Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The War on Drugs - and the results of it
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The War on Drugs - and the results of it A war against drugs, or against families?

View Poll Results: Do you think the that first-time felon drug charges should be thrown in prison?
Yes 54 6.91%
No 727 93.09%
Voters: 781. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeFaithNLove View Post
I think someone should start a petition on first-time drug charges going to prison. I think that some people get into more trouble than they could have expected.

They should be given an automatic chance on probation with some type of class that has to be taken as well, instead of being thrown in prison for 2-10 years or more!

If you agree please post here. If you know anything about trying to change the law in US please let me know!

I am in Texas!
I AGREE!!! My dad is serving a 6.6 year sentence in Arizona for a first time drug offense having totaled 1.8grams of Methamphetamine...yep about $180.00 street value! WTF??? Drug Courts?? Why does Arizona even have them? It's funny he has been there for a bit over 4 years and he has received a GED even though he graduated High School and college, but has yet to see a drug class during is time spent at ADC?? Is it just me or is something wrong here? I just can't wait until this is all over
The Following User Says Thank You to BiteMeArizona For This Useful Post:
BreezyLuvzTrip (07-03-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2012, 11:43 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiteMeArizona View Post
I AGREE!!! My dad is serving a 6.6 year sentence in Arizona for a first time drug offense having totaled 1.8grams of Methamphetamine...yep about $180.00 street value! WTF??? Drug Courts?? Why does Arizona even have them? It's funny he has been there for a bit over 4 years and he has received a GED even though he graduated High School and college, but has yet to see a drug class during is time spent at ADC?? Is it just me or is something wrong here? I just can't wait until this is all over
Change.org we should start a petition!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcru View Post
Do you think a first time offender that gets caught with crack in a school zone should be given probation?
Dangerous Drugs in a school zone is a different topic. I don't think any of us agree with that. I myself am thinking of drug users that get caught for the first time with a sizable amount to be considered "personal use".( And if they get accused of selling there also needs to be evidence..not just the word of a 2X convicted criminal or word form a COP without proof...just saying!) Forgive me this is just a touchy subject for me. Truth is anybody, from any lifestyle at anytime can become addicted to a drug. And I feel drug laws need to protect everyone!y
Old 10-28-2012, 12:38 PM
I miss my son!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeFaithNLove
I think someone should start a petition on first-time drug charges going to prison. I think that some people get into more trouble than they could have expected.

They should be given an automatic chance on probation with some type of class that has to be taken as well, instead of being thrown in prison for 2-10 years or more!

If you agree please post here. If you know anything about trying to change the law in US please let me know!

I am in Texas!
So, has a petition been started?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using PrisonTalk

Old 10-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Mrs. Hall

My hubby was sentenced to 10 years in 2005 for drugs and it is federal time the fed guidelines suck!!! Not fair at all to 1st time offenders

Old 10-30-2012, 11:30 AM

Default Its my first ofence

What is 85% of 46 months can someeone help me and i agree that first time offence for drug charges should b given a second chance on probation but i guess the goverment dont care they see us as criminals and treat us like murderers when i have been the nicest guy u canmeet and prison wont help no one in any way if any thing it imakes people worse i think
Old 11-04-2012, 04:31 PM

My boyfriends in jail for dealing, he was on bail the first time but because he got caught a second time the judge wouldnt re-bail.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:59 PM

Does anyone know if there has been a petition started yet on this subject please.. if so Please snd me the link Thanks !!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Forever, and a day<3
Donation Award 

my boyfriend was sentenced to 5 years for aiding and abetting heroin distribution, 1000 ft from a university. it was his first time getting caught. luckily, he will only do a little under 3 years, and will be out this may. he told me about a kid (19 years old) doing a 25 year sentence for dealing, first time offense. i understand that it's completely wrong to deal drugs, but that's a life sentence pretty much for a 19 year old kid. He'll be 44 when he gets out. i thank god that my boyfriend wasn't 'on top of the game' at the time he was caught, and that he won't do as harsh a sentense, i just can't see taking that much of someone's life for a first timer. it's just sad, and 5 years (with 6 years probation, which is federal, he has state probation too, which god knows how long that will be) for AIDING AND ABETTING, i just don't understand. i'm thankful everyday that he got the time he did, and that he will be able to go back to a normal life once out, it just makes me angry...
and bars will eventually open,
But love and life will last

