Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OHIO > Ohio Prison & Legal News, Info & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ohio Prison & Legal News, Info & Events Place news, info and events relating to the prison, criminal justice and legal system in the State of Ohio in this forum.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:40 AM
waiting for my heart

Default Email in Ohio Prisons

COMING IN FEBRUARY - MORE INFORMATION WILL BE POSTED SOON

In February, the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction will begin using an innovative electronic mail system to allow family and friends to use modern day email applications to correspond with their incarcerated loved one. To be clear, this program will NOT provide inmates with direct email access. Rather, it will allow those who wish to correspond with an inmate to enter into a subscription through a third-party website, at a cost substantially less than the postal service, and that company will serve as the vehicle to manage emails between inmates and their loved ones. More information on the program will be posted in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 10:29 AM

Thanked 2,808 Times in 848 Posts

Wow~
This is exciting! When this happens my son will hear from a lot more of his friends. He is very lucky as it is b/c he has some very loyal friends who still know how to put pen to paper. But I have many more who send me e-mails asking about him, now I'll be able to tell them how to write him! I can't wait to hear more about this.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:34 PM

How wonderfuk!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:43 PM

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...R.html?sid=101
Inmates to get e-mail, but no Web access
E-mail is coming to Ohio prisons.
Beginning Feb. 23, family and friends of inmates at Madison Correctional Institution in London will be able to buy an online "package" that will allow them to send from three to 60 e-mail messages each month. Inmates will be able to send the same number of responses.
Kenya874 (02-05-2010), MaggyB (01-26-2010), mrsrimoldi (01-27-2010), Verytiredmom (01-24-2010)
Old 02-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Donation Award 

Red face

Ohhh.. I am so excited!! yeah!!! I hope Mansfield gets it soon!! Thanks for the FYI~~

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift that is why its called "The Present."
Old 02-05-2010, 05:35 PM

How do you get signed up for it?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:39 PM

I was excited until I found out that he can only send one side of a sheet of paper. I haven't found out how long email I can send him. I will buy a few for emergency contact with him, but we will continue writing unless he can squeeze his news on the one sheet of paper. It will be great for friends and family who wouldn't write a letter, but will do a quick little email. I found another article that said eventually the inmates will key their email, but it is controlled so they can't be on the web of course. I can't figure out how they could supply enough keyboards so that it won't lead to fights over keyboards.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:35 AM

Curious can they email lawmakers and the CIIC?
Old 02-07-2010, 05:29 AM
Laurel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopster View Post
No, they can only email people that have emailed them. They can't send correspondence to anyone that hasn't sent it to them.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:07 AM

im so exited to I heard they are comming up with that at Lake Erie too is that true?
My Baby is over there and i am in Germany so i guess its way easier to send emails... can somebody tell me where i have to sign up for that????

Thank you so much ladies =)
Old 02-07-2010, 01:12 PM

New System To Allow Ohio Inmates To Get E-Mail

Associated Press
Published: January 23, 2010

COLUMBUS, Ohio —Ohio prisons are setting up a system to allow inmates to view e-mail messages from friends and family.

State prisons officials say the e-mail system will dramatically reduce the 14.7 million pieces of mail flowing in and out of the prisons and may save money.

The system will debut Feb. 23 at the Madison Correctional Institution in London, expanding to all 31 state prisons a month later.

Inmates will not have Internet access. Friend and family members will register online with a private contractor and pay a fee ranging from $1 to $12 per month. Their e-mails will be printed at prisons and delivered to the inmate, who can make a handwritten response that will be scanned and sent electronically by prison staff.

Ohio would be the 13th state to use the e-mail system.
The Following User Says Thank You to smartchante For This Useful Post:
DOUBLER2 (02-14-2010)
Old 02-07-2010, 04:08 PM

Default Email system

Thats great BUT,,,,,,I say but again,,,,,,,BUT I really love my 4 page letters. That's a total of 8 pages. He writes on both sides. I can sit with a cup of tea and leisurely look over my mail and he draws little pictures on it. I want my baby's handwriting, not some nondescript little smiling face that is electronically generated. I will keep writing to my baby and he to me until the system makes EVERYONE go electronic. Just my personal opinion.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopster View Post
I believe it is only who subscribe on the outside.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:58 AM
Laurel

It will be in EVERY prison... so yes, Lake Erie is no exception. It is going to be in every prison by March 23rd.
As far as it not being personal, it is a scan of a handwritten letter, so there will be the little drawings and such on there.
I know it won't be 8 pages long, but it also won't take days to get to them either... usually less than a day. To some of us with VERY little time in the day, this can make a difference between sending a quick email or not being able to write at all for days.
I have a newborn baby, an 8 year old adopted special needs child and a full-time job (about 50 hours a week). Obviously, there isn't a lot of time in the day to sit and write a letter. So... I am THRILLED by this!

