Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2018, 07:30 PM
Account Closed

Default Going away for a year and don't know what to expect

I hope no one minds if I relate a bit of backstory before getting to my question. I'm sorry, but I need to vent after everything I've been dealing with.

While not my real name, you can call me Amber. I'm 24 years old. My roommate of two years committed suicide in our apartment. When I discovered her body, I immediately called 911 and the police arrived. During their investigation, they discovered an insane amount of LSD tabs in her room. Enough to suggest she'd been dealing. I swear to God I hadn't known anything about it. Even now, I don't know who she was selling to or where she was meeting these people because we didn't have a lot of people coming and going at our place.

The police didn't believe that I could have been ignorant about all this and so I was charged. I know some of you may not believe me and I don't care. I know that I'm innocent.

Fortunately, my parents were able to help bail me out and help me hire a decent attorney. I'm now living with them as I was evicted after all this went down. In the months since all this happened, I've been going to work to work every day like nothing has happened, trying to keep it together.

I keep replaying every interaction between my roommate and I in my head over and over. I keep looking for some warning sign that I missed, but I can't find anything. Knowing she had this whole other life and kept it so well hidden makes me wonder if I ever knew her at all.

Back to my legal situation...the prosecution has offered me a deal. If I agree to plead guilty, I'll only serve a year in prison. Otherwise, I could be looking at ten years. My lawyer insists it's the best I can hope for. I trust his judgment as he's handled a lot of drug cases, so I've decided to accept the deal.

I can't believe my roommate put me in this situation. I want to grieve for her and tell her to go to hell all at the same time. And I keep wondering why she didn't trash the drugs before killing herself. Was it simply an oversight? Did she simply not care what might happen to me?

I'm sorry to have rambled on like this. Here's what I want to ask about. I'll be in court soon to accept the plea. Then I'll be off to prison. I've never been in trouble with the law and neither has anyone in my family or any of my friends (as far as I know). So, I have no idea what to expect. I was hoping someone might be able to offer some tips for getting along with other inmates, dealing with the guards, and, hell, just getting through the next year with my sanity intact.

If you made it this far, thank you, and I sincerely hope you're doing better than me.
Sponsored Links