Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California: County & City Jail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California: County & City Jail Discussions Topics & Discussions relating to County & City Jails in California.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:29 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,336 Times in 2,360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellychelly View Post
Hello! I’m new here...my friend surrendered yesterday for a probation violation for misdemeanor DV. They gave him 9 months but his lawyer said he should only serve a week - one month. Is this true?? He was transferred to Wayside from MCJ today. Thank you so much for any info!!!

Overcrowding often knocks sentences way down. However, he's serving a longer term (approx. 270 days, probably listed in the system as such.) If he is going to get the extremely shortened sentence, a month would seem more likely than a week. Of course, the best I can do is say that he should expect to serve about 135 days out of 270 (135 actual plus 135 behavior) and anything less than that is a very generous gift on the part of the County.

Here's my advice.

1.) Check the LASD Inmate Locator to see what his scheduled release is. You can find that locator by clicking through this advisement here: http://lasd.org/ivvs_advisement2.html

2.) Don't anticipate that a release will happen before the date listed on there.

3.) If it's a ways off, check back periodically to see if it has moved up (this does happen either because of crowding or because of additional credits earned by the inmate.)

Good luck to your friend. I am not one to judge, but if he is in fact guilty of the crime, I hope he will use part of his sentence to take classes related to domestic violence and anger management.

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2019, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
Overcrowding often knocks sentences way down. However, he's serving a longer term (approx. 270 days, probably listed in the system as such.) If he is going to get the extremely shortened sentence, a month would seem more likely than a week. Of course, the best I can do is say that he should expect to serve about 135 days out of 270 (135 actual plus 135 behavior) and anything less than that is a very generous gift on the part of the County.

Here's my advice.

1.) Check the LASD Inmate Locator to see what his scheduled release is. You can find that locator by clicking through this advisement here:

2.) Don't anticipate that a release will happen before the date listed on there.

3.) If it's a ways off, check back periodically to see if it has moved up (this does happen either because of crowding or because of additional credits earned by the inmate.)

Good luck to your friend. I am not one to judge, but if he is in fact guilty of the crime, I hope he will use part of his sentence to take classes related to domestic violence and anger management.
Thank you. If the judge gave him 25 days time served does that get applied to his original sentence or PRD? His PRD is Sept 17.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:15 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellychelly View Post
Thank you. If the judge gave him 25 days time served does that get applied to his original sentence or PRD? His PRD is Sept 17.

I'm assuming they calculate 9 months as 270 days. So credit for 25 days served......means that he's got 270-25=245 days left to serve on the sentence (again, he may get an earlier kick.) 245 days, if he actually did serve the entire time, would be 245/2 (because you get one day of good behavior credit for every day of time served) so figure 122 1/2 days (122? 123? Obviously they deal in full days, not halves) or about 4 months is the amount of time he would actually do in if he reaches his actual PRD.

Sounds like he's currently expected to serve to that PRD. But again. It might change. I just don't know how much they do early kicks and where overcrowding kicks in as a factor.

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-12-2019, 09:44 AM

I got sentenced 180 days felony for a non violent crime. I understand that many get released in a few days when sentenced 180 day due to overcrowding. But because it is a felony, does that change things?
Old 06-12-2019, 11:41 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagegarage View Post
I got sentenced 180 days felony for a non violent crime. I understand that many get released in a few days when sentenced 180 day due to overcrowding. But because it is a felony, does that change things?

Yes, the key being that it's a felony. Most likely you will do 90 days total in-jail time. Not sure what credits you might be entitled to beyond that. I do know of a recent situation in L.A. County where someone with a 90 day sentence did 30 days before being discharged, but that was on a misdemeanor case. Based on that percentage, my guess would be your best-case scenario is 60 days, but again, given it's a felony and not a misdemeanor, you're likely looking at 90 on a 180 day sentence. And of course, a max-out of 180 (hate to sound like Santa Claus here, but be good for goodness sakes!)

Since felonies are generally "a year and a day," minimum, and felony sentences less than that require some sort of exceptional action, I assume some form of probation is involved resulting in the 180 day sentence?

Good luck to you.

