Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The War on Drugs - and the results of it
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The War on Drugs - and the results of it A war against drugs, or against families?

View Poll Results: Do you think the that first-time felon drug charges should be thrown in prison?
Yes 54 6.91%
No 727 93.09%
Voters: 781. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2010, 04:04 PM
John'sBaby

My husband is serving a 9 yr sentence at 80%. This is not the first time he has gotten in trouble but I agree that he needs rehab. I tried to push for it but his attorney said that the judge and da would not go for it. So we took the deal, he is doing great. 200 pounds, tons of muscle from exercise. He is looking at this in a positive light.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2010, 02:49 PM
John'sBaby

Well we are now looking into getting him into rehab. The salvation army said they would approach the courts with his acceptance once he is accepted and see if they will go for it. He has already been sentenced in one county and is awaiting sentencing in the other county but all we can do is try for this and pray that God does what is his will in our lives.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:40 PM

I voted no. Only the dealers should be in prison, in my opinion. Addiction is a sickness, not a crime.

I also think it's none of the government's business what a person chooses to do to their body. Smoke marijuana every day, shoot up heroin, smoke crack--how are any of those worse than smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol? It all screws up your body and mind.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Donation Award 

My man is in jail on a drug charge. Its a delivery charge- $20- pills. The judge sentenced him to 1-5 and hes done 46 days so we still have the reconsideration that he could get out on but Im not holding my breath. Hes never been in trouble- never even had a speeding ticket so I think to throw him in jail over that is awfully harsh. In my town, there was a drug bust and 60 some people were arrested for drugs. On the day he was sentenced, there were 9 people there on drug related charges- 7 went to jail and 2 got home confinement. Drugs are obviously a problem but I dont throwing the people in jail is really solving the problem. They should be sent to rehab to get help for their problem.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
Old 07-02-2010, 11:00 PM
John'sBaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscecilia View Post
I voted no. Only the dealers should be in prison, in my opinion. Addiction is a sickness, not a crime.

I also think it's none of the government's business what a person chooses to do to their body. Smoke marijuana every day, shoot up heroin, smoke crack--how are any of those worse than smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol? It all screws up your body and mind.
what about the ones that sell them to support their habit? Should they go to prison too? You have to realize that you never know what you would be willing to do until you have been in that situation.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 PM

My husband was sentenced to mandatory 70-84 months on his first offense in NC. They treat pain pills the same as heroin here which is just flat out ridiculous considering they go by weight and most of a pain pill is Tylenol. He has absolutely no chance as it stands now of getting out any earlier than his minimum of 70 months. It is CRAZY!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:37 PM

Default Really?

Look, I have sympathy for people who have had "the book" thrown at them. But seriously, I don't care how trite or unfair the laws in your state are, those are the laws on the books and this ridiculous war on drugs have caused millions of people to suffer because they think it wont happen to them. If you are going to risk breaking the law you need to be aware of the possible repercussions, period. If your state has draconian drug laws, maybe you should consider either moving or here's a thought... don't break those laws. But you cannot in hindsight bitch and complain when you get caught, It makes you sound ignorant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Berae For This Useful Post:
eboogie2001 (10-02-2010)
Old 09-17-2010, 10:18 PM

YOU TAKE A THUG AND GIVE HIM A BADGE AND A GUN AND YOU HAVE YOUR AVERAGE COP

Look, this war on drugs is the full destruction of humanity. I will never slave down and lick their boot and adjust my life to these pricks. I am a nonviolent drug offender, one that never touched heroin or crack or meth, and feel I have gotten so much out of my use of psychedelics that it is just that important to me. I am a martyr for the cause. And I am being sent to a med/max federal on my first ever felony for to me was absolutely mostly personal use. Pretty much any drug can be used therapeutically, for the right purposes. Hell, there weren't even labeled drug addicts until the DEA came in and started labeling everybody as it. Now, the "drug addict" is the boogie monster. It is the law that is fucking everybody up. The law created the dodgy drug market, money laundering, racketeering, and death.

