Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Australia / New Zealand Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Australia/ NZ General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Australia/ NZ General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat General Topics & Discussions dealing with Aus/NZ prisons, local laws & legal issues etc. If it doesn't fit into any other Aus/NZ forum post it here!

Old 02-29-2004, 08:11 AM
dear Hilde

Default Finding someone in an Australia prison

HI Kyla..I used to write to some one in Australia in Prison, but I kinda lost him...have you any idea how I can find him again? Don't know if he is still in this prison?
His name is Murray George Williams...He was in Rathdowney, Qeeunsland....last I heard of him was almost 2 years ago.....I tried to look for him, even called some people there, but I lost him.....

"...contrary to what the cynics say,distance is not for the fearfull, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love. It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."

Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,826 Times in 1,600 Posts

Hilde,
Hope you don't mind but I split this thread off and started a new one because I think it is info that many people will want to know in the future. I'd like to know if there are any Correction sites in Australia that offer inmate locators.

David
Old 02-29-2004, 03:41 PM
Registered

Australia actually respects inmates privacy and they dont put any site or names up on the web, so it is hard to find an australian inmate. They also move them around a fair bit, especially Queensland, they are bad at that.
Hilde, I will try and do some research here and see if I can find your friend. You can contact corrections here, and locate an inmate, so I will call Queensland corrections this morning, and see if your friend is still in. Do you know how long he was in for? What he did? This will help me locate him through Queensland Corrections. Unfortunetly here, you have to call up to locate a prisoner, and they check there databases. They actually "lost" my husband, (stupid) when he first went in. They failed to put him in a database, and they had a hysterical "me" ringing every prison in Queensland, that can also tell you on there database, as long as they are in the Corrections computer. Its good in a way, cause there privacy, even though an inmate, gets respected to some extent. I will get back to you later today.

"It takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them,
a day to love them and a lifetime to forget them."
Old 02-29-2004, 04:30 PM
dear Hilde

hey kyla, great!!! he was in for violence...some sort...anyway...I am glad you want to help!! he might be out, but then, even then I don't know where to look...but if it is meant to be,you will find him! I am sure
thanks!! from the other side of the world!

"...contrary to what the cynics say,distance is not for the fearfull, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love. It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."

Old 02-29-2004, 05:45 PM

Hilde, you mentioned Rathdowney? I think you will find that your friend was in a place called Palen Creek Correctional Centre, which is in the Rathdowney area. A very rural area. Palen Creek is more like a prison farm. Low security I think, not sure. Hope this helps. oh! and it's not far from where I live.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:43 PM
dear Hilde

well Ozibell, I think you are right....he was on a farm...he made things in wood like tables and cupboards and chairs there....if he is not there anymore, do you think they will have his address there? and how do i find out if he is still there?
hey thanks for your help!!

Old 02-29-2004, 07:14 PM

Hilde, good and bad news. I called Palen Creek, no problem, they were very helpful.
Murray is no longer there and they even looked up the database to see if he was in custody elsewhere. No! so apparently he is a free man. Couldn't tell me when he was released though. I you want to contact him, I could look further?
Old 02-29-2004, 08:26 PM
Registered

LoL Ozi
I just did the same thing, I called Queensland Corrections, and they couldnt find anyone by that name they told me. So he is out of prison.
Hilde, you can go to
www.whitepages.com.au
maybe you can see if you can locate him that way, if you can find a number or address there. Good luck, as you said, if you are meant to find each other, you will.

Old 02-29-2004, 09:00 PM
Fed-X is Back!

Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,826 Times in 1,600 Posts

So they don't make the info available online but you can call the prison (system) and they will let you know? That sounds positive if you are searching.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Registered

Yes David
You call up corrections and say Im trying to locate a friend, etc, and they tell you what prison they are in. They have like a hotline number, in your state, here its Queensland Corrections. They are normally quite helpful and understanding. They cant tell you anything about the prisoner though, all they can say is, yes, he is still here, or been moved there. Gives you an idea to write or visit.

Old 02-29-2004, 09:50 PM

Our minds think alike kyla, looked in the white pages, there are a few with that name and initials( and that was only in the Brisbane metropolitan area) I guess it's up to Hilde now.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:01 PM
dear Hilde

what if he does not have a phone. he won't be listed anywhere then will he...does he has to stay in the same region as the prison was for a while? or can he just live everywhere???

Old 02-29-2004, 10:37 PM

Hilde, when you were writing to each other? did he tell you where he lived previous to incarceration or where he grew up? as for him being able to just live anywhere, maybe Kyla can help you with that one. If you really want to find him, the only other way I can think of, is, you can look up the electoral rolls. In Australia it is compulsory to vote. So everyone over 18 has to be registered on an electoral roll for both state and federal elections. These are public documents and can be searched on microfiche. It only gives full name and address.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:13 AM
Registered

Hilde
I think just about everyone in Australia has a phone, the only way you wouldnt find him if it was unlisted, I have a unlisted number. I understand its difficult locating someone. If you can go through your mail, and give us a good location, and info, we may be able to search further, as Ozi said through the electoral rolls. Let us know if you want to further your search. Unfortunety corrections, by law, cannot tell us his location when he left, that is a privacy law thing, and they could get into trouble. I hope we can help you further in your search, I just dont know where to begin in the phone directory, as I could be calling a heap of people searching, without enough information.

Old 03-01-2004, 02:31 PM
dear Hilde

okay, I will look into this in the next days...right now I am still recovering from a very bad jetlag and I am so tired and need to go to sleep NOW....but, I will look for it and keep all of you informed! thanks so much!!!

Old 03-29-2006, 05:37 AM
ab

Hi all, I'm looking for Craig Monaghan(res Adelaide) last in remand at Yatala for burg/car with brother, Grant. Anyone who knows how to contact - please leave a message. Cheers, Ab.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:48 AM

Default how to kingsley arnold pickett in (westerm?) australia

hi
i was incarcerated in western australia 2002 to 2006 and am looking to get in touch with kingsley arnold pickett. he has been in since being a minor (now 35) and general internet details banned/difficult. have been in touch with correctional services and am going around in circles. they will not disclose because im not on his communications list and need to write to them with details i dont have (dob etc).

i have tried this before over the years and attempted twice to visit aus but visa refusal over and over.

i maybe on the wrong site wrong forum or thread but at nearly 60 computers are not my forte....

can anyone guide me?

mark harris
uk