Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:25 PM

Default Non-Designated Yards (Integrated, 50/50 Yards, GP and SNY mixed yards)

Apparently there is a rumor flying around that CDCR is doing away with SNY yards and that there will be only programming and non programming yards, has anyone heard this rumor? My husband told me this today, that another inmate said his counselor mentioned it to him. It doesn't sound very concrete to me. I can't see CDCR actually doing this but then again you never know.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2017, 10:08 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,011 Times in 6,843 Posts

It would fly in the face of them passing Prop 57 and the "R" in their title.

Who wouldn't have program? Mainline? Former SNY? And how does that status affect the ability or need to program? I can see disciplinary units not programming, but that's already in effect so...yeah, this isn't holding water.

So, no. I would chalk this up to another rumor to roll around until it dies a natural death.

Last edited by miamac; 01-01-2017 at 10:11 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
hizgirl123 (01-01-2017), Patrickj (01-02-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
It would fly in the face of them passing Prop 57 and the "R" in their title.

Who wouldn't have program? Mainline? Former SNY? And how does that status affect the ability or need to program? I can see disciplinary units not programming, but that's already in effect so...yeah, this isn't holding water.

So, no. I would chalk this up to another rumor to roll around until it dies a natural death.
Thanks! That is exactly what I told him. There is no way this going to take place.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:15 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizgirl123 View Post
Thanks! That is exactly what I told him. There is no way this going to take place.
I mean it is CDC(R?)...lol But this would be a stretch even for them. If you hear anything else, let us know. I'll ask when I see my husband next if he's heard anything.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
hizgirl123 (01-02-2017), Patrickj (01-02-2017), Sarianna (01-02-2017), sidewalker (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 08:06 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,291 Times in 14,282 Posts

It would be a huge mistake if you ask me.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Dakini (07-16-2018), miamac (01-02-2017), Osugirl (03-26-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 03:31 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizgirl123 View Post
Apparently there is a rumor flying around that CDCR is doing away with SNY yards and that there will be only programming and non programming yards, has anyone heard this rumor? My husband told me this today, that another inmate said his counselor mentioned it to him. It doesn't sound very concrete to me. I can't see CDCR actually doing this but then again you never know.
They will have to keep SNY yards . Reason being the people that are housed in those units are there for their own safety as well as the safety of other inmates. SNY are programming yards they are not locked down 24/7 To do away with SNY yards would lead to many law suites and injuries or deaths to innocent individuals do to some of the stupid inmate politics that keep this rumor machine running
Notice when these things come up . It is always some counselor or officer saying this, never comes from Sacramento also a staff member . Staff feed the rumor mill to keep the s**t pot stirring also
Believeinchange (01-02-2017), Lexhearnes (01-08-2017), miamac (01-02-2017), Sarianna (01-04-2017), sidewalker (01-04-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 10:27 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Sooo...I'm listening to the CARES for Youth conference call (Nov. 3rd) as I type this, and one of the callers rang in and asked about a memo she had read that would create a GP/SNY (volunteer honor?) program at Level 2 Donovan. The memo was dated Nov. 2016. The guest speaker from Root and Rebound didn't know anything about it, but the caller was going to forward the info to them for further research.

Not really any more info than we had, but thought I'd put it out there that someone was asking about this on that call.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 01:20 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Sooo...I'm listening to the CARES for Youth conference call (Nov. 3rd) as I type this, and one of the callers rang in and asked about a memo she had read that would create a GP/SNY (volunteer honor?) program at Level 2 Donovan. The memo was dated Nov. 2016. The guest speaker from Root and Rebound didn't know anything about it, but the caller was going to forward the info to them for further research.

Not really any more info than we had, but thought I'd put it out there that someone was asking about this on that call.
This maybe a trial thing just at this institution also. They will really have to screen both groups before mixing GP/SNY Time will tell .
miamac (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 01:23 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickj View Post
This maybe a trial thing just at this institution also. They will really have to screening both groups before mixing GP/SNY Time will tell .
Someone posted in another thread about a a mixed program memo. I asked my husband if he'd heard anything (Level 3, SNY) and his immediate reaction was similar to mine...no way. So he's not heard anything, either.

He did say that the language may be tripping people up because SNY inmates are often referred to as "general population" but then further classified as active or non-active, as gangs still pop up on the SNY side.
Patrickj (01-09-2017), sidewalker (03-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 01:28 PM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Someone posted in another thread about a a mixed program memo. I asked my husband if he'd heard anything (Level 3, SNY) and his immediate reaction was similar to mine...no way. So he's not heard anything, either.

He did say that the language may be tripping people up because SNY inmates are often referred to as "general population" but then further classified as active or non-active, as gangs still pop up on the SNY side.