Old 01-02-2013, 10:02 AM

My Boyfriend got 30 Years for 1st time offense, Wasn't even caught with anything on himself or his property, He was sentenced on hear say of Co-Defendants.. He was accused of havin a Meth lab and sellin it .. He'll be bout 75 years old when he is released if his 2nd appeal don't do anything for him..
Old 01-02-2013, 03:37 PM

Question what would be the charges, 30 grams of ecstasy?

If one was a first time offender, what would be the charges for getting caught with 30 grams of ecstasy? with like 5 bags
Old 02-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Job/Resources Coach

Default Imho

First time offenders are tossed into prison for several reasons, but the main one is...MONEY.

Yes, money. It greases the wheels. Think about it---inmates, parolees, probationers, case workers, social workers, CO's, cops, judges, public pretenders, psychologists, "drug rehabilitation counselors" (separate issue entirely)....all these people involved directly with the system want to keep their employment.

Let's face it--crime is BIG business. And to keep that business big...you need MONEY.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 72684 For This Useful Post:
KC63 (02-18-2013), KDMSmom (04-27-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

I quite agree. Think about how many people get their job security from a steady supply of "drug offenders"?

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveMoff For This Useful Post:
KDMSmom (04-27-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 11:41 PM

I have a friend who was caught with about an ounce of pot at age 17 and was given a 90 day sentence. 17! For pot! I've tried it and have done it less than 5 times in my life. Most kids I knew in school at least tried it and obviously every highschool and college has it's pothead clique. Many of them still go on to lead productive lives. My ex smoked up until age 33 and only quit because his dealer got busted and I think he only got 2 years and it wasn't just pot he was dealing. He gave someone else up to save his own ass. But this guy gets jail at 17 only because he was unlucky enough to get caught buying it..really?

Now, more than a decade later, he's been in and out of jail but never another drug charge because he got smarter about it. I kinda wonder if he wasn't treated like a scumbag or a hardened criminal for doing what most kids/adults have done, would his life had even been different?

Last edited by JustYeah; 02-17-2013 at 11:44 PM..
Old 04-07-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman080808
If one was a first time offender, what would be the charges for getting caught with 30 grams of ecstasy? with like 5 bags
Possession w/int
Old 04-07-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72684
First time offenders are tossed into prison for several reasons, but the main one is...MONEY.

Yes, money. It greases the wheels. Think about it---inmates, parolees, probationers, case workers, social workers, CO's, cops, judges, public pretenders, psychologists, "drug rehabilitation counselors" (separate issue entirely)....all these people involved directly with the system want to keep their employment.

Let's face it--crime is BIG business. And to keep that business big...you need MONEY.
ABSOLUTELY!!!! The privatizing of prisons! A lot governors are sellibg the states prison to private companies under a twenty year contract to keep the prisons 90% full! And since the state is still housing the violent offenders....the private owned prisons get the non violent offenders(drug offenders)! And to meet the quota of the contract,,, first offenders receive prison time and every body else gets the bill!!!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guero View Post
What is 85% of 46 months can someeone help me and i agree that first time offence for drug charges should b given a second chance on probation but i guess the goverment dont care they see us as criminals and treat us like murderers when i have been the nicest guy u canmeet and prison wont help no one in any way if any thing it imakes people worse i think
85percent of 46 months is 39 months
Old 04-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Donation Award 

Default Surreal Nightmare.

Hello,

On Friday, April 12th, 2013 my son, Lance Forsberg (33) was sentenced to three years in Morgantown Federal Prison. On Monday, April 22nd, 2013 my husband, Dennis Forsberg (59) was sentenced to three years in prison (most likely Michigan). I am in a state of complete shock, disappoint, sadness at our Federal Court system regarding Medical Marijuana.

