Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:38 PM

I also have a Android phone, and a Google # I tried it, but it didn't last long :'( tnetix (securus) detected the # as a third party call and blocked him from calling me on that #. It really helped cuz he's in Md and i live in nyc. Since then I jus called up my phone company and changed my # to a Md # since I'm planning to relocate anyway. I hope it wrks out and they don't block the # for you.

Sent from my Sprint EVO 3D
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2012, 04:58 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 36,131 Times in 16,650 Posts

I'm not familair with New York, but that type of set-up is against DOC policy in many states and can result in your calls being blocked.

Because your post is concerning phones, I have moved the thread to the General Prison Talk sub-forum for phone (mail and visit) issues.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
MiniMoose (05-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 05:24 PM

Default Google Voice

My boyfriend is in a federal prison and a few states away so some inmates told him to tell me to set up google voice so our phone calls would be cheaper so I did and the prison accepted the number and everythink, but he says when he calls its just a busy signal. Does anyone know why this is or what I can do about it?
Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 PM

Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,951 Times in 3,184 Posts

Please be aware that it is against Federal BOP and many state DOC rules for an inmate to use “third party” services that try to reduce prison call costs like GoogleVoice, ConsCallHome, or PrisonCallSolutions (and many others). Those services forward calls to another line, and call forwarding is not allowed. If you have GoogleVoice or one of these other services and your loved one is calling you, you are breaking those BOP or DOC rules. When the BOP or DOC finds out (and they will eventually), you will lose visitation and phone privileges. Google Voice forwards calls to a different line. Facilities have the technology to detect forwarded calls. When the facility detects a forwarded call (and it could be tomorrow or years from now), there are consequences. One of those consequences is disallowing the inmate to call the number that was forwarded and the person who owns the forwarded-to phone could be taken off the inmate’s visitors list. I know the calls are expensive, but we have to follow their rules. I'm sorry.

Since call forwarding is not allowed by the facilities, discussing "how to" get those services borders on illegal activities which is against PTO policy cited below.

Please be sure to check with the facility first! It's better to be safe than sorry!

Sincerely,
Renee
Site Moderator

Illegal Activities:
Threads/replies encouraging illegal/unethical action (like “The best way to kill the neighbor’s dog” or "Have you had sex during a visit?"), or more importantly, anything relating to compromising the security of prisons and institutions (ETC) will not be allowed. Posts such as these will be deleted and may lead to you losing your posting privileges. This policy extends to profiles, avatars, etc., as well. PTO's policy on illegal activities also extends to references of gang activity, as gang activity is illegal (and especially in the prison systems). If you are affiliated with a gang and have a loved one in prison, you are certainly still welcome at PTO, but no reference to such affiliations in posts, profile, avatar, etc. is allowed.

[/color][/size][/center]