What your husband said makes sense it is a wording thing that people on the outside do not understand CDCR ways of tangling words.
miamac (01-09-2017)
Old 06-06-2018, 02:22 PM

Default its real

Quote:
This maybe a trial thing just at this institution also. They will really have to screen both groups before mixing GP/SNY Time will tell .
they are doing it and many are being hurt and something must be done now..many have been hurt already...
Old 01-28-2018, 06:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
They will have to keep SNY yards . Reason being the people that are housed in those units are there for their own safety as well as the safety of other inmates. SNY are programming yards they are not locked down 24/7 To do away with SNY yards would lead to many law suites and injuries or deaths to innocent individuals do to some of the stupid inmate politics that keep this rumor machine running
Notice when these things come up . It is always some counselor or officer saying this, never comes from Sacramento also a staff member . Staff feed the rumor mill to keep the s**t pot stirring also
well technically they beat inmates (meaning the cos) and conspire with others to dotheir dirty work or even threaten or do lies giving them more timedor reporting why they have bruises to medical at sny yards like techachapi and high desert sowho is tosay they care about lawsuits to begin with?

Last edited by Mosh-Polish; 01-28-2018 at 06:35 AM..
Old 03-07-2017, 11:46 PM

Default SNY and GP Mixing

Word on the Yards is that CDCR is trying to stir @$$@ up once more.

They are trying to force SNY and GP to live with each other "or else".

You can thank Kathleen Allison (D.A.I) for this newest turd in the pool move.

Apparently it is her idea that she can force this situation or she will take away the privileges that current Non Designated Programming facilities have.

I want everyone right now to remember this specific post that I am posting when your Loved one, who may be SNY is killed by another inmate when they try to do this. (Or even might be the opposite way around).

This will be the evidence that goes against CDCR when this happens.

CDCR is always finding new ways to get inmates to fight one another and make no mistake, this is a huge issue about to happen.

The Memo's have already started to roll out.

I suggest all you family members find a way to make some noise before your loved one is put in harms way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PapaSmurf For This Useful Post:
mhrndz82 (02-11-2018), sidewalker (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
Word on the Yards is that CDCR is trying to stir @$$@ up once more.

They are trying to force SNY and GP to live with each other "or else".

You can thank Kathleen Allison (D.A.I) for this newest turd in the pool move.

Apparently it is her idea that she can force this situation or she will take away the privileges that current Non Designated Programming facilities have.

I want everyone right now to remember this specific post that I am posting when your Loved one, who may be SNY is killed by another inmate when they try to do this. (Or even might be the opposite way around).

This will be the evidence that goes against CDCR when this happens.

CDCR is always finding new ways to get inmates to fight one another and make no mistake, this is a huge issue about to happen.

The Memo's have already started to roll out.

I suggest all you family members find a way to make some noise before your loved one is put in harms way.
It is very much true.

This yard was already created at Donovan and is being expanded to other facilities. I know there is another post on here about it that I have posted in.

Basically, they are trying to make these so- called "programming yards" that are not either GP or SNY. They are called programming, but in reality, they contain both GP and SNY inmates. There are specific rules that have to be followed to live there and specific requirements that have to be met to be moved to one of these yards. But the idea behind it all is that they are trying to create yards where everyone (AKA inmates) all agree to work and live together regardless of anything. An SNY inmate has to give up SNY status to live there.

I, for one, think it is a big mistake. My husband is SNY and was hurt by another inmate while on an SNY yard. It was bad enough that gangs are already infiltrating SNY yards and causing problems, now this.

CDCR thinks that this is the answer to people who wanted to get off GP/mainline and just program and live peacefully. That may be the case, but it certainly will not work for all inmates.

IMHO, there will always have to be SNY yards, and if SNY inmates get penalized because he refuses to go to this type of facility..... well who knows where that will go. A whole new set of lawsuits.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:36 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by comehomesoon View Post
It is very much true.

This yard was already created at Donovan and is being expanded to other facilities. I know there is another post on here about it that I have posted in.
Interesting. But that negates the "forced or else" part of the other post which would be a whole 'nother ball game. If it's voluntary, then I suppose you have to decide if it's worth dropping your SNY status.

Isn't this a lot like Honor Yards?
Old 03-09-2017, 10:42 PM

Default No

Make no mistake. This is not voluntary. It seems that way, but it is "Voluntold"

CDCR's brainless theory is "Program and get benefits" - In all reality its the same stuff they have been getting... or Refuse to house with PC's and you will be courtesy transferred to a facility that does not have anything... and they will make sure and set it up that way.

This is a reality.

CDCR is trying to sneak this in in a very manipulative manner and claim that it is for the good of the inmates. To the public (Who have no real clue what goes on inside prisons) this seems like a star move.

