Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New York Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the New York Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:52 AM

Default Is anyones's loved one in work release? if so, how did he get it?

Is anyones's loved one in work release? if so, how did he get it?
My son seems to think it's easy to get as long as you earn all your merit points and complete your programs; he is serving a 1-3 and a 3flat (concurrently) he thinks he will be out on work release after finishing a year and completeting his programs-- i hate to see him let down-- he thinks hes getting it beacause he is a first time felon and 22 years old,
any advice??????????
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Not active-find *********

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,379 Times in 3,006 Posts
Default was the crime he is in for a violent

felony-most on violents are not eligible for work release-the 3 flat would seem to indicate one of the charges he's in on is violent

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 09-17-2006, 10:16 AM

the three flat is a drug charge............???????
Old 09-17-2006, 10:30 AM

My fiance was convicted of a violent crime and is doing 3 1/2 yrs but also seems to think that he will be eligable for work release based on the information he's been receiving inside and from his caseworker. He is also a firt time offender and there was absolutely no violence commmited (which can make him eligable for a VFO), however, he and I both know not to trust anything you hear until it happpens. There is so much misguided information on the inside, especially when it comes from other inmates. But I will keep you posted on our progress and let you know if I hear about other programs apart from work release. I guess it really depends on the facility he's at too. I know that med and max facilities don't have half the programs of a min facility, epseciallly if you want to do something academic and don't need rehabilitation per se. I'm angry that gov. pataki has pullled most of the academic programs in prisons because it makes no sense if the rehabilitation process (as they call it, and we know it ain't) doesn't include learning. Especially for offenders who have short sentences and can truly come back to their families and societies a better and stronger person cos it's not all about the time, but how you do it. Anyways, I could go on and on about that so I'll stop here, but I just want to say that even if your son has his hopes up (as does my man), I think it's a hope that will help pass the time easier at present and it's not such a bad thing. He might get disappointed later, but hopefully by then he is doing something inside already that will help him deal with it. I too have my hopes up that he will be out early and until we know for sure, I'm staying optimistic and putting it out to the universe that he should be home again!
Old 09-17-2006, 10:44 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Default if it is a violent conviction without violence

(ie burglary) he is a good candidate for a VFO and thereby work release. If the crime did involve violence, he can still apply for a VFO-but the odds are much less he will get one. My son is in the latter circumstance so I am speaking from doing a lot of research.

"Pay it forward."
Old 09-17-2006, 10:45 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Default if they are all no violence crimes

and he is a first timer he is a likely candidate for work release if he stays on the straight and narrow inside.

"Pay it forward."
Old 09-24-2006, 07:05 AM

My son received three flat and there is no violence involved. The three flat is to keep them in prison for a longer time than if it is, say 1 1/2 to 3. My son was convicted of attempted criminal sale of a controlled substance and got three years.

As for work release, I believe it works the way your son suggests, but he has to be accepted into it. Another alternative which offers early release even with three flat is Shock Incarceration. It is best if the judge recommends it since it is the DOC that makes the final decision. Shock is much harder and is similiar to a military boot camp.

I hope this helps.

Patty