LOOK, YOU ALL NEED TO STOP BEING PUSSIES AND SPREAD THE WORD. I DO IT FAITHFULLY. I LIVE BY IT. Nothing is ever going to change if you allow the law to run your life, or run your human race to hell. We as humans should be free, free to choice, free to thought. The white man came in and ruined everything. I mean, this ties into everything. I hold things precious to me, and my experiences through life have done so much for me I would never take them back (experiences of psychedelics). My music is directly influenced, and so is my personality. I am here to tell you these people are all a fucking joke. If these people DID NOT like sentencing people to death, then they wouldn't do it. If they say otherwise, they are absolute fucking liars. I know it. Its a two sided thing. They as much despise the people coming to court, as much as I despise the people running the court. They say its their job, they say this and that, they are so full of fucking shit. I am not saying it on this ONE occasion, I am saying it through every occasion. Others too. And I do not mind sharing my experiences if you want to try and challenge me.

IT IS NOT JUST THE DRUG LAWS, WE ARE IN TOTAL ENSLAVEMENT. Until humans learn everybody is equal and everybody starts working together, we are all doomed to stay enslaved. We are all doomed to be judge or be judged. I do not need anybody in my life JUDGING me, I am absolutely happy with myself, everybody else is happy with me too EXCEPT the court. As long as all you people want to suck the laws dick, there will be people like me who were advanced in school, who are told they are the best guitarist theyve ever seen live, people like me will all DIE from the law. I DO NOT FEEL BAD ABOUT ANYTHING IVE DONE, I NEVER WILL. THE COURT IS THE ONE WHO SHOULD FEEL BAD ABOUT IT. ITS NO WONDER WHY PEOPLE FLIP AND GO OVERBOARD. THE LAW CREATED IT. THIS IS NOT MY OPINION, EVERYBODY I KNOW YOUNG OR OLD SEES THIS.

everybody needs to learn equality of human life, and how there is absolutely no such thing as a gateway drug. The courts and the law and the media have influenced you in ways that can be undone, but most likely nobody will look into it or have any feel or belief of anything because they are comfortable with themselves and are not the person in the situation. All they can say with their snobbie little smear is say "well then obey the law!". If the law is unjust, spreading that kind of word does nothing but help their situation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 288443 For This Useful Post:
Brenda Joyce (11-02-2011), moondoggie1 (10-31-2011)
Old 09-20-2010, 12:46 AM
gj07

I hope everyone that is unhappy about these drug laws will write or call their senators and ask that they be a co-sponsor on S714 that is in the Senate right now. This is a bill to review the complete justice system and decide what changes need to be made. National Call in day was last week, but still make the call if you haven't yet. Yes, some people are seeing that changes need to be made and this is a start in the right direction. There is more information about this under Legislation and Laws on this Prison Talk Online board. This has passed the House and only needs to pass the Senate, but need a few more senators to get on board. People don't let this bill die--let your senators know how you feel.
The Following User Says Thank You to gj07 For This Useful Post:
will_be_waiting (09-24-2011)
Old 09-29-2010, 09:05 AM

I think blind adherence to the laws is ignorant.
How many laws have been changed because people were brave enough to stand up and say enough? Cruel, unjust, and just plain silly laws that do more harm than good.
Drug laws as they stand now fall into that category.
I don't think most people are using/selling drugs because they 'think it (getting caught) won't happen to them'. Some people are selling because they don't have any other options, and some people are using because they can't stop. It's not all about trying to get one over on the police.
I think it's absolutely ridiculous that the government can dictate what chemicals I put in my body. It's no ones business. No one should be allowed to be punished for drug use. Not prison, not jail, and not even mandated rehabilitation, if there is no crime other than the drug use itself.
The war on drug creates more problems than it solves. Nothing is being solved by throwing these people in jail. Nothing. Right now it's a lucrative business the same way alcohol was during prohibition. You don't see people shooting each other over beer any more do they? Because it's not restricted and those that want to drink can go get it when they want to.
Drug's are a victimless crime until the justice system gets involved. I hate that whole stupid argument about how drug addicts ruin their families life, so they are the victims. So do adulterers, and liars, and people that are just assholes. My step mom has ruined our family but she didn't need a substance to do it. Should she be arrested for creating discord in the family? No! and neither should a drug addict. Help should offered by the family and the government should not be involved in that.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:35 AM
HiS*WiFeY*4eVa

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeFaithNLove View Post
I think the whole school zone thing is ridiculous anyway. If someone is soliciting drugs to children then yes, they should get a harsher punishment. And I am not saying that I believe in drugs in any way; however, the school zone thing is STUPID. Just because someone is in a school zone does not mean that they are dealing drugs to kids. The school zones are so large that in some counties pretty much the whole city is a school zone.

You also have people that get caught with drugs in THEIR OWN HOUSE that aren't even selling these drugs, be it marijuana or whatever that live across the street from a school or down the street from a school.

