Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,277 Times in 645 Posts
Default We have to unite!

To "inmate families"

Every day, something comes up- -no toleit paper, bad and dirty officers, officers to darn young, inmates being tortured, (basically) Second Chance Act, low pay scale for those to protect your love one, no programs of learning many trades for inmates anymore, (been cut to extreme few),
unit having even the warden being found dirty- -the list is endless.

We write on PTO of things that we do not understand, of things that are really wrong, of people not having jobs and they (tdc) wonders why a inmate ends up going back to crime, we keep asking and very rarely do we find the answers to all. We feel alone and helpless.

We MUST unite!! Power is in numbers, not ONE mom or wife/husband writing a congress person, or state representative, but a NUMBER of people writing, a NUMBER of people asking why, how, or when.

I "tried" to start FOUL- -
Families/Officers United League- -but found out I would loose my job if I did so. It doesn't mean someone else can't start this. If "we" had a name, a name that could be POWER, united so that we could actually HELP CHANGE some things in this screwed up system- -then and only then can we get ahead.

Every single one of you on this board knows tdc is so far behind on the times of change- -it will STAY that way unless the MANY seek the difference. One lady got friends and one congress man to have the "Jessica Law"- -look what happened to sex offenders. One man had a law change for the "three strikes law", he and some friends- -look what happened to several people that now serve life because of this.

WE NEED changes- -not saying prison should be like the Hilton or anything- -we MUST have prisons, not everyone is a "good ole boy" inside ya know- but I am saying Texas is just about twenty years behind themselves on this- -don't you think?

A lady wrote on the dog training post that she could make web sites, why can't we make FOUL to get the word out? A One person wrote about not being able to have contact visits with their partner, why can't this be changed? Artical of living basically in "haden" because of no a/c, have it changed!

There is TIFA- -Texas/Inmate Family Assc.,THEY have power! So why not families of inmates and officers- -yes, I would loose my job NOW- -but if changes are made, on down the road, it would be accepted. Years ago, did anyone talk about gays? Same thing, now it is a normal conversation (hey, nothing agaisnt gays, ok? just an example)

Unite people- -that is even how our country got started. How much more are YOU going to let happen and do nothing about?

Be safe.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smallngood For This Useful Post:
doc's honeee (05-28-2008), OaksLady (05-28-2008), WifejailedinAZ (05-28-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,542 Times in 1,745 Posts

You're right Small. The problem I've seen is that a lot of people want to complain but when it comes time to "address" the issue they get lazy or don't have the time to do. I, for one, have written my representatives on several things and have no qualms about doing so. I think it's a great idea if we can just get it started. I'll write all the letters and send all the emails I need to with a little direction on WHO to send them to. I'm all for this "movement" but I think a lot of people just don't know where to begin. I'll keep watching this thread and see where it leads. I will be glad to help in anyway I can.

I claim 2013 will be our best year thus far!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ReggiesLady For This Useful Post:
doc's honeee (05-28-2008), smallngood (05-28-2008), WifejailedinAZ (05-28-2008)
Old 05-28-2008, 09:01 AM
AZ Husband of a TX inmate

Small,

Thank you for that post, I agree with what you are saying. I posted the No Toilet Paper post last night, I was furious. I have always been a strong proponent of Community Action. By the People for the People right?

Citizens, all of us, have a responsibility to see that all levels of Government are being held accountable to perform it's mission and preserve the Rights affordedt to all of us under The Constitution in doing so. But above and beyond that, basic Human rights must be protected for all, including the incarcerated.

The State does not seem to understand the direct cause and effect it's actions has on the inmate population, or at least does not care. These archaic, for lack of a better word, practices inflame the population and causes a higher risk factor for the CO's who are dealing with the trickle down effects of some administrator's poor decision. It places both the Staff and the inmates in a much more "stressed" situation, the inmates have no one to turn that anger towards but the CO's and other inmates.

