Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Parole, Probation, Halfway Houses, Employment, etc.
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Parole, Probation, Halfway Houses, Employment, etc. All information & questions relating to parole, probation, community service, half-way houses, and ex-offender employment in Michigan should be posted here.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Closed

Default General question on parole timeline

how long before the ERD can we expect to see the start of the parole board type stuff. We have a bit to go yet ( 1.5 years ) but he is wondering about the general timeline. He has to take the AOP class so we are reserved about being too hopeful considering the length of the class, the backlog of inmates waiting and that he is a 'short timer'.

thanks!

S~
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2009, 07:00 AM

Please understand that each facility may be different on time depending how back log they may be. His compass test will be 8-9 months before his ERD date. This will evaluate him on what needs he may have for a parole release. Then his PER (Prisoner Evaluation Report) this is just what is sounds like. The counselor will evaluate what he has done for education, classes, certifications, prison behavior, home placement, required programming and employment opportunities. This is the time that you should be sending to the parole board a parole packet with support letters from friends, family, and community and any job prospects. He should also be working on his relapse presentation plan to submit with the packet. He will receive a letter of notice 30 days before his hearing. This will state his date and time for his hearing. He is allowed one representative either family, friend or parole counselor. This needs to be determined when he receives his 30 day notice because the counselor will ask.
I hope this helps.

I would rather wait a lifetime then to settle for something less!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Closed

Hi Annette050305. That is exactly what I am looking for! Will we have notice that his PER is being done or do we just wait until the compass test is done?
You mentioned a parole counselor could be at his hearing. Is that a MDOC staff member or someone we would hire ourselves?
Thanks for all your help! I want to make sure I am prepared for the process.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Closed

My guy is getting very frustrated and is becoming negative about his ERD and the parole boards. He has been in about 3 months on a 2-15 sentence and has been told so much stuff from the other guys about it. he has been told that NO-ONE gets out on their ERD and NO ONE gets parole on their first try. He is starting to expect a flop already and his attitude is getting poopy. I want to stay positive but want to be realistic as well. Is what he is hearing true and should I be getting my mind set on a flop no matter what?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:37 PM

Some guys get out on their ERD. Many do not. I might even say most do not but I don't know the true statistics. That does not mean not to try to get out on the ERD!

He will know when his PER is being done. He may or may not get his 30 day notice for the parole board, they sometimes ask the guys to waive it and most guys will because it means they see the board sooner. My husband did not have a full 30 day notice but we had a general idea it was coming so that was enough.

You asked about a parole counselor. It would be someone you hire. To be very honest with you, I've never heard of anyone hiring someone with a good outcome. It is often times better if a cloe friend or family member is there because they can say the changes they've seen and discuss what they can do to be helpful upon the person's release. A hired person is not going to be there to offer a ride to see the PO or emotional support or anything else after release. It seems the parole board likes to see family support. JMO
Old 08-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Closed

Smile

Hi Mabear..
Thanks for the reply! I am sorry for the basic questions..but what is a PER?
I had thought the same thing about hiring a parole counselor. It seems impersonal and you are right..will that hired person be there day in and day out?
He has asked me to be his advocate but I wanted to make sure that I was the best person for the job. We have been through a lot and his family is super supportive of our relationship and his being paroled my house. He is incarcerated for a vehicle accident and came to live with me directly after the accident to heal physically and emotionally.
I know we are about a year away from the begining of the parole process but I want to learn as much as I can about Compas and PER and the whole thing to make sure we are doing all that can be done..any advice that you or anyone else can give helps me so much! Personal stories about the process are super helpful as well!
Thanks to all!
Old 08-03-2009, 06:44 PM
miles to go b4 I sleep
Donation Award 

PER is the Parole Eligibility Report. This will show what classes he has taken, if he's working anywhere, any major/minor tickets that he's had and such. It will also identify who he wants to parole to and their relationship to him. It is not typically done in a timely fashion so he needs to be prepared to take documentation to the hearing that shows what he has done since the PER was done. He got in the habit of sending me all his paperwork and if we felt he should have a copy then I made one and sent it back to him. I was his representative at the hearing and took all the paperwork, as well did he.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Closed

Red face

Does the PER happen after the COMPAS thing? How close to his first parole hearing can we expect to start seeing paperwork? It does sound like a good idea for me to have copies of his stuff just in case.
Sorry for all the Q's..this is all new to me and he has asked me to find out as much as I can. I wish there was some sort of class or seminar or litrature on the parole process I could learn from !!!