Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Coming Home
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Coming Home Dedicated to discussions about our loved ones that are coming home soon. Discussions here should not fit any other category.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:20 AM

Default Discouraging housing information

I've started to look into housing for when he is released. I contacted a group that helps prisoners that are still locked up or released.

They got back to me today and I am so frustrated.

This is part of the email:

Unless you know the landlord or he knows a landlord, probably not going to happen without a cosigner.* Also, most landlords will not rent to someone coming directly out of prison.* Unless your friend is maxing out his sentence, he will probably be placed in a TLP paid for by the DOC.* They usually give them 30-60 days to find a place to stay and find employment.* The Republicans passed that bill that said landlords don't have to rent to people with a record, and many here won't.* Many people do a lot of apartment searching for something that is not likely going to happen.

I'm so sad and frustrated right now.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2019, 01:13 PM
His Girl ❤️

I looked up apartments that rent to felons and found a list for my area. Each apartment complex stated what crimes they will accept and which ones they don't. And since T's crime is a violent felony, it's harder cuz if the crime itself

I would try looking that up for your area.

The Following User Says Thank You to AnieLove56 For This Useful Post:
Peacefinder (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 01:35 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 5,866 Times in 1,552 Posts

The fastest way....the easiest way.....google sex offender registry with the zip code you want to go to. It'll pull up every one with the address where they live. Google the address and find out which ones are apartments. I'm not an S.O., but I know if they can go there then, I can go there. That's the easiest way for one of us with a felony record to find a place to live. Sex Offender registry+ Zip code. Try it.
fbopnomore (11-11-2019), patchouli (11-11-2019), sidewalker (11-22-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacefinder View Post
I've started to look into housing for when he is released. I contacted a group that helps prisoners that are still locked up or released.

They got back to me today and I am so frustrated.

This is part of the email:

Unless you know the landlord or he knows a landlord, probably not going to happen without a cosigner.* Also, most landlords will not rent to someone coming directly out of prison.* Unless your friend is maxing out his sentence, he will probably be placed in a TLP paid for by the DOC.* They usually give them 30-60 days to find a place to stay and find employment.* The Republicans passed that bill that said landlords don't have to rent to people with a record, and many here won't.* Many people do a lot of apartment searching for something that is not likely going to happen.

I'm so sad and frustrated right now.
That is not an accurate statement about the “republicans passing a bill”. I’m gonna find the factual info on that and will post shortly. There is actually a proposed bill still pending to give landlords a tax credit for renting to felons. I would look at smaller apartments, no big mgmt companies really. However! My husband was released to an apartment we set up for him he was on the lease, they ran background and accepted him becuz he was non violent. I was up front with them and they were fine with it....

“I’d like to think that women are Gods, because we resurrect men. We lift them up so high they almost start to believe they can live without us.”

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jessesgirl1111 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (11-11-2019), Peacefinder (11-11-2019), sidewalker (11-22-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 05:36 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,951 Times in 13,197 Posts

Were he web pages you visited commercial/real estate companies? If so, there are probably more landlords who will rent to felons than there are paying to be listed there. The SO registry has assisted lots of former prisoners in finding acceptable housing, so be sure to keep trying.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessesgirl1111 View Post
That is not an accurate statement about the “republicans passing a bill”. I’m gonna find the factual info on that and will post shortly. There is actually a proposed bill still pending to give landlords a tax credit for renting to felons. I would look at smaller apartments, no big mgmt companies really. However! My husband was released to an apartment we set up for him he was on the lease, they ran background and accepted him becuz he was non violent. I was up front with them and they were fine with it....
It was a bill in our state specifically.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:53 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 36,126 Times in 16,647 Posts

We found our apartment by driving around the area. Its a small town / rural area and many individual landlords just put a For Rent sign with a phone number to call in the yard. In filling out the application, when we got to the Criminal History part he said, "no need to fill all that out, I've got enough." Individual owners are much more likely to rent to felons than large complexes, though I'm sure there are exceptions.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
choclgs (11-17-2019), Peacefinder (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
We found our apartment by driving around the area. Its a small town / rural area and many individual landlords just put a For Rent sign with a phone number to call in the yard. In filling out the application, when we got to the Criminal History part he said, "no need to fill all that out, I've got enough." Individual owners are much more likely to rent to felons than large complexes, though I'm sure there are exceptions.

That's probably what we will end up doing. I live in a small town, he wants to live in the big city. It is like night and day difference between the two.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefinder For This Useful Post:
patchouli (11-11-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 02:51 PM
Lifer Found Suitable

I was 22 when I learned the hard and shocking way that felons are not welcomed in every community. I'm tearing up typing this, it was so painful to my tender young heart when I was turned away from all the nice places I had applied to. I was NOT going to live in the ghetto again, I got a co-signer and stayed in my adorable apartment for 7 years. If those who create the system with loop wholes use them, bet their asses I'm going to use them too!!

Hopefully your loved one can find a nice place in a good area with a co-signer.