I don't think that first-time offenders should go to prison. Not at all. The government should be getting HELP for these people. Not locking them up in prison away from their families. The only people that actually are being punished by this is the offender's families. I think that if you commit a NONAGGRIVATED or VIOLENT crime, such as dealing drugs or doing drugs that instead of throwing you in prison for a HUGE amount of time that you should be given probation. Give the person a chance to realize on their own that what they have done is wrong. Give the person the chance to see how much trouble they could have actually gotten into. Tell them that this time you are given probation, next time you are given 10 years in prison, and I bet you 80% of the people do not get involved in this kind of trouble again. And that is 80% less space taken up in the prisons by drug offenders. And that is 80% more people that can support their families. That is 80% less families on welfare. The prisons are overcrowded as it is. The government is spending God knows how much money on feeding and housing these prisoners, when they could be given a chance to do right, but instead are being thrown in prison, taken away from their families, and leaving a HUGE mess of bills for women and children. It's just not right.

That's my opinion on it. But of course, the beauty of America is that we have freedom of speech.

If you don't like it, I'm sorry! But that's how I feel.
That is so true, they should be helping the first time offenders! Help them rehabilitate with a real job so they dont do things they normally wouldnt do to get by! My man is a first time offender period.. no prior charges whatsoever, caught dealing crack/cocaine.... less than 8 grams ... He just got 16 years. Its so stupid... They take away the breadwinner and leaves his family to depend on the welfare system. They could just as easily have helped the man become more goal oriented....
moondoggie1 (10-31-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 01:50 PM

Default It's business to N.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worriednnc View Post
My husband was sentenced to mandatory 70-84 months on his first offense in NC. They treat pain pills the same as heroin here which is just flat out ridiculous considering they go by weight and most of a pain pill is Tylenol. He has absolutely no chance as it stands now of getting out any earlier than his minimum of 70 months. It is CRAZY!
My son was set up for similar offense.The prosecutor said she didn't care how well he was doing in treatment, its time for punishment. We now have a justice industry, this is how they make money. I'm willing to bet he will have a fine that will be impossible for a unemployable convicted felon to pay, so they will get to lock him back up every so often just to keep him in the system.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:30 PM
tired

Thanked 14,156 Times in 3,687 Posts

My son was sentenced to 15 years + so many months so many years ago that I hate counting anymore. He had been in trouble as a juvenile but nothing that other kids hadn't done. You know what got my son so many years for those drug charges? It was election year and he was made an example of to pump up the votes.
I would never compare someone else crime to him but do you know what people receive these days for what he did? At the most 5 years and parole- I even saw not long ago where someone got supervised probation.
Geez, my blood pressure is pumping and I set broke again from trying to fight the court systems.
bb
Old 02-07-2011, 03:00 PM

Man,I thought I was reading my story. The man that was sheriff here for 20yrs is a friend of mine. He was the first one I contacted when I found out what happened,his first words were"oh God, its an election year up there". My son said the news people jumped out when the police did. The funniest thing is that they really don't want to stop drugs, otherwise they wouldn't have left my son out selling drugs for 4 months while they " built a case". How many kids took their 1st pill and started down the same road he's on? Do they follow drunks around til they commit vehicular homicide? They were the only ones buying enough to put him in that category.
The Following User Says Thank You to sirhada For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (02-09-2011)
Old 02-10-2011, 12:38 AM
MIMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinmate View Post
I sold 2 oz of POT in pennsylvaina and was given 18-60 months in a max state prison.... 2 oz = $300 worth of pot ....1st offence ever in my life ...so do i thing there needs to be a change the answer is hells YES...
but where do we start ?????
Pot should be legal. That is stupid. I am sorry. The system likes to make money of off people and hurt families for stupid things like pot. MJ almost became legal in CA this year. We barely lost the vote. Oh and by the way, I have never even smoked a cigarette in my life. I just think that small violations that lead to state prison are stupid. If you were a movie star or celebrity, you wouldn't have gone to prison. You would have had millions of dollars of defense money to hire Cochran style attorneys.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:17 AM

