Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Carolina Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the South Carolina Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Donation Award 

Default Allendale mail problem - Outgoing mail held for 1 week

In case anyone was wondering, there was a problem with the mailroom at Allendale C.I. from August 10th, 2010 to August 17th 2010 and according to the Major's information, ALL outgoing inmate mail was stuck in the mailroom for the duration of that time....7-8 DAYS.

I receive letters from my brother almost daily. Each letter has the date the letter is written and the date it is "in the box" for posting. Usually it only takes 2-3 postal business days for the mail to arrive at my home in california. i realized something was wrong when i missed the first couple of letters, but at that point it was friday after C.I. "business hours."
I received 7 of his letters all postmarked August 17th. I received these letters this past Saturday, August 21st, along with one postmarked August 18th.

I was able to speak to Major Newton this morning. He said he would look into the issue for me and to call him back. I called him back and his assistant said that there was indeed an issue with the mailroom but that issue has since been "fixed." She said that ALL inmate mail was held up for that entire time.

I do appreciate Major Newton finding out for me. I still have no idea how mail can sit in a mailroom for a solid week with no resolution or why those letters couldn't be hand stamped or postmarked and sent to the post office versus waiting over a week.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlo View Post
In case anyone was wondering, there was a problem with the mailroom at Allendale C.I. from August 10th, 2010 to August 17th 2010 and according to the Major's information, ALL outgoing inmate mail was stuck in the mailroom for the duration of that time....7-8 DAYS.

I receive letters from my brother almost daily. Each letter has the date the letter is written and the date it is "in the box" for posting. Usually it only takes 2-3 postal business days for the mail to arrive at my home in california. i realized something was wrong when i missed the first couple of letters, but at that point it was friday after C.I. "business hours."
I received 7 of his letters all postmarked August 17th. I received these letters this past Saturday, August 21st, along with one postmarked August 18th.

I was able to speak to Major Newton this morning. He said he would look into the issue for me and to call him back. I called him back and his assistant said that there was indeed an issue with the mailroom but that issue has since been "fixed." She said that ALL inmate mail was held up for that entire time.

I do appreciate Major Newton finding out for me. I still have no idea how mail can sit in a mailroom for a solid week with no resolution or why those letters couldn't be hand stamped or postmarked and sent to the post office versus waiting over a week.
Thats crazy i got my mail everyday...we also send leters daily...i wonder what was really goin on...you said last week right?....mmm....Katie
Old 08-24-2010, 04:46 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebug View Post
Thats crazy i got my mail everyday...we also send leters daily...i wonder what was really goin on...you said last week right?....mmm....Katie
are you serious? you got your mail from allendale every day? very interesting. i'm not sure what was going on. i'll call back again this morning and find out. it was indeed last week that i didn't receive anything until saturday the 21st. the dates he turned the mail over to the mailroom pick up was aug 10th-17th. all the letters he sent had a postmark of august 17th.

did you receive anything the week prior?
The Following User Says Thank You to arlo For This Useful Post:
Katiebug (08-24-2010)
Old 08-24-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
are you serious? you got your mail from allendale every day? very interesting. i'm not sure what was going on. i'll call back again this morning and find out. it was indeed last week that i didn't receive anything until saturday the 21st. the dates he turned the mail over to the mailroom pick up was aug 10th-17th. all the letters he sent had a postmark of august 17th.

did you receive anything the week prior?
i get mail every day tues-sat not on mondays or sundays but every other day...i think they held his mail or somthin i would be trippin and get to the bottom of it expecially if it happenes again..like i said yes everyday i get and got mail but monday and sunday....
Old 08-24-2010, 08:00 PM
LOST AND ALONE

I got mail from Allendale just last week. I always get letters the day after he mails it. As a matter of fact I got a letter last Tues or Wed. I don't know what the problem is.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Michael's Fiancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmac12 View Post
I got mail from Allendale just last week. I always get letters the day after he mails it. As a matter of fact I got a letter last Tues or Wed. I don't know what the problem is.
I want mail from there.
Michael dont write me b/c he dont spell good.
But thats ok b/c at least I know hes getting mail. I mailed out a 12 page letter today. Sorry I love math and my math class is boring --going over basic stuff --so i have over an hr on tues and thurs to write plus at night when i cant study bc kids are still up lol. Sending prayers ya'lls way, nikki

The Following User Says Thank You to Missingmyman76 For This Useful Post:
jacmac12 (08-25-2010)
Old 08-25-2010, 06:42 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacmac12 View Post
so i just spoke with mrs sanders at allendale. this is what she told me and i was typing as fast as she was telling me:

"we were converting to a new computer system that affects all financial transactions...anything involving money. When loading postage machines with money electronically via telephone line, due to conversion there was a glitch and it would not load. The postage machine was almost was out of postage. So they reserved the postage that they had for legal mail because that has to go out first. So mail was held for about a week. Each day they thought it would be fixed, but it wasn't, so mail couldn't be sent out. So after a week, tues of last week problem was resolved."

I told her that a couple of people i had contacted who had loved ones in Allendale received their mail each day as usual. When i told her that, she asked for those names so she could check why. i said i would not tell her those names because i didn't want them to have any issues later.

anyway, she tried to see why some would be able to send outgoing mail and some would not is that inmates in general population can buy pre-embossed stamped envelopes. This would make sense as to why you guys were able to get your mail...IF this is the case, because the postage was already paid when the envelope was purchased. Now katiebear and jacmac12, on the envelopes of the letters you received, was they postmarked with the red metered postage printing or are there raised postage marks like regular pre-paid envelopes from the post office?

