Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:23 PM

What prison is ur husband at? My husband is a RJD, and they seem to be integrating yards there too. Apparently they are going to be on "lock down" this week while this is being done. There is also no visiting for the next couple of weeks, although no explanation as to why. My guess is possibly due to the integration happening? I don't know how this can legally happen, when there is a reason why there is a SNY yard to begin with. Who can we as loved ones contact regarding this? My husbands life could be in serious danger if his yard is integrated.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2018, 08:17 PM

Has anyone else heard about what prisons are integrating SNY and GP inmates? There are a lot of changes happening at RJD, and unfortunately, this is one of them. I am looking for resources and information as to who I can write/call regarding this.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:23 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 17,705 Times in 6,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmybrat View Post
Has anyone else heard about what prisons are integrating SNY and GP inmates? There are a lot of changes happening at RJD, and unfortunately, this is one of them. I am looking for resources and information as to who I can write/call regarding this.
Nothing confirmed, just a lot of shifting around. :/
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (02-08-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 07:45 PM

My husband said it happened today where hes at. This is horrible.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmekimi View Post
My husband said it happened today where hes at. This is horrible.
What prison is he at? It has started at RJD also.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:57 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Latest LSA newsletter addresses some of the fears being voiced around Integrated Yards, or NDFP (non designated facility).

Basically saying take a breath-- there is no plan to flip all SNY, GP inmates being moved happen on a selective basis after being screened, no mass clearing or flipping of yards but rather a "trickle" on the three yards currently in operation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Int1.jpg (126.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Int2.jpg (154.4 KB, 39 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (03-01-2018), sidewalker (03-03-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 12:49 PM

Thank you for sharing this.
The Following User Says Thank You to missingmybrat For This Useful Post:
miamac (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 09:41 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,073 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmybrat View Post
First things first. What is going on in CDCR with SN yards is they are reviewing those that are already there. Plus they are trying to figure out why so many new arrivals are jumping on the SNY.
CDCR will be moving a few SNY inmates out and in to GP. They are not shutting down SNY. CDCR is also seeing a spike with inmates that have been GP. now wanting to go to SNY. CDCR can not do away with SNY

SENSITIVE NEEDS YARDS SNY
is the fastest growing population within the prison system, with approximately 41,000 SNY offenders. The departmentís goals include developing a long-term plan with more stringent criteria for an offender to obtain an SNY designation and consideration of other measures that may be effective with this population

The department has initiated several efforts to address this growing population, including the development of an orientation program for new SNY inmates, which will be facilitated by institution management and other SNY inmates to provide a detailed overview of the program and program expectations. The department stated it is working to provide newly incarcerated offenders with the ability to connect with their families and support systems and is in the process of placing telephones within each housing unit at every reception center in the State. The department believes that providing newly incarcerated offenders the ability to connect with their families and support systems will help ease the transition and alleviate fears about the prison environment. The department believes this may result in fewer offenders seeking SNY placement based solely on their unconfirmed fears of a general population prison environment. These telephones will provide newly incarcerated offenders with the ability to make at least one telephone call within their first seven days at a reception center. Inmates will then be provided a phone call every 30 days until they are transferred. In addition, the department reported it has reconvened its Wardens Advisory Group to develop criteria for two separate SNY housing options, programming and non-programming SNYs. The Wardens Advisory Group also developed recommendations for expedited transfers between yards and institutions that could house non-programming inmates.
Furthermore, the department initiated non-designated programming facilities (PFs) at the Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility (RJD) in December 2016 and at the California Health Care Facility (CHCF) in February 2017. These institutions have a level II PF that does not use either SNY or general population identifiers. The department stated the focus for PFs is to provide a housing environment for those inmates demonstrating positive programming efforts and a desire to refrain from violence. This change is to allow for greater access to lower level housing and commensurate privileges, along with various rehabilitative programs, including education, vocation, and religious activities. Offenders recommended for transfer to a PF are not required to waive their SNY designation or display a willingness to program before transfer. If an offender refuses a transfer to a PF, they are subject to the departmentís disciplinary process and may be placed into higher level housing. The OIG will continue to monitor the recent implementation of these programming facilities and report any potential safety and security concerns of department staff and the offender population.
source for this information is Eighth Report on CDCRís Progress Implementing the Blueprint pages 18 & 19. This is last years report(2017) This is some of what is going to be put in place.
gvalliant (03-01-2018), sidewalker (03-03-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 10:04 AM

I have visited CHCF a few times through 2017. It still feels like SNY / GP separation. Last year inmates had to decide if they wanted to participate or not. Those who did not were isolated from those who did. So now they have PF / GP instead of SNY / GP separation.