The blood is on their hands.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:47 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

So if this is true (still struggling to see the benefit to CDCR, but hey...I'm open minded) and people are being forced to move off SNY, are they disallowing anyone from flipping sides now? I mean, are they stopping the flow of new SNY? If not, what's the point?
Old 03-10-2017, 09:48 AM

Thanked 1,220 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
Make no mistake. This is not voluntary. It seems that way, but it is "Voluntold"
He is correct. CHCF started this one or two months ago. All inmates were required to sign up to program. Or not sign up. Explicitly.

Inmates who agreed to program are maintaining normal benefits. Those who did not sign up had privileges removed. Contact visits were removed for example. I don't know the future for those inmates, but indications are they will all be transferred out of CHCF and other inmates will be transferred in who will agree to "program".

I've never been an inmate and won't venture into making predictions on how that will turn out. I'm inclined to listen to people on this thread who are experienced.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (03-11-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 07:39 PM

Default mixed SNY & GP at Donovan

Quote:
Interesting. But that negates the "forced or else" part of the other post which would be a whole 'nother ball game. If it's voluntary, then I suppose you have to decide if it's worth dropping your SNY status.

Isn't this a lot like Honor Yards?
My son is up north at a Level II SNY but would like to transfer to Donovan to make it easier for us to visit. Our concern is the mixing of SNY & GP. Has anyone had any of their loved ones experience this at Donovan? My main concern is my son's safety of course.

Thank you.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by comehomesoon View Post
It is very much true.

Basically, they are trying to make these so- called "programming yards" that are not either GP or SNY. They are called programming, but in reality, they contain both GP and SNY inmates. There are specific rules that have to be followed to live there and specific requirements that have to be met to be moved to one of these yards. But the idea behind it all is that they are trying to create yards where everyone (AKA inmates) all agree to work and live together regardless of anything. An SNY inmate has to give up SNY status to live there.

I, for one, think it is a big mistake. My husband is SNY and was hurt by another inmate while on an SNY yard. It was bad enough that gangs are already infiltrating SNY yards and causing problems, now this.

CDCR thinks that this is the answer to people who wanted to get off GP/mainline and just program and live peacefully. That may be the case, but it certainly will not work for all inmates.

IMHO, there will always have to be SNY yards, and if SNY inmates get penalized because he refuses to go to this type of facility..... well who knows where that will go. A whole new set of lawsuits.
when you say you have to give up your sny status do you mean sign off your chrono? if that is the case all the guys on these yards are therevoluntarily and actuLly go out of their way to do it and youre trying to blame the state or cdcr? it means there is a reasonto go there or they are tempted themselves maybe they regret being sny to begin with and this is their one chance out, but its their choice fully.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosh-Polish View Post
when you say you have to give up your sny status do you mean sign off your chrono? if that is the case all the guys on these yards are therevoluntarily and actuLly go out of their way to do it and youre trying to blame the state or cdcr? it means there is a reasonto go there or they are tempted themselves maybe they regret being sny to begin with and this is their one chance out, but its their choice fully.

I guess they've changed my husband's SNY yard into a 50/50 yard. He didn't give up SNY status, they're just moving people ("programmers") from mainline into his yard and into his block. The people who were already there are feeling understandably threatened and "ganging up" together to protect themselves. He's staying in his cell as much as possible, won't go to yard, and preparing for lockdowns and lawsuits if attacked. CDC is setting up a very dangerous situation, seems to me.

And then they tell the guys to stay out of trouble and just program. SMH

I was naked, and you clothed me. I was sick, and you took care of me. I was in prison, and you visited me. Matthew 25:36
Old 02-05-2018, 10:23 PM

What prison is ur husband at? My husband is a RJD, and they seem to be integrating yards there too. Apparently they are going to be on "lock down" this week while this is being done. There is also no visiting for the next couple of weeks, although no explanation as to why. My guess is possibly due to the integration happening? I don't know how this can legally happen, when there is a reason why there is a SNY yard to begin with. Who can we as loved ones contact regarding this? My husbands life could be in serious danger if his yard is integrated.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:31 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,291 Times in 14,282 Posts

Could this be what is being talked about
https://external-affairs-news.blogspot.com/

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post

Could be. Thanks for the link, that's actually a bit of a treasure chest for other reasons. But...that still doesn't cover SNY. STG just means you're marked as affiliated, not necessarily that you've moved over. There are major reclassification changes happening and I think the rumor mill is in full effect.
Patrickj (03-09-2017), sidewalker (03-10-2017)
Old 01-06-2018, 12:21 AM

Default Link missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Hi - the link is no longer there. Can anyone repost?

Thx- E