up back there. I was with him the night he was arrested, we had been "hustling". After he left, there I was, still getting high acting a damn fool. Took me a long time to pull it together. But I have done that. Yea I still have a long way to go, but I stay away from people who get high. I Don't smoke crack cocaine anymore and just have decided that there's a lot more to life than crack, a crack pipe and a piece of brillo!!
I spent way to many years losing the people I love and everything I worked for over and over again. It just isn't worth it.
I just worry about he and I together sometimes, because although he is VERY adamant about not going back down that road again and so am I, we all know it only takes one. Well for me anyway. One just ain't ever enough. And although I do well with it now, I just hope and pray he doesn't ever say "Baby, let's go get a rock" because then I have to make a decision. My Man or my life. And today I would have to pick my life. I've came to damn far to go back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikesgirl73 For This Useful Post:
Sammy's Girl (08-28-2014), xolady (08-27-2014)
Old 08-28-2014, 09:04 AM
My ❤ is in Cali Moderator

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Donation Award 

Sounds like you are making a smart decision.

It does get easier with time and a change of scenery (location, friends, etc.) Have you considered meetings? I never did them, but there were many times I would have really liked the support.
CDCr kicked him out of the SHU, YAY!!!
Old 08-29-2014, 09:24 PM
tired

Thanked 14,167 Times in 3,687 Posts

I know I can't be with someone that has the same addiction as me because if he fell I would probably go back too. But that's me and I still have to protect my sobriety. I can only work 1 program and am not strong enough yet to mentor or sponsor.