They had a large visiting room that had to be shared. GP visits might be from 8:00 to 10:30 am then they would be cleared out and PF would have visits from 11:00 to 3:00. Or maybe they would split a full Saturday for GP and a full Sunday for PF visits.

Then they closed that large visiting room (which was new and about the nicest one I've seen) and built another pair of smaller visiting rooms. One for GP and one for PF. Still separated. My friend tells me that they are still kept separated in the yards. I presume over time they wish to move the GP inmates out of CHCF to transition all or most of CHCF to PF. It is happening slow and careful.

We both feel like CDCR really has not thought this whole thing through yet and are figuring it out as they go. He seems not worried but he sure was when CDCR told him he had to decide last year. The choice was go PF or you have to leave CHCF. He had been GP, didn't want to leave CHCF so made the leap. I think that happened to many inmates.

Patrick's post about the large SNY population is on point. I have heard exactly that. SNY is becoming a larger population than GP. I think this speaks to a larger problem within CDCR. Why the hell is everyone wanting to get out of GP? That says they have a significant problem with the GP yards that CDCR needs to address (IMO). Instead of fixing their GP problems, their solution is PF yards?? I dunno.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
miamac (03-01-2018), Patrickj (03-01-2018), sidewalker (03-03-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 08:54 AM

I visited CHCF yesterday for first time in several months. The two visiting rooms are integrated now and appears they now have most if not all of the facility integrated.

I asked my friend and a couple of the guards how that is going. They all more or less shrugged their shoulders, comments like no big deal so far, maybe a few hiccups. But no big issues according to the three I asked. It is a medical facility and houses a lot of older and sicker inmates so it is likely a calmer atmosphere there whether integrated or not.

I'll check when I visit again in a few months but I thought that was encouraging.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
miamac (03-11-2018), Patrickj (03-11-2018), Sarianna (03-11-2018), sidewalker (03-22-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 11:33 PM

Wow didn't know about all this that's going on. Been off for a few months and I really don't speak with my husband long story there. But, regardless didn't know all this was jumping off. Really can't understand CDCR's line of thinking but doesn't surprise me in the least. Think it's a big mistake like everyone else does. Guess just have to wait and see. My husband is so Centinela and wants to transfer to Donovan I think next year don't see that happening now but again it's not really going to be his choice if they do send him, hell who knows. But, I will keep checking in now with you girls for info.

Last edited by Francis213; 03-19-2018 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: Added info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francis213 For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (03-21-2018), sidewalker (03-22-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 11:05 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Recent memo from CDCR regarding Level 1, 2, min and firecamp integration.

EDIT: the memo does indicate that inmates will be informed of this, but as we know that can be hit or miss. It's always a good idea, if you're able, to print and mail a copy or two inside for our loved ones to share. Keep the rumor mill to a dull roar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29695174_1709126159144011_247755411808059392_n.jpg (91.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 29793048_1709126199144007_3190050967278059520_n.jpg (96.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 29694683_1709126179144009_1067357939230048256_n.jpg (61.0 KB, 41 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NonDApril2018.pdf (76.0 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by miamac; 04-05-2018 at 01:05 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
ALWAYS HERE 4 M (04-05-2018), gvalliant (04-05-2018), Inhishands (04-08-2018), Sarianna (04-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 06:49 PM

Question Is there a list of 50/50 yards?

Is there a comprehensive list of the CA prisons that have 50/50 yards and the levels they include?
Can I get informed (build a list) of this info if there isn't already one, please?
Thank you
Old 05-06-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Recent memo from CDCR regarding Level 1, 2, min and firecamp integration.

