Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:38 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,015 Times in 6,845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvalliant View Post
What the hell happens to you if CDCR decides one day to transfer you to another prison - GP yard? Unless I'm missing something, you would need to go to SNY for your safety.
That's a really good question. I don't know. Another reason to encourage our loved ones not to participate in the paper-showing/asking tradition. There are people who don't do it, but there is blowback from that, too. Tough position they've created with this.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2017, 01:08 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

This is the first I've heard VSP mentioned, but yes...they are doing it. See this thread here.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Chucheswifey (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 01:28 PM

Yes he told me that today and I don't think its cool...I'm really concerned now more than ever cus he is easy target due to he is disabled... He said that GP inmates have 24 hours to take flight on an inmate and if they don't they r considered no good...meaning sny...I just don't understand how this can even happen n the first place...thank u again I will check that thread....
The Following User Says Thank You to Chucheswifey For This Useful Post:
miamac (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 01:39 PM

My husband jus told me today that they r doing that at VSP...n Chowchilla... I'm really concerned about that...he told me that they want to make it a 50/50 yard...like really how does that happen...realistically speaking...they r also posing a risk for the correctional officers...it jus doesn't make sense...he told me that the way GP program runs that they have 24 hours to take flight on a sny inmate and if he doesn't he's considered no good...like really?!...my husband is a sny inmate and I'm really concerned for his safety that he is also disabled which he poses a easy target...Im so worried I don't know what to do or who to contact...but I did send an email to the governor with my concern...
Old 03-23-2017, 04:14 PM

Thanked 1,220 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucheswifey View Post
My husband jus told me today that they r doing that at VSP...n Chowchilla... I'm really concerned about that...he told me that they want to make it a 50/50 yard...like really how does that happen...realistically speaking...they r also posing a risk for the correctional officers...it jus doesn't make sense...he told me that the way GP program runs that they have 24 hours to take flight on a sny inmate and if he doesn't he's considered no good...like really?!...my husband is a sny inmate and I'm really concerned for his safety that he is also disabled which he poses a easy target...Im so worried I don't know what to do or who to contact...but I did send an email to the governor with my concern...
We are relying on information from our LO's. CHCF is in process and not really implemented. Calls them programming yards, and I assume that is the same thing as 50/50 yards. I know they have separated people who agreed to program from people who did not agree; similar to separating SNY from GP. If they handle it the same way at VSP your husband would be kept away from any who do not program if that helps your concerns a tiny bit. This is a temporary arrangement and I "think" the intent is to ship non-programming out to other locations.

I'll likely be at CHCF this weekend; if I hear any more I'll post. It would help to see information from CDCR on this. They don't seem to have explained this clearly to inmates at affected yards. Very disruptive right now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
Chucheswifey (03-23-2017), miamac (03-23-2017), sidewalker (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 07:25 AM

The Inmate Family Council has not been informed that anything like this is happening at VSP, so I believe it's just a rumor at this point. I'll follow up and let you know what we find out from administration.

Quote:
Yes he told me that today and I don't think its cool...I'm really concerned now more than ever cus he is easy target due to he is disabled... He said that GP inmates have 24 hours to take flight on an inmate and if they don't they r considered no good...meaning sny...I just don't understand how this can even happen n the first place...thank u again I will check that thread....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheri S For This Useful Post:
missingdee (03-24-2017), Mrs.cs1977 (03-27-2017), sidewalker (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 08:09 AM

I just followed up with our IFC chair... Donovan is a pilot program to see if this arrangement (programming vs. non-programming yards instead of general vs. SNY) would work, so that is something CDCR would like to implement statewide. As far as we know, though, there aren't immediate plans to expand this to VSP at this point. We are going to address it at our meeting next month, and I'll post again with an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri S View Post
The Inmate Family Council has not been informed that anything like this is happening at VSP, so I believe it's just a rumor at this point. I'll follow up and let you know what we find out from administration.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheri S For This Useful Post:
missingdee (03-24-2017), Mrs.cs1977 (03-27-2017), sidewalker (04-03-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 08:39 AM

Sharing this info. This email message has been coming from VPASS for about one month now. It is official notification from CDCR that CHCF is implementing Programming (Integrated Housing). Non-programming people visiting privileges are akin to SHU (non-contact). I know they were moving inmates to different housing one or two months ago as this was occurring. All non-programming in E1 and E4. Apparently at least in E1 there are also programming people. They are still separate (per what I have been told by friend in the facility).