Michigan citizens passed the law in 2010. By 2012 Michigan had dispensaries with many care givers desiring to grow outside of their own home. Thus, my husband as a business man had a old empty warehouse. So, he talked to local police, local officials, local schools officials, three lawyers. They all assured him it was ok to rent, so he drafted legal papers and got a tax ID. Because of our transparency the Federal DEA raided this warehouse with six growers and only a few hundred plants divided among them all. As my husband had a lawyer draft legal papers, it is those legal papers the Federal DEA have used to call him a "Drug Leader" and what the Prosecutor used to have him sentenced. She was after ten plus years, but the Judge gave three after many months of fear.

It is still surreal to us, my son was arrested with his father due to the fact he is a certified plant expert and the growers were having issues with bugs, growth, etc so the DEA Agents had him in pictures coming and going with plants from the building.

We have never been in trouble with the law before. Hard working, large family, my husband and I married 37 years, grandchildren, daily worship of Christ and he is ill with blood clot issues. Yet, he is going to prison for three years.

Truly, as of now suicide seems a better option for my husband and me at his side rather than him going to prison. We just can not wrap our minds around the fact we attempted and searched to be legal state wise and then were arrested federal wise.

Three years for lack of knowledge about Federal Law and trusting State Law seems very steep to us. Truly, panic attacks are what we live in daily.

Not sure I can do this, face the next three years with my husband and a son in separate prison, when truly we have always attempted to follow all the laws of the land. My son also has a three year old daughter who will not understand why her daddy is gone.

How, why, what purpose does it serve the Federal Agency to place them in prison? I am frightened.

WHAT TRULY MAKES IT COMPLETELY HARD TO ACCEPT IS IN THE FORTY YEARS MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BEEN TOGETHER WE HAVE NEVER ONCE SMOKED OR USED MARIJUANA, MEDICAL OR NOT. HE IS GOING TO PRISON FOR MEDICAL MARIJUANA AND WE HAVE NEVER USED, SMOKED OR GROWN IT.
The Following User Says Thank You to tunnel light For This Useful Post:
SusanWayward (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Unrepentant Mule-Wearer
Donation Award 

My heart goes out to you, please stay strong for yourself and for your family.

As terrible as it is, you can get through this. Now is the time for you to lean on God and let His Spirit guide you.

And just know, if it helps any, there are many others who realize the injustice and more who are working to try to change things.

Peace, love and light.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:13 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,554 Times in 13,146 Posts

tunnel light
I too am very very sorry.It seems so so wrong that he was permitted by the city, etc and then the feds step in. Im in CA and they do this here as well. It was my understanding that medical marijuana was not supposed to be a priority for feds. Guess its too easy to go after them.

Suicide is a permanent fix for a temporary situation.

Please consider calling this hotline
SUICIDE UNITED STATES
National Suicide & Crisis Hotlines
1-800-SUICIDE
784-2433

That's my dog's nose art

Old 05-11-2013, 08:36 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel light View Post
Hello,

On Friday, April 12th, 2013 my son, Lance Forsberg (33) was sentenced to three years in Morgantown Federal Prison. On Monday, April 22nd, 2013 my husband, Dennis Forsberg (59) was sentenced to three years in prison (most likely Michigan). I am in a state of complete shock, disappoint, sadness at our Federal Court system regarding Medical Marijuana.

Michigan citizens passed the law in 2010. By 2012 Michigan had dispensaries with many care givers desiring to grow outside of their own home. Thus, my husband as a business man had a old empty warehouse. So, he talked to local police, local officials, local schools officials, three lawyers. They all assured him it was ok to rent, so he drafted legal papers and got a tax ID. Because of our transparency the Federal DEA raided this warehouse with six growers and only a few hundred plants divided among them all. As my husband had a lawyer draft legal papers, it is those legal papers the Federal DEA have used to call him a "Drug Leader" and what the Prosecutor used to have him sentenced. She was after ten plus years, but the Judge gave three after many months of fear.