EDIT: the memo does indicate that inmates will be informed of this, but as we know that can be hit or miss. It's always a good idea, if you're able, to print and mail a copy or two inside for our loved ones to share. Keep the rumor mill to a dull roar.
Is This Happing At All Prisons Or ? And You Don't Have To Sign They Will Just Put/Move You Anytime ? ?
Old 05-06-2018, 06:28 PM

They've done this where my hubby is already also- SVSP-on D-yard. And its been nothing but bullshit and lockdowns since it started. Im still pretty much in shock that this is even being ALLOWED to happen- it defeats the whole purpose of having an SNY yard to begin with, doesnt it? Smh- its SO frustrating the way tbe cdc is always fucking SOMETHING up somewhere or somehow to make life harder for an inmate than it already is- especially for those who are trying to just do their time ,stay outta trouble and come home....it almost seems like its just an IMPOSSIBLE thing to do for anyone housed on a level 4 yard at all
Old 05-06-2018, 08:42 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdalineNChris View Post
Is This Happing At All Prisons Or ? And You Don't Have To Sign They Will Just Put/Move You Anytime ? ?
Not all. And yes, they will move folks without the option to stay. From what I understand they're moving mainline onto SNY. They can refuse, but it's considered a disciplinary action (refusal of housing) and can land them in the hole with a write-up.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:09 PM

I spoke with mine yesterday, he's at Centinela and he's on D yard he said that there was a lot of moving going on and that when guys were going to committee they are asked to sign some waiver staying that CDCr can't be sued if something happens to them while the yard is being made into a 50/50 yard? And that on his yard they are putting reception inmates on the bottom tier while they are figuring things out! That's crazy too me, they don't program them together yet still it's crazy. I know they moved him to another block also. Oh, he said these are all inmates who are level I. Not sure I understand any of this.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:42 AM

Default Searching for prisons that have 50/50 yard, SNY and GP mixed.

I have been searching for prisons that have 50/50 yard, SNY and GP mixed. Does anyone know or heard of this here in California , do they have SNY at San Quentin level 2?
Old 05-08-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactowife View Post
I have been searching for prisons that have 50/50 yard, SNY and GP mixed. Does anyone know or heard of this here in California , do they have SNY at San Quentin level 2?
Idk about San Quentin but my hubby is at Salinas Valley State Prison (in Soledad, CA) on D-Yard and its a 50/50 yard.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:33 PM
Two Hearts One Soul

My son was just endorsed to San Quentin level 2. He was put up for SATF and Stockton but they endorsed him to San Quentin. This is just not right.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:44 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juans Girl View Post
My son was just endorsed to San Quentin level 2. He was put up for SATF and Stockton but they endorsed him to San Quentin. This is just not right.
Happens a lot, unfortunately. :/
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (05-10-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactowife View Post
Has anyone here heard of California prisons turning into 50/50 yards. Half GP and SNY?

Yes! I believe Donovan is one of those facilities that houses both SNY and GP together.

As a matter of fact according to my sonís father, .. he says a lot of Level 2 and Level 1 prisons will be transitioning to SNY and GP integration! He was told this by committee this last time he went and was asked if heír be willing to program in a yard like that. I guess thereís a big push for that!
gvalliant (05-11-2018), Sarianna (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 08:43 AM
Banned

So basically if youre a snitch or a gang drop out youre ok, but if you are somehow a sex offender or someone with multiple sentences after for unrelated things (second striker or what have you) than you cant go to a yard like that?
Old 05-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Banned

I was in SQ reception, it seemed very laid back. The GP level 2 there seemed more laid back from the people I saw as I walked to medical or my interactions with them when i was in hole there, they seemed more normal or sane than the sny even level 2 people.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosh-Polish View Post
So basically if youre a snitch or a gang drop out youre ok, but if you are somehow a sex offender or someone with multiple sentences after for unrelated things (second striker or what have you) than you cant go to a yard like that?
My sonís father is considered GP, .. Iím not familiar with what SNY consist of at all. From the few details my sonís father has given me in the past SNY is anyone that would need protection because they are unsafe in GP BUT these GP and SNY integrstef yards, the GP people are being asked if theyíre willing to program with the SNY. My sonís father was able to program with pretty much anyone, he doesnít really care what other people did or where they come from or what gang their from, .. heís just there to do his time. Not all the fellas thought like him though, there were guys that couldnít stand him because of what they thought ďhe representedĒ .. all of this will be new. I guess weíll have to wait it out and see how it plays out!
miamac (05-12-2018)