In the visiting room, contact visit hours are one day SNY, one day GP as it has always been. So they are not integrating SNY with programming GP yet. At least not in the visiting room.

The statement "SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE" is why I assume they will move non-programming inmates somewhere else. Otherwise who knows...

"The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation VPASS System has changed your preferred facility message. Your preferred facility is California Health Care Facility..

New Message:

Effective February 17, 2017, CHCF has activated the Programming Facility (Integrated Housing). Inmates who are unwilling to participate have been housed in E1 and E4. Those areas are currently on a modified program and will be allowed Non-Contact Visits only until further notice. Inmates housed in E1 who elected to program with Integrated Housing will have normal visiting hours. THIS SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. FOR OUR MOST UPDATED VISITING SCHEDULE PLEASE CALL (800) 374-8474......"
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
miamac (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 11:55 AM

We contacted the PIO (public information officer) at VSP, and he stated that there is nothing in the works to make VSP a "50/50" yard the way they're doing it at Donovan. At Donovan (and maybe other facilities) it is possible to implement because they can keep yards completely separated from each other. The way VSP is structured there is commingling between yards, and so he said he does not see anything like that being tried here in the future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheri S For This Useful Post:
Mrs.cs1977 (03-27-2017), sidewalker (04-03-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
I've merged your thread from VSP to this one so that we can keep the information on (50/50) Integrated Yards in the same place because this is really new for all of CDCR and I'm sure questions will be popping up.

Quote:
We contacted the PIO (public information officer) at VSP, and he stated that there is nothing in the works to make VSP a "50/50" yard the way they're doing it at Donovan.
Cheri, thank you for your quick response to this. I think a lot of people will be scrambling for information as these changes happen and this was really helpful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Cheri S (03-24-2017), sidewalker (04-03-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 09:12 PM

Thank u... I hope new information comes up...I'm jus concerned about the whole issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I've merged your thread from VSP to this one so that we can keep the information on (50/50) Integrated Yards in the same place because this is really new for all of CDCR and I'm sure questions will be popping up.

Cheri, thank you for your quick response to this. I think a lot of people will be scrambling for information as these changes happen and this was really helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chucheswifey For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (04-03-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 07:33 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,297 Times in 14,284 Posts

This is a bad idea, in my opinion.
It could work in theory.
But my gut says no way.

Thank you all for keeping us informed and updated.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 05-26-2017, 09:04 AM

Has this change happened to any ones LO? If so how is it going With the change... These changes are happening at my husbands prison now.. I don't see or understand how CDCR thinks this is a safe idea they r in SNY for a reason..
Old 05-26-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBell View Post
Has this change happened to any ones LO? If so how is it going With the change... These changes are happening at my husbands prison now.. I don't see or understand how CDCR thinks this is a safe idea they r in SNY for a reason..
I haven't been to visit CHCF in a while but plan to be up in next few weeks. I'll try to get a read from my friend at that time.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
MissBell (05-26-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
So if this is true (still struggling to see the benefit to CDCR, but hey...I'm open minded) and people are being forced to move off SNY, are they disallowing anyone from flipping sides now? I mean, are they stopping the flow of new SNY? If not, what's the point?
100%undoing of all reform efforts... Get stats up show the public, not explain how or why it "got bad" again. Reinstate indeterminate SHU and other nefarious and draconian "solutions" = mo' $ mo' $ mo' $ mo'!
Old 12-23-2017, 02:49 AM

