Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:19 AM

Cool How may days a week/times per day should calls be accepted?

I am completely new to this entire system and I am having the hardest time adjusting. Long Story short we were together before he got locked up and he got locked up while I was away at training back in March. We lost contact because he was being moved around so much and my phone calls were limited. Finally Aug 7, 2012 we got back in contact and its like we didnt miss a beat. However I feel that its harder now to deal with my emotions and feeling because I talk to him everyday at least 3times.

Last night I lost it, I broke down on the phone and expressed how I was feeling, and he said he understood and its ok to feel like that b/c he feels the same way. I love talking to him everyday and I have grown used to it now since thats all we can do. However the more I talk to him the harder it gets for me to keep it together. My question is what is an ideal plan for phone calls? How many days a week and how many times in a day?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2012, 09:25 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 36,139 Times in 16,654 Posts

Only as many as you can comfortably afford. My Mr and I set up calls for one every two weeks....its all I can afford. And its ok. He understands that I have responsibilites out here. What we lack in calls, we make up for in the number of letters

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
billysbutton (09-28-2012), Lady Woody (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 09:42 AM

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

i think its different for everyone. Phone calls are pretty expensive, so even though I would love to talk to my boyfriend 3 times a day, I can't really afford to. Plus he calls his father once a day usually. Right now, he's only been gone for about a month and a half and I haven't been able to go visit him yet so he calls me once a day, every afternoon. But we agreed that once I am able to visit him, I'll be going probably about two times a week, so we will cut the calls down to probably 3 times a week, and whenever he just feels like calling and hearing my voice.
I'm curious to hear others schedules though.

The Following User Says Thank You to IfIAintGotU For This Useful Post:
Lady Woody (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 10:51 AM

His old roommates let me talk to him on their phone and they pay for it. They were once inside too and think we're such a sweet couple and they say good for him do are willing to do whatever to help us stay in communication.... He calls in the afternoon and in the evening and he calls back as long as no one else is wanting to use the phone....so we usually talk 4-6 times a day....I don't even wanna know what their phone bill looks like and they tell me to stop worrying about it....I feel very fortunate but I am trying to get a landline of my own cuz I feel bad and I know that will change things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HisNDNgirl For This Useful Post:
Lady Woody (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Banned

My fiance´s calls always make me so happy, wish we could have phone calls every day but he's in federal so we only get 300 minutes a month and he can only call 15 minutes at a time. I don't think there's an idea call plan, it depends on what you like, how much time you have and what the prison allows!
HisNDNGirl, the prison where your guy's at, do they allow unlimited phonecalls? So jealous!
Old 09-11-2012, 05:33 PM

Mallafri his in a detention centre awaiting sentencing and although it cuts out at 20 min he can call back if no one else wants the phone. Sadly very few on his range have anyone to call, I think that would be so sad.
The Following User Says Thank You to HisNDNgirl For This Useful Post:
Lady Woody (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 05:41 PM

Thanked 1,866 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Woody View Post
I am completely new to this entire system and I am having the hardest time adjusting. Long Story short we were together before he got locked up and he got locked up while I was away at training back in March. We lost contact because he was being moved around so much and my phone calls were limited. Finally Aug 7, 2012 we got back in contact and its like we didnt miss a beat. However I feel that its harder now to deal with my emotions and feeling because I talk to him everyday at least 3times.

Last night I lost it, I broke down on the phone and expressed how I was feeling, and he said he understood and its ok to feel like that b/c he feels the same way. I love talking to him everyday and I have grown used to it now since thats all we can do. However the more I talk to him the harder it gets for me to keep it together. My question is what is an ideal plan for phone calls? How many days a week and how many times in a day?

If that is your only way to communicate, I would say as often and as much as you can afford.

Peace~
dalesgirl (09-27-2012), Lady Woody (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 06:07 PM

Thanked 11,104 Times in 6,007 Posts

Others more or less nailed it: if they are not capped on minutes per month, then the calls should be more numerous than you can afford. If they ARE capped on the minutes, then you want to space them out through the month but still be mindful of costs...