-Eric

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-16-2019, 07:39 AM

Default Every situation’s different

Here’s an update regarding my husband’s situation. Like I previously mentioned, he was sentenced to 364 days on a FELONY charge. 0 priors/ clean record. He went in early January and PRD was mid July. He wasn’t a trustee, and he didn’t have any discipline issues either. I was sure he’d be out in 2 months per previous posts, however, that didn’t pan out. It began with a notification from VINElink, a couple days ago. Yesterday, I received another notification stating his PRD had changed to 06/17. He’s been incarcerated roughly 5 months and will be “rolled up” today and released tomorrow AM. He completed 41.4% of his time, and 85% of his previous PRD. The days get seemingly harder, but I know you can do it. Don’t ever forget to the remind them how much they mean to you, visiting them, and answering their calls— all of that will make their stay bearable. Thank you all for your posts! You truly kept me sane throughout this ordeal.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firsttimerLA For This Useful Post:
Bellychelly (06-16-2019), missingdee (06-20-2019), sidewalker (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 08:45 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,568 Times in 15,755 Posts

congrats!!

That's my dog's nose art

Old 06-20-2019, 11:25 AM

Hello, my fiancee was sentenced to 180 days in county at TTCF.
He was booked on May 7, 2019 with a PRD of July 30, 2019. This is just 84 total days instead of the usual 90 on a 180 day sentence.
He's working in the kitchen and is a Trustee.
Misdemeanor charge, battery but from 2011. He didnt finish taking care of it at the time, so he went to the court last May to take care of his warrant before we got married. He expected to just pay a fine, but they arrested and sentenced him instead.
(For the same charge, he served 10 days out of 30 in 2015.)

Anyway, so when can I expect him to be released based on Early Release percentages?

Will he serve the 84 days? Can he still earn work time if his sentence isnt 90 days??
Old 06-20-2019, 11:29 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durank View Post
He was booked on May 7, 2019 with a PRD of July 30, 2019. This is just 84 total days instead of the usual 90 on a 180 day sentence.
Misdemeanor charge, battery but from 2011. He didnt finish taking care of it at the time, so he went to the court last May to take care of his warrant before we got married. He expected to just pay a fine, but they arrested and sentenced him instead.

Anyway, so when can I expect him to be released based on Early Release percentages?

Will he serve the 84 days? Can he still earn work time if his sentence isnt 90 days??

Always assume the PRD on a longer sentence. This is about consistent with what one member just posted. It seems like lately the deep discounts on sentencing stop at about 90 days.

However, since he has Trustee status there may be more credits coming. You guys won't know until he actually gets them.

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-20-2019, 11:58 AM

Thank you! When would we find out if he got any Truster credits?
Old 06-21-2019, 03:30 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Quote:
Thank you! When would we find out if he got any Truster credits?

My understanding is that he earns it as he goes along. The inmate locator will update the date periodically. Again, though, the best mental philosophy is to assume the date on the website is the date it will be unless and until it changes.

-Eric

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-25-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostsofourpast View Post
Well, my husband is turning himself in today, 1/4/18 at IRC for a non violent misdemeanor. 120 day sentence. I’m hoping he is out by morning...fingers crossed!
How much time did he end up doing total?
Old 06-25-2019, 03:41 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc3000 View Post
How much time did he end up doing total?

Odds are good this isn't going to apply since
1.) OP is talking about a sentence served 18 months ago
2.) That sentence is a misdemeanor and yours is a felony, which creates a different set of criteria.

If you're doing time in the L.A. County Jail on an offense that counts as a violent strike, anticipate 80%. If it's a non-violent strike and you have no priors, anticipate 50%. Non-violent with priors, anticipate 67%.

-Eric

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-03-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:

Is he in for a violent crime?
Old 07-03-2019, 08:52 AM

Yes, for battery in 2011.

He did part of his time, was released to do classes. Didnt do them. Turned himself in May 2019 to pay a fine, was arrested instead.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
Yes, the key being that it's a felony. Most likely you will do 90 days total in-jail time. Not sure what credits you might be entitled to beyond that. I do know of a recent situation in L.A. County where someone with a 90 day sentence did 30 days before being discharged, but that was on a misdemeanor case. Based on that percentage, my guess would be your best-case scenario is 60 days, but again, given it's a felony and not a misdemeanor, you're likely looking at 90 on a 180 day sentence. And of course, a max-out of 180 (hate to sound like Santa Claus here, but be good for goodness sakes!)

Since felonies are generally "a year and a day," minimum, and felony sentences less than that require some sort of exceptional action, I assume some form of probation is involved resulting in the 180 day sentence?

Good luck to you.

