Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > PRISON PEN PALS > Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk General talk about prison pen-pals. Please do not place ads in this forum!

Old 12-29-2005, 08:55 AM
Account Closed

Default Writing penpals with little education/writing skills

I have done several favors such as copied photos or sent cards to my pals' cellies and gotten the most sincere, touching letters riddled with mistakes and errors and poor grammar yet I could determine the gist of the message. One said people rarely wrote her back because they had trouble understanding her (I think Spanish is her first language and would like to find someone to correspond in Spanish with her). These letters break my heart and I want to encourage patient people to consider taking on penpals who have little education and poor writing skills. I have had one and he has greatly improved in the year we've been writing due to GED classes. He was even student of the semester! I try to send him study sheets and tend to word my letters a lot more simply than to my other pals.

PM me if you'd like to try a pal like this and I have a couple I could refer right away and a few more I could ask my pals to refer.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2005, 09:05 AM

I have also received thank you notes that have been hard to understand and read. I usually can make them out though. I think it's sad, you would think that someone throughtout their lives would have helped them. My pal is mexican and sometimes he writes like he talks, with an accent and I sometimes have to read it a couple times before I get it! But it's all good! I think it's kinda cute...I'm reading with an accent!
I wish I could take on more pals and help them out, but I can't, but do hope someone comes along that can!
Old 12-29-2005, 08:48 PM
im a good girl i am

i have one pal that i've been writing to a little more than a year.......he was incarcerated when he was 15...........his sentences run together and he hypenates nothing right////////ok and i know i don't capatilize..........but..............nothing is a capital in his letters........when i write 'for real' my grammar and puncuation is as good a word will let it be???? haha.................but yah i do feel for those who have very little skills in communications.............

~~~"Our virtues are most frequently but our vices in disguise."~~~~
François duc de La Rochefoucauld
Old 12-30-2005, 08:05 AM

My pal told me in his last letter that he ordered a dictionary from the canteen so he could understand some of the words I use...I thought that was cute, but maybe it was a clue that I should tone down my diction?
Old 12-30-2005, 04:55 PM

Voyager,
That was sweet of your pal to do that, I don't think it was used as a hint to you, however, if I were you I would use smaller words, not that I mean anything wrong with that, but you know what I mean right?

Rebeca

Old 12-31-2005, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme1526
Voyager,
That was sweet of your pal to do that, I don't think it was used as a hint to you, however, if I were you I would use smaller words, not that I mean anything wrong with that, but you know what I mean right?

Rebeca
Well, I got a letter from him today and he was saying that he loves to learn, that he likes learning from my letters, and that he is just reading the dictionary, so maybe I should use more complex words...hehe.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Courtside PhireFly

I had a pen pal who was a little less-educated. I told him that if there was ever a word he didn't understand, or was uncertain of, for him to write it down, and I'd send him the definition. I bought a vocabulary book actually at one point for high school level, with tear-out pages. I'd mail him his "assignment" each week and he'd mail it back. In his letter, he'd also try to use at least four of the maybe 20 words on the worksheet.