Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmwhaley View Post
Yep, mine started doing it Tuesday as well. Its only with inmate calls though. I tried with my office phone and it went through fine! Guess i'm gona have to switch back to another service which i really didn't wanna do...
what other choices do we have?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:32 PM

We called Global and they told us they do not allow "transferred calls" so they are now disconnecting calls. Don't know what to do.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:02 AM

How can I set up my account with GTL and Google Voice? I have a number and he bought a card and can call me fine with the prepaid but I wanted to do my part and pay for some of the calls too. It isn't like he gets much money in there and I don't want him spending all his state money on our calls. I sat up the touch pay but it wont accept my payment. when I tried to call and do it the person wanted the bill. which I don't have. before google voice it was costing me 8 bucks a call. He can call me with the prepaid on the new number for 2! that is 4 calls compared to 1! any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Come on 7-11!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri'sBeauty View Post
How can I set up my account with GTL and Google Voice? I have a number and he bought a card and can call me fine with the prepaid but I wanted to do my part and pay for some of the calls too. It isn't like he gets much money in there and I don't want him spending all his state money on our calls. I sat up the touch pay but it wont accept my payment. when I tried to call and do it the person wanted the bill. which I don't have. before google voice it was costing me 8 bucks a call. He can call me with the prepaid on the new number for 2! that is 4 calls compared to 1! any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Google Voice isn't working anymore.

Mr. MAC is home with his sweetness!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:53 PM
~I Want a FooKiNg TiCkeR~
Donation Award 

Well sh*t... I wouldn't be surprised if they found out about our money-saving efforts on this forum. (Remember anyone can read these threads).

Its f*cked up. Bullsh*t really. Certainly there's something we can do? I say we GO ON STRIKE It'll kill us.. but at least make a point.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 PM
~I Want a FooKiNg TiCkeR~
Donation Award 

And these *ssholes in DOC WONDER why cell phones have become such a hot commodity in prison! UGgggHHhh! Sh*t like this infuriates me!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:17 AM

Yes, it does work. Local calls are cheaper than long distance calls.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:35 PM

Google Voice doesn't have the number I need for local calls.. What else is there? I've heard like Ear 2 Ear and Skype.. Is there any thing else?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykat7 View Post
Google Voice doesn't have the number I need for local calls.. What else is there? I've heard like Ear 2 Ear and Skype.. Is there any thing else?

I tried Google Voice myself and it doesn't have the number I need either ...good luck if I come across anything I will be sure to post it. If you do please pass it along as well..Thanks and good luck
Old 03-29-2011, 10:33 AM

Skype had the number I needed. But I decided not to do get it. My man was FINALLY given his release date and it's really soon! So I'm just going pay for normal calls until then.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:21 AM

Google assigns the physical location of your IP address to the voice number, which lets companies like Securus acknowledge the true address of the phone number, which is all they care about (they are liable for accuracy of information if the FBI or any court subpoenas them for information)
Old 03-31-2011, 08:23 AM

I got a Google Voice number and gave it to my honey but I'm worried it won't get appoved to be on his phone list, because his prison approves all the numbers. Has anyone had one approved?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:23 AM

can sumbod please email me this google voice info? ive yet to talk to m man...only have a cell phone....want to know the best route. hes in south woods
Old 03-31-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzcandies View Post
can sumbod please email me this google voice info? ive yet to talk to m man...only have a cell phone....want to know the best route. hes in south woods
Just a heads up about google voice. It ONLY works as a call forwarding service and you WILL get blocked if call forwarding is detected. It happened with me...literally the next day. I was with a call forwarding telephone company (Freedom Voice) and was having a local number forwarded to my cell number here and bam, I got blocked the next day. Don't do it. I got a call from a Securus rep who told me that they detected call forwarding...so I make sure to pass on to people not to do it. FYI>
Old 03-31-2011, 06:33 PM

i have had google voice for over 2 years. Still works for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to laelae For This Useful Post:
vtkaty13 (03-31-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 06:44 PM
lost without my love

I think it depends on the state and/or location. I've been using it for a few months now without a problem, but ai know of other people that it didn't work for at all. all I can say is it's free and worth a try. If it works, you save money on the calls. If it don't work, you can always look into getting a local number for your cell phone and save $$ that way. Some states don't allow calls to cell phones at all so then none of the above would probably work. Your state's forum would probably have more info on that.

The Following User Says Thank You to TLAn4ever For This Useful Post:
vtkaty13 (03-31-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelinthesky View Post
Just a heads up about google voice. It ONLY works as a call forwarding service and you WILL get blocked if call forwarding is detected. It happened with me...literally the next day. I was with a call forwarding telephone company (Freedom Voice) and was having a local number forwarded to my cell number here and bam, I got blocked the next day. Don't do it. I got a call from a Securus rep who told me that they detected call forwarding...so I make sure to pass on to people not to do it. FYI>

thank you for the info....how am i suppossed to talk to him. comcast dont accept collect calls! grrrr
Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 PM
journey started 3-28-11

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH FOR THIS INFO!!!

My baby is in Georgia, Monroe Co Jail which only uses Paytel for collect calls. Since my cell phone # is long distance, a 15 min call was $10.35. I just set up my Google Voice account and picked out a local area code and then created my Paytel account. My rate quote is the local $2.70 flat fee for 15 minutes. Once we try it I will re-post with an update. Please hope it works for us!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 PM

Ugh.I tried google voice and got approved by the prison, but then the phone call wouldn't go through.

"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere." - Frank A. Clark
Old 04-07-2011, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzcandies View Post
thank you for the info....how am i suppossed to talk to him. comcast dont accept collect calls! grrrr
If you set up a prepaid account through Securus (or whoever it is that maintains the phone lines at the facility), you will be able to accept a collect call this way. My mobile phone company won't let me accept calls either but I regularly take calls due to having a prepaid account.
The Following User Says Thank You to raquelinthesky For This Useful Post:
mrzcandies (04-09-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Banned

Default Google Voice

So i had a google number, and then my fiance got moved so i got a new number, his phone list is due this month.. Will he need a bill to add the new number, did any of u have those issues? If so how did you fix it?

I just wanna make sure he can keep my old number, and ad the new local number, thanks everyone!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Banned

anyone?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:30 PM

Default GOOGLE phone system for federal prisoners

Hi Does anyone know how to set up a google phone account to talk to your loved one in prison. My Boyfriend is telling me to set this up but I am not sure how it works. He said I can get a local number to where he is and then it will save us alot of money. I tried to look into it but I am not understanding how to do it. Any help on this would be appreciated!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:29 PM

Question Google Voice

Hey Guys! I got tired of searching through the forums to see if this has already been covered so I decided to make a new thread. My apologies if there is one already. Anyway, for those of us that have used google voice, you probably had problems starting back in the beginning of february like I had. As a result, I switched to skype but that is more of a headache than a solution. So my question is, does anyone know if its safe to start back using google voice again? I am really fed up with skype so if google voice isn't working then i guess its time to get a prepaid cell phone because I am not going to pay $3-$4 for a 10 min call. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:19 AM

Default How do I set up a google voice account?

how do i set up a google voice account