It is still surreal to us, my son was arrested with his father due to the fact he is a certified plant expert and the growers were having issues with bugs, growth, etc so the DEA Agents had him in pictures coming and going with plants from the building.

We have never been in trouble with the law before. Hard working, large family, my husband and I married 37 years, grandchildren, daily worship of Christ and he is ill with blood clot issues. Yet, he is going to prison for three years.

Truly, as of now suicide seems a better option for my husband and me at his side rather than him going to prison. We just can not wrap our minds around the fact we attempted and searched to be legal state wise and then were arrested federal wise.

Three years for lack of knowledge about Federal Law and trusting State Law seems very steep to us. Truly, panic attacks are what we live in daily.

Not sure I can do this, face the next three years with my husband and a son in separate prison, when truly we have always attempted to follow all the laws of the land. My son also has a three year old daughter who will not understand why her daddy is gone.

How, why, what purpose does it serve the Federal Agency to place them in prison? I am frightened.

WHAT TRULY MAKES IT COMPLETELY HARD TO ACCEPT IS IN THE FORTY YEARS MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BEEN TOGETHER WE HAVE NEVER ONCE SMOKED OR USED MARIJUANA, MEDICAL OR NOT. HE IS GOING TO PRISON FOR MEDICAL MARIJUANA AND WE HAVE NEVER USED, SMOKED OR GROWN IT.
my heart goes out to you dearly please spend this time to get things in order so that you won,t feel super stressd when they are not home. Who will cut your grass, fix or repair things for you , get towing service for your vehicle , talk about everything make sure you get power of attorney papers, talk about financial subjects, I am talking from experience just try to stay strong
Old 05-19-2013, 03:38 PM

Default first offense

I am facing 10 years i n prison on a first offense. I have never even been arrested I have a six and four year old and work as a nursing assistant and they basically offered be a 78month plea I don't think this :s right and even my lawyer tells me take plea my children will be 14 and 12 when I get out hows that fair to anyone I never hurt anyone and I was caught with drugs in my car that didn't belong to me
Old 06-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Unrepentant Mule-Wearer
Donation Award 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by stlcru
Do you think a first time offender that gets caught with crack in a school zone should be given probation?
Dangerous Drugs in a school zone is a different topic. I don't think any of us agree with that.

School zone charges are bullshit in most cases. If you live in an urban area, almost anywhere you go is a "school zone". An arrestee will be charged with possessing or distributing in a school zone whether or not he INTENDED to be anywhere near a school.

It is mostly a means for the prosecutor to be able to stack charges that carry mandatory minimums so that they can carry a "big stick" in plea negotiations.

It borders on slander in my opinion - make every defendant sound like some perverted candy-man who wants to corrupt little children.

I know a person who got hit with a school zone charge after being set up by an undercover officer who purchased from him inside the place where he worked NOTHING to do with being on school property but there was a school a block away, sooooo....

Another person who was in the parking lot of his apartment complex, searched by a cop who was patrolling the area (actually this person should have refused the search, but) - there was a day care a block and a half away and even though the arrest took place at night when the day care was closed and no children about....school zone charge.

Don't buy into the BS, those laws are not about protecting children, they are about maintaining the 98% guilty plea rate for prosecutors.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:39 AM
Wifey 4eva holdin him dwn

I think if this is your 1st offense you should at least be given a 2nd chance , my boyfriend got sentenced a 5-10 years for a drug case that was less then 5oz on top the philadelphia police put a gun on him that they found down the street after doing a random search on the block an now he have to complete the whole 5yrs because they took away pre release!!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:24 AM

Default I'm right there with you!!!

Quote:
Change.org we should start a petition!!!
I Hate AZ they have classified ONLY methamphetamines a dangerous drug, so my husband for selling less than a ball is looking at 6.5 years! I'm pregnant with our first son and he won't even be here... Six fucking years for a drug less dangerous then heroin! Child molesters get less time than that!!!!! F this state!!!!!!!!