Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Poetry
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Poetry Share your original poems here.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Banned

Default Writing Poetry Made Easy - Secrets Revealed - Start Writing

I will tell you my secret to writing poetry. It's about counting... syllables.

StarWash is an 8-6 poem.

We-can-not-see-the-stars-at-night, (8 syllables)
The-Yard's-too-bright-ly-lit. (6 syllables)
We-gaze-up-through-the-blin-ding-glare, (8 syllables)
The-stars-washed-out-by-it. (6 syllables)

The second and fourth lines rhyme. If you look at the rest of the poem it is the same... 8-6-8-6 with the second and fourth lines rhyming.

The first line can have as many syllables as you want, so don't even count when you write it or the second... let them be whatever you think sounds good... then make sure the last word in the second line is a word that is easy to find a rhyme for... for example, don't try to rhyme the word 'orange' because there IS no rhyme for it.

I had many options for the last word of the fourth line since I was trying to rhyme with 'it' at the end of the second line...

bit, fit, flit, git, grit, hit, kit, lit, mitt, nit, pit, quit, writ, sit spit, slit, wit... and a couple more we won't mention in mixed company...

Once you have the syllable count down with the first two lines - then it's a matter of fitting what you want to say into the choice of rhyming words.

Then do the same thing with the next verse... you can use the same rhyme all the way through, or -as in StarWash - a new rhyme with each verse.

If you get stuck trying to get the syllable count right, you can always add words like 'So, Now, And, But, etc. to the beginning of a line get one more word in.

You will be amazed how easy it is. Give it a try. When you are feeling the strong emotions of missing your guy, writing poetry will help.

Writing poetry helped me get through prison... when I would get really down I would write something like "Guess What, Mom?" that was in my post "The Jailhouse Poet"... then pasted it (Using 'Prison Glue' - toothpaste) on the bathroom wall (only place with good light...lol). Many guys copied it and sent it to their Moms. It had further benefits when they would come to me and tell me I made their Mama cry.

There are many variations on this theme that I can share later if you catch on and start writing. It's really easy once you start. A rhyming dictionary (about $6.00) will help a lot.

Have fun and be well. If you need help, Holler... (We don't 'Holla' in the South... We Holler!")

Feel free to share these tricks with any other budding bards.

Dave - The Jailhouse Poet
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Banned

I think the best poems don't rhyme at all, but a lot of people will disagree with me on this, I know. I like the image in your poem of the stars washed out by light. Good visual. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-12-2007, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the tips i appreciate it maybe it will help me. lol As of right now i couldn't write a poem to save my life. LOL I love your poems keep up the good work!!!!