Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Friends & Families of Addicts
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Friends & Families of Addicts Information for coping, dealing & living with a loved one's addictive behavior.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:40 PM

Default Proposition 36

Can someone explain the in's and out's of California's Proposition 36? They didn't explain a thing. No explaination, no handouts, not even a pink flyer.......
What I know about it so far I've gotten from talking to other prop. 36 participants while we all wait for our turn to drop off our pee.

If I got railroaded man!! Any info would be great!!

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:02 PM
We Will Get Through This

karl143,
Below is a link where you can get all the info you could need re: prop 36...

http://www.nationalfamilies.org/guide/california36.html

Let me know...is this what type of info u r looking for?
Old 12-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Banned

Prop. 36 is a good thing - or so I hear from those who AREN'T in prison because they got it.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:29 PM
Donation Award 

My son's experience with it has been good and bad, depending on the county. The main problem I see is that it is left up to each individual program how it is run and how it will be implimented. In one county it is almost impossible to complete the program successfully. After several months and a couple of arrests, my son chose two years in prison to doing their variation of the program. I've heard in other places it's really a great program. Just depends on if the person running it wants to assist the offender with their problems or if they just want to "lock 'em up". My son was dealing with a very conservative, punitive court.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:01 AM

Default Prop 36 Help

I tried to complete the treatment as they wanted but it was too much for me to keep up with. Being my first time in trouble with the law, and the first time in treatment.....the whole experience was a nightmare. In anycase, i tried to contact my po but couldn't. Time as now gone by and i have found out i has a warrant.

My question is if I show up at my POs office and ask her to put me in another program....will they arrest me and throw me in jail? They aren't suppose to right? I mean I'm not saying i'm refusing treatment. I just wasn't comfortable with the people the first time around. And i have no record besides this one misdeamor. Not one prior. None.

Cause I'm scared to go down there....please any info would be appreciated.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:39 AM

a probation violation is almost always a trip to jail if a warrant has already been issed it's only a matter of time....I'd prepare for the worst, pray for the best and do the the right thing and turn yourself into your PO before he has to hunt you down.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:15 AM

Ive been on prop 36 since february 2007 and just finished going to court fighting a VOP charge, which I won. the PO told me that they violate people to bring them back into the office so they can be put back into the program, not to put people in jail. Before I was on prop 36 i found out I had a warrant so i called the criminal records dept and verified with clerk who then gave me a court date to quash the warrant and deal with charge. At that court date the judge quashed warrant and made it a point to say he would let me go out of custody because I voluntarily went to court to handle it. From the time i talked to the clerk to my actual court date, the warrant was still active.
The Following User Says Thank You to bardwoman For This Useful Post:
brieezie (10-20-2014)
Old 11-02-2007, 07:27 PM

Prop 36 isn't a good thing due to the fact there aren't enough treatment programs to go with it. so much as a late monthly report is considered a violation that is not drug related which lands you in the pen.
The Following User Says Thank You to dontime For This Useful Post:
brieezie (10-20-2014)
Old 11-03-2007, 09:26 PM

You are right. On prop 36 you are given 3 chances to mess up as long as they are drug related; however, one non-drug-related violation can send you straight to prison. Throughout my whole court case fighting a violation for a non-drug-related offense, I was shocked how many times the DA and the PO told me "no matter if you win or lose, you're still going to be on probation and have to come into the PO office" along with "its your first violation, you still have two more chances". all said in the same breath. Basicaly, they were saying why fight it. My response was "how about no violations!" and i kept fighting it because i knew i was in the right. GRRrrrrrr!
Old 10-20-2014, 02:35 AM

i know its been a while since this post, but a misdemeanor charge can not land one in prison-- county jail yes, but not prison. Just thought I would clarify