-Eric
Hi, Eric and every one, i registered the account just to tell you that, before I turned my self in in lynwood for a 180 days non violent FELONY on July 1st, your comments scared the shit out of me. Yes, i was sentenced 180 days with 3 years of formal probation for a thief charge earlier this year, its my first time. and i was searching on the Internet hoping to get some idea of when can I get actually get release.

after I saw your comment. I felt hopeless since my charge is a felony. and i worried the entie time since then, but guess what? I was released 6pm on the July 2nd. 🙂🙂🙂 Yes, for non violent first time offender to lynwood, it is still possible for a book-release at least for sentences upon to 180 days, regardless is a felony or misderminer. however, I dont see there is a way you can get out the same day, unless you are directly release from the court, otherwise once you get in to lynwood, the booking process will take a full day. including medical check and all sorts of things.

additionally, other imates i talked to with reasons such as probation violation may also release the next day. however, there was one girl that i talked to, she said she did 7 days for her first offence on a 90 days non violent thief felony. so after all what i am trying to say is it is still possible for you to get book and release on 180 days , but its also possible for you to do 10-30percents of it. it all depends.
The Following User Says Thank You to cad7731749 For This Useful Post:
missingdee (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 10:53 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad7731749 View Post
Hi, Eric and every one, i registered the account just to tell you that, before I turned my self in in lynwood for a 180 days non violent FELONY on July 1st, your comments scared the shit out of me. Yes, i was sentenced 180 days with 3 years of formal probation for a thief charge earlier this year, its my first time. and i was searching on the Internet hoping to get some idea of when can I get actually get release.

after I saw your comment. I felt hopeless since my charge is a felony. and i worried the entie time since then, but guess what? I was released 6pm on the July 2nd. Yes, for non violent first time offender to lynwood, it is still possible for a book-release at least for sentences upon to 180 days, regardless is a felony or misderminer. however, I dont see there is a way you can get out the same day, unless you are directly release from the court, otherwise once you get in to lynwood, the booking process will take a full day. including medical check and all sorts of things.

additionally, other imates i talked to with reasons such as probation violation may also release the next day. however, there was one girl that i talked to, she said she did 7 days for her first offence on a 90 days non violent thief felony. so after all what i am trying to say is it is still possible for you to get book and release on 180 days , but its also possible for you to do 10-30percents of it. it all depends.

Good to know. Might be because of the class of felony. The information I had been getting recently indicated that what you experienced.....wasn’t happening. Even on misdemeanors.

I guess we’ll see if it continues to be catch-and-release. What you’re telling me is good news for short-timers but was not reflecting what I was seeing/hearing from others. So whether it will be true next week....who knows?

Best plan is to always prepare for 50% and hope for less.

Thank you for letting us know how it went. Always good to have some immediate sense of what’s going on in County.

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-04-2019, 01:55 PM

Default 180 days lynwood

Hi Everyone,

I'm going in tomorrow on a 180 day sentence for DUI Violation of probation (failed to complete classes) does anyone know what the current percentage of time is?
I have a 1 year old and I am truly freaking out.

I'm going to Van Nuys court then doing my time in Lynwood.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:53 PM

Damn, wish I wrote this post before the last persons post to help give them a bit of hope but for anyone still wondering...I was sentenced to 180 days for 4th DUI felony and only did 2 days. I surrendered to san fernando court at 8:30 am on Nov. 1 and was released at 8 am Nov 3 from twin towers. If you are sentenced to 180 days or less, you are labeled as a short and are released almost immediately. I know people that got the same amount as me and got out even faster than I did. Things are looking good if you are serving a short sentence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsilverwood For This Useful Post:
Csolis321 (11-11-2019), missingdee (11-05-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 02:28 PM

+++ UPDATE+++

I turned myself in on 11/5/2019 and was released on 11/6/2019.
For anyone reading this trying to get an idea this is what happened..

Went to court at 8:30am to surrender and was told by the Sherriff there that I would be in and out. He even gave me a pink wrist band that indicated an early release. I left Van Nuys court at 5pm and went to Downtown Twin Towers to switch buses. When I got to Lynwood it was roughly 8pm. They have an Xray machine now so no more squatting and coughing.

Once you're dressed they have you do a urine analysis, then chest xray and finally you get to talk to an RN to see if you need medical help. I got my bed around 3 am. The next day I asked the deputy when I would be going home and she told me 1/28/2020. I freaked out.. keep in mind the deputies only see the release dates in the system, that date is not final. At around 3pm they called me to "roll it up" I was going home.

I was out by 6pm.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:02 PM

Default What about?

For domestic violence battery, ex con with a gun & criminal threats? Non violent or violent and can het get out early? Only has 3 years had four but got a year served they consecutive charges of 8month 8months & 3years?