Quote:
I just followed up with our IFC chair... Donovan is a pilot program to see if this arrangement (programming vs. non-programming yards instead of general vs. SNY) would work, so that is something CDCR would like to implement statewide. As far as we know, though, there aren't immediate plans to expand this to VSP at this point. We are going to address it at our meeting next month, and I'll post again with an update.
My husband is at RJD. From what he understands, the new minimum yard was integrated. Now the level 3 yard is in the process. He said there's a message about it on the inmate institution channel. How is this going to work? When someone is SNY, and now going to have GP inmates on their yard, aren't they going to be a "target"? I'm not understaning this, and extremely worried for my husbands safety, as is he.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:08 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmybrat View Post
My husband is at RJD. From what he understands, the new minimum yard was integrated. Now the level 3 yard is in the process. He said there's a message about it on the inmate institution channel. How is this going to work? When someone is SNY, and now going to have GP inmates on their yard, aren't they going to be a "target"? I'm not understaning this, and extremely worried for my husbands safety, as is he.
My husband is level 3 SNY, as well. We've discussed the possibility of him finding himself on an integrated yard. His feelings are this: any GP inmate who feels that strongly about being associated with SNY will do whatever they can to get off the yard in the first day or two. After that, they'll be no good on GP, either. So yes, there's a risk but so far we've not heard anything about violence or retribution from an integrated yard. So that's a good sign. The only other option for an SNY inmate who feels that strongly that they are in danger is to ask for removal to the hole for protection or facility transfer.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
My husband is level 3 SNY, as well. We've discussed the possibility of him finding himself on an integrated yard. His feelings are this: any GP inmate who feels that strongly about being associated with SNY will do whatever they can to get off the yard in the first day or two. After that, they'll be no good on GP, either. So yes, there's a risk but so far we've not heard anything about violence or retribution from an integrated yard. So that's a good sign. The only other option for an SNY inmate who feels that strongly that they are in danger is to ask for removal to the hole for protection or facility transfer.
There have been several serious incidents on the Level 2 yard at RJD when the "integrated yard" opened. Unfortunately, because my husband is "medical", there is only one other place he can transfer to. He was transferred to RJD for that reason. Where/who can I contact to voice concerns regarding this? Because a GP inmate was able to get near my husband is the reason he is now medical
Old 12-23-2017, 10:47 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmybrat View Post
There have been several serious incidents on the Level 2 yard at RJD when the "integrated yard" opened. Unfortunately, because my husband is "medical", there is only one other place he can transfer to. He was transferred to RJD for that reason. Where/who can I contact to voice concerns regarding this? Because a GP inmate was able to get near my husband is the reason he is now medical
I'm sorry, I didn't know about the Level 2 incidents. Typically that stuff floats through the grapevine, but I hadn't heard it yet. Coupled with your experience, I can absolutely sympathize with your concern.

From what I understand, they're giving people the option to leave the yard via the SHU. That's not very encouraging, I know, and I don't know how true it is for all of the yards they're flipping. I don't know who makes the decision to integrate a yard, but I'm guessing it comes from Sac down. As far as who to contact-- the ombudsman would be my first contact. Let them know the reason your husband is there and that you have serious concerns for his well-being if this happens on his yard.

I will do some more asking around and see if anyone knows anything about getting off an integrated yard when you have specific needs. If I get any info, I'll post.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:21 AM

Default Link missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Could this be what is being talked about
https://external-affairs-news.blogspot.com/
Hi - the link is no longer there. Can anyone repost?

Thx- E

Old 01-28-2018, 12:06 AM

Angry

As of this month, CDCR is integrating GP "honor yards" with SNY. So, at CSP-LAC, they're moving people from the mainline on A and B yards into the SNY yard(s)--C yard, anyway; not sure about D yard.

Forcing gang dropouts to live with people from GP. It's causing major chaos, problems, and violence.

Unbelievable.

