Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison For anyone that has a same sex partner, family member, friend or Pen Pal in prison that is Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgendered.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:18 PM

Default Journalist respectfully seeking transgender inmates

Hi, i am a college journalist seeking former trans inmates/ family of trans inmates to help educate me on prison conditions for transgendered inmates in the U.S. There is VERY little research on the topic and I am hoping to help spread awareness for inmate equality. Please respond if you can help. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2017, 11:58 PM

Thanked 1,274 Times in 708 Posts

The National Center for Transgender Equality may be able to help get you started. Their leader has worked to educate law enforcement.

http://www.advocate.com/transgender/...arolina-arrest

The National Center for Transgender Equality's executive director spent her time in custody briefing the police about what to do with trans and non-binary arrestees.
Quote:
I introduced myself, and told them what I did, and I asked if I could talk to them about how to properly process and handle trans detainees that might be coming through, Keisling says. And they were very receptive; they asked smart questions.
Overall it's pretty grim.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (02-06-2018), klc1996 (07-08-2017), patchouli (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,253 Times in 10,591 Posts

Advisory for PTO Members Regarding Requests from Journalists & Members of the Media, and Students/Researchers:

PTO welcomes journalists and/or members of the media to learn and educate themselves about prisons, prisoners, and their loved ones, as well as students and researchers doing research on these subjects.

We will, occasionally, allow the media or students/researchers to request information and personal stories from our members. However, PTO does not endorse any journalist, member of the media, story/report, media outlet, student/researcher, or educational/research institution.

If you decide to communicate with a media representative or a researcher, then you assume all of the risks involved. PTO is in no way liable for the outcome of the story/report/paper. Communication with members of the media and students/researchers is completely voluntarily and PTO holds no responsibility for the consequences of that communication.

PTO does not screen or authenticate any person(s) claiming to be from the media or from an educational/research institution, nor does PTO authenticate their motivations for obtaining the information.

As always, the disclosure of personal information (either yours or someone that is incarcerated) may have some serious repercussions. PTO has no way of predicting how the media or any researcher will present your story or that of your loved one. Any relationship with the media or any researchers is to be entered into at your own risk.

If you receive an unsolicited email or private message from a person claiming to be from the media or researching information for an educational or research institution, report it to the PTO Administration immediately.
fbopnomore (07-09-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (02-06-2018), klc1996 (07-08-2017), patchouli (07-02-2017), Sarianna (07-02-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 08:57 PM

Thank you for this post! I do have a few questions. What is PTO? And how can I reach out?
Old 07-08-2017, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 5,266 Times in 2,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klc1996 View Post
Thank you for this post! I do have a few questions. What is PTO? And how can I reach out?
This is PTO. Prison Talk Online. PTO.

How can you reach out? You can't here. You posted your initial post stating what you are looking for. If and only if any of our members want to engage, they will. Otherwise, that's it.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:08 PM

Default .

Im sorry i was a little confused. Thank you for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
This is PTO. Prison Talk Online. PTO.

How can you reach out? You can't here. You posted your initial post stating what you are looking for. If and only if any of our members want to engage, they will. Otherwise, that's it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to klc1996 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-09-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (02-06-2018), sidewalker (07-09-2017)
Old 02-06-2018, 01:04 PM

Contact Trans Pride Initiative in Dallas. They work with Texas trans incarcerated people.

tpride.org
The Following User Says Thank You to cien For This Useful Post:
BillyMalaga (02-13-2018)