Old 02-08-2010, 04:59 AM
Laurel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsbabygirl View Post
How do you get signed up for it?
You have to wait until they get it and then you go to jpay.com and enter your inmate's number. They will search, find him and it will guide you from there.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:36 AM

Thanked 2,808 Times in 848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurel2372 View Post
You have to wait until they get it and then you go to jpay.com and enter your inmate's number. They will search, find him and it will guide you from there.
I thought I read it was through IPay not JPay.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 AM

Im so exited usually i have to wait a whole week for his mail this will not only save time for me its saves a lot of money I live in Germany and every letter to thhe states is about $3 not includet the photos =( so i think this will help us a LOT !!! february 23th ... im just so exited ... but i must agree i love my handwritten mail too =(
Old 02-13-2010, 06:02 PM

Is no one concerned that this is just handing officials electronic copies of all communication in and out that you have with an inmate? Even inmates have rights protected by US mail but I don't think these apply to electronic mail. Also, there is no guarantee that e-mails will be delivered in a timely manner, are there? Can someone clarify?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Laurel

I am not concerned at all about that.
First off, I would NEVER write anything that couldn't be copied. Second, you don't think they read or copy any mail that comes through the mail room??? I assure you, they are allowed to read the letters and inspect them. They can copy them if they choose to.

I am not worried what-so-ever. I am thankful!

The Following User Says Thank You to laurel2372 For This Useful Post:
kaylagurl40 (03-10-2010)
Old 02-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Laurel

Oh... and I think it is jpay but will look into this further!

Old 02-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Laurel

http://www.drc.ohio.gov/web/mail_package.htm

It is jpay, not ipay.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laurel2372 For This Useful Post:
MarlaInLasVegas (03-10-2010), mrsrimoldi (02-17-2010)
Old 02-14-2010, 10:26 AM

Default New email services!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartchante View Post
New System To Allow Ohio Inmates To Get E-Mail

Associated Press
Published: January 23, 2010

COLUMBUS, Ohio —Ohio prisons are setting up a system to allow inmates to view e-mail messages from friends and family.

State prisons officials say the e-mail system will dramatically reduce the 14.7 million pieces of mail flowing in and out of the prisons and may save money.

The system will debut Feb. 23 at the Madison Correctional Institution in London, expanding to all 31 state prisons a month later.

Inmates will not have Internet access. Friend and family members will register online with a private contractor and pay a fee ranging from $1 to $12 per month. Their e-mails will be printed at prisons and delivered to the inmate, who can make a handwritten response that will be scanned and sent electronically by prison staff.

Ohio would be the 13th state to use the e-mail system.

This is a great idea. However, I'm concerned along with Maggy B that they will be reviewing the email that we send. Yes, they are allowed to view the mail, and rightfully so, but only in the context of looking for contraband. They are legally allowed to read, scan or copy the mail if they have credible information that the security of the institution is at risk, and then they have to get written permission from the warden and a judge.

I like the idea but hate the fact that another phantom company will yet again be digging into our pockets for a service that isn't actually beneficial to the family's nor the inmate.

Okay, I can get a (1-4) page letter to my loved one faster but, on his end, he will still have to wait until someone prints it out and delivers it to him. On his end, he will still have to write a letter but tnow he's limited to one (1) page. Finally he will have to wait until it is picked up, scanned and emailed back. All of this is predicated upon the nice officer who really enjoys making sure that the inmate's mail gets out in a timely manner. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about, and attending to inmate mail is not on the top of the list when it comes to prison operations.

I think that they are headed in the right direction but, I also think that they should allow the inmates to get on the Internet with a system that only allows for them to email those on their approved visiting list. The inmate organizations can buy the computers and set them up in the recreation or library area, they can also pay for the ISP. There has to be a better way than what they're trying to set up. I already pay a fortune on the telephone cost, I don't need to pay another prison company (ODRC), ANOTHER DIME!

Last edited by DOUBLER2; 02-14-2010 at 10:32 AM..
Old 02-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Laurel

Well, if you read it thoroughly, they ARE going to set up kiosks so that the inmates can email direct without the scanning process.

Sure, it might take a little longer... however, there is one thing you have to consider. It will save the inmate money and stamps.

Plus, we are all being pretty negative about this considering it is working wonderfully in 12 states with very little complaint. It might work great and I just can't see being negative about something before you even try it.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Laurel

Besides... what are you all talking about that they can't read???? Sure, some of the stuff I write I might not WANT them to read because it is of a very personal nature... but none of it is illegal or would get him in trouble. I would never do that to him.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Banned

So the only way you can email them is thru Jpay?