Either way, i let them know it was absolutely unacceptable for the institution to withhold any inmate mail for 7 days straight and that a redundant plan needs to be in place to prevent this from happening again. she said they received a lot of calls from concerned families and i personally think that there has to be some question of legality involving holding a person's mail for 7 days.

just wanted to let you guys know what i found out by calling this morning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arlo For This Useful Post:
jacmac12 (08-25-2010), Katiebug (08-25-2010)
Old 08-25-2010, 06:46 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingmyman76 View Post
I want mail from there.
Michael dont write me b/c he dont spell good.
But thats ok b/c at least I know hes getting mail. I mailed out a 12 page letter today. Sorry I love math and my math class is boring --going over basic stuff --so i have over an hr on tues and thurs to write plus at night when i cant study bc kids are still up lol. Sending prayers ya'lls way, nikki
hey nikki, have you encouraged michael to write anyway? i know my brother has helped other inmates learn to read and write while in there. he can't do that too much now because he's in lockup, but maybe someone is willing to do the same for your man? sometimes a lot of pride is involved when it comes to that sort of thing, but man, can you imagine how proud he'd be to be able to write you a letter while bettering his writing skills? and for what it's worth, i have friends who are nuclear engineers and are the worst spellers i've ever seen. hehe just encourage him....
good luck, sista.
The Following User Says Thank You to arlo For This Useful Post:
Missingmyman76 (08-25-2010)
Old 08-25-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
so i just spoke with mrs sanders at allendale. this is what she told me and i was typing as fast as she was telling me:

"we were converting to a new computer system that affects all financial transactions...anything involving money. When loading postage machines with money electronically via telephone line, due to conversion there was a glitch and it would not load. The postage machine was almost was out of postage. So they reserved the postage that they had for legal mail because that has to go out first. So mail was held for about a week. Each day they thought it would be fixed, but it wasn't, so mail couldn't be sent out. So after a week, tues of last week problem was resolved."

I told her that a couple of people i had contacted who had loved ones in Allendale received their mail each day as usual. When i told her that, she asked for those names so she could check why. i said i would not tell her those names because i didn't want them to have any issues later.

anyway, she tried to see why some would be able to send outgoing mail and some would not is that inmates in general population can buy pre-embossed stamped envelopes. This would make sense as to why you guys were able to get your mail...IF this is the case, because the postage was already paid when the envelope was purchased. Now katiebear and jacmac12, on the envelopes of the letters you received, was they postmarked with the red metered postage printing or are there raised postage marks like regular pre-paid envelopes from the post office?

Either way, i let them know it was absolutely unacceptable for the institution to withhold any inmate mail for 7 days straight and that a redundant plan needs to be in place to prevent this from happening again. she said they received a lot of calls from concerned families and i personally think that there has to be some question of legality involving holding a person's mail for 7 days.

just wanted to let you guys know what i found out by calling this morning.
Yes thank you that does make sence johns letters has the stamp on them allready and i want to THANK you for not giving out his name..lol .. that woulda been a mess.... i hope they got everything fixed and working again...Katie
Old 08-25-2010, 11:30 AM
LOST AND ALONE

arlo, yea it is a pre-paid envelope. I see what your saying. In any case, these institutions will give you the run around. They don't make it easy at all, even for the simplest things. Nikki, you are not alone. My hubby does'nt write either. He only wrote cause there wasn't any money on the phone and he couldn't talk to me to find out what is going on. He's not that good at spelling either. But he can put a letter together very well when he needs to. Lol
Missingmyman76 (08-25-2010)
Old 08-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Michael's Fiancee

Quote:
hey nikki, have you encouraged michael to write anyway? i know my brother has helped other inmates learn to read and write while in there. he can't do that too much now because he's in lockup, but maybe someone is willing to do the same for your man? sometimes a lot of pride is involved when it comes to that sort of thing, but man, can you imagine how proud he'd be to be able to write you a letter while bettering his writing skills? and for what it's worth, i have friends who are nuclear engineers and are the worst spellers i've ever seen. hehe just encourage him....
good luck, sista.
Arlo that boy aint going to write-- he.. he fusses at me for writing as much as i do but i know he loves when he gets them. He said he doesnt have much room to store them in so i told him to throw them away after he reads them and thats what he said he would do. So he said something like a week later and i said i told u to throw them away and he said they mean to much to him. AWWWW!!!! He wrote why he was at kirkland bc he couldnt call every day but since he knows he can call every day or pretty much every day he said he dont need to write. I told him he could have at least sent me a quick i love u happy birthday for my bday. He said how am i suppose to buy something? I said they sell cards. He said well i dont want to buy u nothing that will remind u of here. ( Actually I did get a card from prison for my bday but it was an ex bf that sent it-- aint that whack!!!!-- of course michael dont know i correspond with him-- hey its a penpal thing nothing more I plan on marrying michael when he gets out and i have my divorce. ) I love that man. He asked me the other day if i had found me a man at school yet and i said no and he said r u looking-- i said no again. I said do u think if i was looking i would still be taking these expensive a.. phone calls and sending u money out of my lil bitty unemployment--HE.. NO!!!!! But sorry got off the subject. Yes I wish he would write but there is no reason to say that again to him bc he said its good enough that we can talk on the phone. Just ready for Oct so I can see him- aint see him since end of May.
Arlo did your bro just get sent to lockup? B/c i know this guy michael knows just got sent like yesterday or so, Nikki