Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 01-11-2003, 01:51 PM

Default PTO Member Ed Mead Will Speak In Portland, Eugene, and Ashland

Hi All,

I will be speaking in several Oregon cities on January 17th, 18th, and 19th. Here is a flyer for the Portland talk:

On Friday, January 17th, Splitting the Sky and Ed Mead will be speaking in Portland. The presentation will take place at Disjecta, 116 NE Russell, at 7PM.

This event is sponsored by the Anarchist Prisoners' Legal Aid Network outside support collective, Break the Chains and Anti-Capitalist Action. It is free, but we encourage donations to cover costs and support ongoing prisoner solidarity activities ($3 - $10 suggested).

Splitting The Sky
When the history of the late 20th Century peoples' movement for Justice and Peace is written, the figure of Dacajeweiah Splitting the Sky John Hill will stand tall. This extraordinary freedom fighter exemplifies the spirit and character unique to those exciting times. From a background of orphanages and boarding schools, Dacajeweiah emerged as a principal leader of the Attica rebellion at the age of nineteen, and later became a major figure with the American Indian Movement. With the publication of his long anticipated memoir, Autobiography of Splitting the Sky Along With his Wife Sandra Bruderer: From Attica to Gustafsen Lake; Unmasking the Secrets of the Psycho-Sexual Energy and the Struggle for Original Peoples Title, Dacajeweiah reveals the definitive inside account of the Attica uprising and its horrendous aftermath, takes us behind the scene at Gustafsen Lake, Canadas own Wounded Knee, and provides us with invaluable insight into the late 20th Century struggles for peace and justice and Native American self-determination.

Ed Mead, is a former political prisoner, the co-founder of Prison Legal News, organizer of Men Against Sexism (a group that militantly opposed sexism, racism, homophobia and rape) inside the walls of the Washington State Penitentiary at Walla Walla, and the creator of the Prison Art Project. He will speak on the formation of Seattle's George Jackson Brigade (or GJB - a now defunct clandestine organization made up of working class anti-authoritarians and anti-imperialists) back in the '70s, and the relevance of that group's approach to organizing in the context of today's political realities. Ed spent 18 years behind bars as a result of his alleged participation in the GJB-related activities.

See you there!

Please forward this message to your friends who may be interested.

APLAN / 818 SW 3rd Ave. PMB 354 / Portland, OR 97204 weneversleep@ziplip.com
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Been here forever

Best of luck to you Ed.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Closed

Ed, it is great to see you speak out on these issues. I wish I could be there. After this last weekend I hate to promise to show up because I am dependent on there being an open seat on the planes. If I don't see you this weekend, i will see you hopefully at the Austin art show. Good luck and god bless.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:46 AM
Remember to Smile!
Donation Award 

YAYAYA for me I live in portland. I will see you there Ed.

Sharon
Old 01-13-2003, 07:25 PM

when will you be in ashland?
Old 01-13-2003, 07:33 PM

I will be in Ashland on Sunday, the 19th, speaking at an activist cafe called Avos. The time will probably be 6:30 or 7:00 PM, the cafe should know more.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:40 AM

Ops, ignore the previous. It is Sunday, January 19, at 7:00 pm at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the Rogue Valley 87 4th St. in Ashland.