i vote no i don't think they should b thrown to prison if is there first attempt i think they should just get probation..
every time i think about u want u need u hold u kiss u love u never replace a person on this earth above u i just wanna b the one that makes u feel amassing and cuz u keep it real ill never leave ur side....
Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsjamor View Post
I agree, my husband has a clean record, not even a traffic ticket. He was set up dropping off 2 oz of cocaine and was sentenced to 3 years mand. but luckly he only has to serve 85% of his time so he should be home in 2008. I think they should do probation or house arrest or maybe a few months in county jail and then probation but for first time offenders to send them off to state prison for 2 or more years is crazy. I looked all over the place to see if I could get it reduced but wasn't very successful. Florida prision sucks!
good god whats wrong with the system Cocaine ruins peoples lives in a bad way for some retarded reason the Gov sees Marijuana as the most dangerous drug, Hmmm food for thought the human body hangs on to THC for up to 30 days the Body gets rid of cocaine in 7 days at most so with that in mind which drug do you think is more toxic.there is enough documented research on POT to make it legal to prescribe in 14 states even our president of the USA knows that the federal laws on marijuana need to be revised its unfortunate that he was set up indeed never the less the is a serious in justice in the current system 2oz of coke 3years min 100 lbs of pot 5 years min 100lbs sounds like alot however it is a seed bearing plant with medicinal purposes. If you think I am wrong please research for your self

God help us all

Last edited by FLYBYNIGHT; 04-05-2011 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: miss spelled words
Old 04-24-2011, 04:46 PM
firsttimer2011

Well I'm a first time offender who was doing a friend a favor and got caught up in the middle of a drug bust my good friend turned me over because he was a four time looser, he got 12 months in the county and I got handed a sentence of 70 to 87 months in federal prison, what kind of justice is that? what makes him better than me? and I didn't mention the fact he was on parole for a drug charge at the time this happened. Wheres the justice? There is none its just us against them...
The Following User Says Thank You to firsttimer2011 For This Useful Post:
moondoggie1 (04-25-2011)
Old 09-24-2011, 12:04 AM

Thanked 1,425 Times in 886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack6t9
I would use caution with considering everyone who possesses drugs "addicts". First of all, as NA/AA proclaims, an addict "has found that their lives have become unmanageable", and those that this refers to have indeed lost control of themselves, and are more likely than not, the ones who are robbing, thieving and pilaging for their addictions---these people need rather firm assistance.

However, there is another class of "users". According to the Bureau of Justice statistics. 70%, that's seventy percent, of drug users were employed full time prior to their convictions for possession. That means to me, that 70% of drug those drug "possessers" were managing to pay taxes, support themselves and avoided stealing everything that wasn't nailed down to supply their drugs. Does that fit the idea of what "addiction" is? NO.

While I fully agree that anyone who can't control themselves and their "drug of choice" should stay away from all drugs, I feel there should be way more lieniency for working people, not engaged in criminal activities, who choose to include some drug in their private activities.

The law, however, does not differentiate between the two, but it could be imagined that the reason these people end up in court more often is simply that they have an ability to PAY fines, fees and other costs, and they are not hiding in the shadows looking for something to steal---they are at work, paying taxes, and adding to their 401K.

As long as we allow our government to lump people together based on their illegal actions, rather than their character and contributions to society or whether or not they adversely affected anyone else, we will see harmless people persecuted right along with the rest...but AA/NA considers these folks "functioning addicts", which defies their own definition of "addict". Think about that. They had to come up with a new terminology to justify including these people in their program.

and yes, there are some people (functioning addicts?) who have not abandoned common sense and self-control, despite what the spin-junkies claim.

I've always believed that people are responsible for their own actions, and that by blaming drugs for our choices rather than owning our mistakes, we are placing blame where it doesn't belong and creating a "teflon society" where accountability never sticks (at least in our own minds)...and then allowing the courts to decide everyone's fate.

We need to take back and maintain control over our own lives. Then there would be no such thing as "addiction" as commonly defined.
I agree with you

hes been home since 12/29/09
&
off probation since 5/28/13
Old 09-24-2011, 12:08 AM

Thanked 1,425 Times in 886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpack6t9
Whether it's the commies, gays, felons, republicans, homeless people or the tweaks, society must have a demon to take their anger out on.

Every page in the history book of society has a "bad guy" and his victims on it. Our villain makes us feel better about ourselves, because we see ourselves a "better than" somebody, at least. The misadventures that make up the lives of our demons shed some sunshine on our own, uneventful existences, and satisfies our need to hate something or somebody.