I'm right there with you, and if there is anything I can do, count me in. As members of this forum we know the number of people we see through here, and each of us has at least 1 family member or friend that share our views and concerns. Like the old Shampoo commercial,... and they tell a friend...etc.

Community action groups accomplish a lot in this country, joined by leaders of Religous organizations, Local Government, avg citizens and business leaders, united voices are heard at the highest levels.

United We Stand, divided we and OUR loved ones and friends fall!!!!!

Let’s get something done!
"Husbands, take good care of your wives. They are weaker than you. So treat them with respect. Honor them as those who will share with you the gracious gift of life. Then nothing will stand in the way of your prayers."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WifejailedinAZ For This Useful Post:
doc's honeee (05-28-2008), smallngood (05-28-2008)
Old 05-28-2008, 09:13 AM

Me too! I will help in anyway I can. I'm waiting for my sweetheart to get home so I can find out Just how bad it is, that he doesn't feel free to write home about. I havent been able to go see him at all, so there has been no conversation at all about the conditions. I'll be hearing the horror stories next week!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DORISV For This Useful Post:
doc's honeee (05-28-2008), WifejailedinAZ (05-28-2008)
Old 05-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Gollum, the evil one &TDC

OK let me ask this. Does this need to be a part of prisontalk.com or separate? This was created for support for people outside the prison. Would the people who run this site be interested in being connected with this. Either way we will probably need our own domain. That would be something that we need to decide and vote on I would think.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,542 Times in 1,745 Posts

I would think it should be separate.

I claim 2013 will be our best year thus far!!
Old 05-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,277 Times in 645 Posts

Mahatma,

Good point- -but- -I honestly think FOUL needs to be seperate, because PTO is for the whole United States- -FOUL is starting in Texas, see my point? It COULD expand farther, but have to take one step at a time.
Depending on their conditons, maybe PTO would let FOUL be listed under Texas, kind of like the section on "visitation,"- -links of that nature. I could ask, can't hurt to try! Just off the top of my head, I think PTO should be paid for letting FOUL be listed though. I could pay- -so long as it was a amount that didn't bankrupt me.
Heck, for some reason with ALL these people posting things on thier site now- -they can't make the amount needed for thier site- -I flat can't see why not- -hundreds of people post, yet not enough money being donated- -something is missing here!! If everyone donated just 5.00 to PTO they should have HAD the full amount a LONG time ago. Put it this way- -everyone should donate one gallon of gas! (hah)
Be safe.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:52 AM

The Tea Party is an ongoing natl/state project to do a letter writing campaign on or around July 4th. Their thread is on the Activist section. I helped with this at the begining and will do more, I've just had a lot on my plate right now. That's one place to start. I have spent a great deal of time looking at this system in the past year - steep learning curve! The system is huge, but the problems can be identified. I agree 1000% that if CO's and "freeworlders" could work together to solve this, it would be a better solution. First, CO's need to have a cohesive voice among themselves, that's not how it is now. Union. I would like to see the legal grounds that tdcj has, as a state employer to dictate who you can associate with. Don't misunderstand, I'm sure there are those who would abuse this, but they are doing it anyway! If we put a different public mindset on incarceration and crime to begin with, other improvements will follow. John Q Public needs to know who we are. No more hiding in the shadows, out of shame. We, as families haven't committed any crime. When an offender completes his sentence, his debt needs to paid at that point. Employment, housing, and financial discrimination is a civil right violation. As with our education system, proactive is always better that reactive. Non violent crime should be punished with real long term community service. Recidivism would drop! I don't want to sound simplistic, its very complicated, but I hear so many good ideas here and on other blogs. People have answers. Now, to unite!
Peace Marianne

Old 05-28-2008, 09:53 AM

I have all my bookmarks setup to stay in Texas. I only ventured out once to check on Global Tel Net the phone system that is replacing MCI. I forget this thing in nationwide.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,488 Times in 836 Posts

not to be stupid, here...but how does TIFA do now what FOUL would do? if not, what would the differences be?