I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you took care of me. I was in prison, and you visited me. Matthew 25:36
Old 01-28-2018, 06:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
They will have to keep SNY yards . Reason being the people that are housed in those units are there for their own safety as well as the safety of other inmates. SNY are programming yards they are not locked down 24/7 To do away with SNY yards would lead to many law suites and injuries or deaths to innocent individuals do to some of the stupid inmate politics that keep this rumor machine running
Notice when these things come up . It is always some counselor or officer saying this, never comes from Sacramento also a staff member . Staff feed the rumor mill to keep the s**t pot stirring also
well technically they beat inmates (meaning the cos) and conspire with others to dotheir dirty work or even threaten or do lies giving them more timedor reporting why they have bruises to medical at sny yards like techachapi and high desert sowho is tosay they care about lawsuits to begin with?

Last edited by Mosh-Polish; 01-28-2018 at 06:35 AM..
Old 01-28-2018, 06:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by comehomesoon View Post
It is very much true.

This yard was already created at Donovan and is being expanded to other facilities. I know there is another post on here about it that I have posted in.

Basically, they are trying to make these so- called "programming yards" that are not either GP or SNY. They are called programming, but in reality, they contain both GP and SNY inmates. There are specific rules that have to be followed to live there and specific requirements that have to be met to be moved to one of these yards. But the idea behind it all is that they are trying to create yards where everyone (AKA inmates) all agree to work and live together regardless of anything. An SNY inmate has to give up SNY status to live there.

I, for one, think it is a big mistake. My husband is SNY and was hurt by another inmate while on an SNY yard. It was bad enough that gangs are already infiltrating SNY yards and causing problems, now this.

CDCR thinks that this is the answer to people who wanted to get off GP/mainline and just program and live peacefully. That may be the case, but it certainly will not work for all inmates.

IMHO, there will always have to be SNY yards, and if SNY inmates get penalized because he refuses to go to this type of facility..... well who knows where that will go. A whole new set of lawsuits.
when you say you have to give up your sny status do you mean sign off your chrono? if that is the case all the guys on these yards are therevoluntarily and actuLly go out of their way to do it and youre trying to blame the state or cdcr? it means there is a reasonto go there or they are tempted themselves maybe they regret being sny to begin with and this is their one chance out, but its their choice fully.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
This came up during visit this past weekend. Here's what was said, in a nutshell:

The two yards that this is happening on are, in essence, being viewed as SNY by inmates. Mainline inmates who land on that yard have three days (inmate set timeline) to get off the yard. Yes, that means by whatever means. If they're still there on the fourth day, they're "no good". In other words, they've gone SNY themselves. Some of this goes back to the standard practice of showing your papers. If it's determined that you spent significant time on an SNY yard when your papers are shown, it's no good for you. That's where the 3 day "rule" came from.

Does this put actual SNY inmates in danger? It would seem so.
It's also been viewed as a way of going SNY without looking weak. Someone who has been on the fence is now 'forced' into it.
what would be kind of amusing or funny and i cans ee some captains and cos doing this to inmates they loathe would be if an inmate god off say attacked another inmate to get off the prison within three days was simply put in the ad seg there and released back or on another similar yard on there right away afterds or even more insidious after day three lol like their write up and more points and loss of privileges would be for nothing as theyd still be there.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosh-Polish View Post
when you say you have to give up your sny status do you mean sign off your chrono? if that is the case all the guys on these yards are therevoluntarily and actuLly go out of their way to do it and youre trying to blame the state or cdcr? it means there is a reasonto go there or they are tempted themselves maybe they regret being sny to begin with and this is their one chance out, but its their choice fully.

I guess they've changed my husband's SNY yard into a 50/50 yard. He didn't give up SNY status, they're just moving people ("programmers") from mainline into his yard and into his block. The people who were already there are feeling understandably threatened and "ganging up" together to protect themselves. He's staying in his cell as much as possible, won't go to yard, and preparing for lockdowns and lawsuits if attacked. CDC is setting up a very dangerous situation, seems to me.

And then they tell the guys to stay out of trouble and just program. SMH

I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you took care of me. I was in prison, and you visited me. Matthew 25:36