A lot of folks will argue with this idea, and it may very well be true that some people do not need to look down on others to feel important themselves. These people are the saints among us, and they are few and far between. But on some level, everyone sets themselves apart from the current demon. This is called "morality". More simply put, the group who thinks that their way of thinking is proper, while those who tend to deviate from what the moral majority thinks is appropriate become the "anti-social" group.

(those who go against our societal correctness"

The masses of people who do need to hate, do so in sufficient quantities that the rest of us can focus our attentions elsewhere, perhaps on something important like freedom or justice.

Speaking of 'justice', we all know that felons, people who have been convicted of a felony offense, have forever been an easy target. They are the unwanted ones, the ones who have violated each and every one of us, even though our lives have never truly touched each other. So why must we do everything in out power to make their existence as miserable as possible? No. We are only protecting us from them, them who seek to disrupt our dreamy little vision of ourselves and our pro-social correctness.

Again, we need to look at ourselves. Our perceptions of ourselves, as the "pro-social" group, the proper, righteous group would be in serious conflict with reality if we had to admit that felons are people just like us---Just like US? we can't allow that, our fragile egos would be crushed....

If this all sounds quite ridiculous to you, then welcome to reality! Since I believe that diversity is not a crime, I'll concede that this can be either my reality, or yours---whichever you prefer.

At any rate, the point I make here is that hate takes all forms, even those masked cloaked in saint-hood and positive thinking patterns. Hate breeds within the idea of one who thinks they are 'right', at the expense of any other point of view.

There can be no equality in elitism, no compassion in selfishness, and no forgiveness in hatred.

To cast out our demons, we must cast out our perceptions of who we think we are, and replace them with who we want to be.
Great post.thank you

hes been home since 12/29/09
&
off probation since 5/28/13
Old 09-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Til' Death...

My husband is currently in jail awaiting trial for his first time drug charges. He has a lonng criminal history, but almost all got dismissed or dropped. Has only one felony b/e charge and some worthless checks charges convictions. Hoping the judge takes it easy on him...but i heard he was REALLY strict
Old 09-28-2011, 05:25 PM

Sorry to hear that but my baby was just sentenced the other day same thing it all depends on the drug and the weight.... And if he had any priors they look at those to as you not learning his lesson...
Old 10-01-2011, 04:17 AM

my husband just got charged with class x over 5000 grams of marijuana. I did hire a lawyer. I am hoping for the best am not sure what the police report says yet but what is the usual sentence if convicted. am not talking about the 6-30 am saying what they actually offer you. he only has one other felony in his record one gram of cocaine.... am scared that they will give him a long time. we have only been married 2 years. any information will help.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:06 PM
♪ ♥ ♪ ♥
Donation Award 

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUTR15T35A View Post
my husband just got charged with class x over 5000 grams of marijuana. I did hire a lawyer. I am hoping for the best am not sure what the police report says yet but what is the usual sentence if convicted. am not talking about the 6-30 am saying what they actually offer you. he only has one other felony in his record one gram of cocaine.... am scared that they will give him a long time. we have only been married 2 years. any information will help.
Welcome to PTO TUTR15T35A . Sorry to hear that you are having to go thru this but you have found the right place for help and support . Im not an attorney and I wont sugar coat anything for ya but a class x offense in IL well, falls pretty short of first degree murder and yes, does carry the mandatory of 6-30. Its good that you have hired an attorney as that is the best source of help/advice at this time.

I do know that if he goes to trial and loses, its hands down 6-30. Its hard to negotiate any sentence reductions with prosecutors on a class x and if they do offer a sentence reduction to say a class 1 felony then he could look at 4-15 oppose to the 6-30.
You mentioned he has a prev charge so that may hurt his chances. Again, im not an attorney and this is not any legal advice, its just what i am familiar with. Def talk with your attorney as he will be the only one to tell you how many years of the 6-30 your husband would be facing since an attorney would know all facts of the case.

I wish you the best of luck and your husband the least of sentecing! Stay strong
Old 12-06-2011, 02:02 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeFaithNLove View Post
I think someone should start a petition on first-time drug charges going to prison. I think that some people get into more trouble than they could have expected.

They should be given an automatic chance on probation with some type of class that has to be taken as well, instead of being thrown in prison for 2-10 years or more!

If you agree please post here. If you know anything about trying to change the law in US please let me know!

I am in Texas!
I am in North Carolina and my husband is locked up in Georgia for a non-violent Drug crime, He is a first time offender but they gave him four years. I agree with this petition. Your better of murdering someone and getting a lesser sentence. What is goin on with todays justice system .