i dont have too much pull being out of state...when i talked to our state rep (he golfs with the owner where i work and i cornered him one day when he came in) i was told that because he is not a blood relative and we are not married there isnt a lot he can do about the system there. he did, however tell me that if we tried to do interstate compact he would personally speak to the DA here for me.

once im down there, though (God Willing SOON) you better believe ill do anything to make a fuss and help!
Old 05-28-2008, 09:55 AM

I agree small, but I also understand the fact that some folks just can't spare the $5.00. there are many other ways we can help PTO I am sure. I have no problem donating a little here and there, hmm let's try humor for a sec, it's actually cheaper to support my wife right now thean if she was home... no hair, nails, spa, Dr appts..ok I can spare a dime here or there......

But also, from another perspective, I am and have been in the I.T. industry fr over 20 years, if there is any work that PTO needs volunteers to help with, Im up for the task.

Back on topic, FOUL does have a place in my opinion on PTO, it is a good idea that could spread through out the PTO communities. Granted I agree, it could be held in the Texas Forum somewhere, but it is just an idea right now. Not an organization, just a brain child of one of PTO's members that in turn if blossomed could help many of PTO's members.
"Husbands, take good care of your wives. They are weaker than you. So treat them with respect. Honor them as those who will share with you the gracious gift of life. Then nothing will stand in the way of your prayers."

Old 05-28-2008, 09:57 AM

I have only had limited experience with TIFA. I approached them about something like this a while ago. They didn't seem interested. Maybe it was me?? There are quite a few statewide organizations, but not a united effort. That would be unique.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifejailedinAZ View Post
I am and have been in the I.T. industry fr over 20 years, if there is any work that PTO needs volunteers to help with, Im up for the task.

Me too. That is scary. I hope IT relationships didn't just become a statistic!!! I volunteer a lot of time and everything I volunteer for needs money. I used to date a girl who did that for me. I never have known who and what to donate too. GTN or Global Tel Net is avg 50.00 a week right now just on phone calls from prison. That is a another WHOLE issue but seeps in to the money I spend a week. I told Marc once when she was in county I was not sure I could AFFORD for her to go to prison the way it was costing. Form a committee to brain storm. Think of ways to promote. Decide what you want built and how it ties in with similar interest.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:09 AM

As we discuss this I am writting Emails and composigng letters to anyone in the State that I feel may listen. I was searching and found the page for the Senate Committee on Criminal Justice. I have been listening in the background to some of the sessions, mostly the 80th session as it is the current, (yes it's a great non prescription sleeping aide), but I am picking up some very interesting information on how things are looked at and done withing TDCJ in general, also some names I had not heard of as of yet.. :-)

here is the link if you are interested. The latest session is covering Health Care costs... something the TDCJ would love to fins a way to limit or give to someone else to worry about.

http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Se.../c590/c590.htm

Grap some Java or your favorite super sized energy drink, but have a loisten when you can.

The Following User Says Thank You to WifejailedinAZ For This Useful Post:
doc's honeee (05-28-2008)
Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 AM

Definitely not IT material here, I can only type on a hunt and peck style!! Great ideas. I have a name and address list for the state and national representatives. I have to coax it out of my computer, who is also technologically challenged. I'll post it when I track it down! Peace Marianne

Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 AM

Smile Hunt & Peck huh?

Don't feel bad, you would be surprised how many hunt n peck typers are in the IT industry, this one included. I may be damn good at what I do and have been at it a long time, but if you read most of my posts, typing is not my stron suite... Something my wife has always made fun of, at which point I do something to her computer to make her have to scratch her head. Hahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc's honeee View Post
Definitely not IT material here, I can only type on a hunt and peck style!! Great ideas. I have a name and address list for the state and national representatives. I have to coax it out of my computer, who is also technologically challenged. I'll post it when I track it down! Peace Marianne