As the other posters indicated, they aren't cheap (although some of the providers are not outrageously priced either, but it still adds up across a month). But what is beyond the scope for some is a drop in the bucket for others, so it all depends on how much surplus you have in your checkbook to deal with phone calls.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Lady Woody (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 06:22 PM

Default yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallafri View Post
My fiance´s calls always make me so happy, wish we could have phone calls every day but he's in federal so we only get 300 minutes a month and he can only call 15 minutes at a time. I don't think there's an idea call plan, it depends on what you like, how much time you have and what the prison allows!
HisNDNGirl, the prison where your guy's at, do they allow unlimited phonecalls? So jealous!
Well right now he is in county waiting to go to the feds. It's 20 minute calls and if nobody else needs to use it we can keep using it till 4am.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:04 PM

Mines in city jail and its 1.00 per call, but he normally calls me 3-4 times a day. So if u can afford it, accept as many as possible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLSC For This Useful Post:
KirstenTaylorC (09-18-2012), Lady Woody (09-16-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Donation Award 

We talk on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. That's the official schedule anyway! Those 4 calls a week and my landline come to $150 a month. That's what's in my budget for phone calls. If we talk more, then it means less on his books.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:31 AM

I talk to mine about 3days out the week maybe 2-3 times a day. He figured out a way to get me a local number, so I have a local rate vs. a long distance rate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs.Richards For This Useful Post:
Lady Woody (09-16-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Woody View Post
Well right now he is in county waiting to go to the feds. It's 20 minute calls and if nobody else needs to use it we can keep using it till 4am.
If he's going to federal, I'd say try not to get used to calls every day because you will only have 300 minutes a month in federal and believe me, it's not nearly enough! But it is what it is and somehow you just learn to deal with it!
Congratulations on your reunion, so great that you could just pick up where you left off!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:08 AM

My fiance and I talk upwards of three times a day for fifteen minutes each time. Sometimes more sometimes less. It all depends what we have going on.
The Following User Says Thank You to JonesysGirl For This Useful Post:
Lady Woody (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Missing Him

My boyfriend and I agreed on talking to each other every other day. If not every 3 days. It's okay with me. I'm just glad that I even get to talk to him. He knows that right now I'm financially unstable but when the money is right again then there will be more phone calls.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:13 PM

I believe you should base your calls on what you can afford AND what you're willing to spend. I could afford around 5 calls a day ($10 worth). I don't have children, and don't have many bills, and have moved in with my mother since he got locked up so while still working and going to school, I have quite a bit of money. Still, I can't justify spending $10 on calls every day, even if I can easily afford it. We do about 2 calls a day, sometimes 3.
The Following User Says Thank You to kc005 For This Useful Post:
Lady Woody (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 03:26 PM

that's totally normal and since you didn't talk for a while it's all coming to the surface and you're starting to deal. We wrote a lot because the phone calls were so expensive, now he's in a state facility they are 4.8 cents/per minute. We talk 3x a day sometimes for 1 minute, sometimes the entire 30. It depends on our moods and what's going on. Some days you simply don't have a lot to say!
Old 09-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Stalking the mailman.....

J and I talk 2-4 times a week.
It depends on how much I can put on the phone and my schedule.
I do make sure that certain weeks/days I put alittle more on the phone, so we can talk up to 4 times a day.(His birthday week, my birthday week, my daughter's birthday week, Christmas, etc.)
Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Donation Award 

We usually talk about three times a week, as its 4.80 a call and right now I am just a student. I start a new job in October and then I am going to try to have him call 5 days a week because I can only see him on weekends. We write a lot and starting in October, we will get to email. It really comes down to what you can afford, like most people have said.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 PM
California Dreaming

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 1,476 Times in 751 Posts

right now our calls are $50 a month which is very cheap. we generally talk once a day sunday night through thursday night. I have my weekends to myself. we also have letters so for now it works for us.

there may come a time when we cant have calls but until then this is our ritual.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:22 AM

Do what works best for you, that you can afford.... I would caution you to not accept more calls than you can comfortably pay for, because if you get the phone shut off it can be a hefty deposit to get it turned back on ...
Old 09-28-2012, 10:26 AM

Thanked 3,310 Times in 1,684 Posts

I have to go with what you can afford also. If my hubby had calls, he would call any time that he could. I was not on a budget, so that was fine. You have to determine what you can afford and then, go from there. If you want every other day or however you want to do it.