Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > IOWA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

IOWA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Iowa - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, visitation, mail, etc.

Old 10-30-2003, 04:41 PM
Missing My "Dudie"

Default Iowa Medical & Classification Center Rules-Oakdale, Iowa

Hi All I just recieved this imfo, Thought I would post for anyones future reference. I know I would of liked to of seen this stuff earlier.

Here you are:

IOWA MEDICAL AND CLASSIFICATION CENTER RECEPTION PROGRAM

The Iowa Medical and Classification Center (IMCC) is a correctional facility located near Iowa City, one and one-half miles north of interstate 80 on State Highway 965. Twenty-three beds at the facility are a part of a licensed psychiatric hospital. Over 300 beds are set aside for longer-term general population offenders. The remainder of IMCC is reserved for the Reception Program at the Iowa Department of Corrections (DOC). The design capacity of IMCC is 520 Beds.

All persons being incarcerated in the DOC will likely be in the reception Program for approximately 4-6 weeks. During that time, new offenders will receive complete physical and dental examinations, will undergo psychological and educational testing, and will receive information about DOC programs and policies. Near the end of the stay at IMCC, the offender will undergo a classification process to recommend treatment programs, determine an appropriate custody rating, and decide upon an initial assignment to a DOC correctional institution. Sometime after the reception process, the offender will be transferred to his/her assigned institution.

We realize that family and friends of offenders who are in the Reception Program will have many questions about our policies and procedures. The information below may answer some of those questions.

Correspondence: Each reception offender will be issued two (2) envelopes per week that are mailed at institution expense. Additional writing materials are available to offenders for purchase through our commissary. Offenders are not allowed to correspond with individuals under correctional supervision or detention, or with non-related persons under the age of 18 (except with parental permission). When you write to an offender here, you must use his/her full name, institutional identification number, and our full address as follows:

(Offender Name and #)
IMCC
2700 Coral Ridge Ave
Coralville Iowa

You must also use yout full name and return address on the envelope and you must sign your full name at the end of the letter. All mail, will be inspected for contraband. Offenders are not allowed to give letters, property, or money to other offenders. If you assist offenders in such transactions, your communication priviledges with all offenders may be terminated.

Visits: IMCC Reception offenders will not receive visits except for their attorney and one clergy. The offender's attorney and clergy will need to complete a visiting application and will need to be approved for visiting. These visits muct occur during normal visiting hours. The offender's attorney can make arrangements in advance to visit outside of scheduled visiting hours. We encourage offenders in Reception Status to send visiting applications to their immediate family so they can be approved to visit for when the offender is transferred in General Polulation. Visiting applications that we receive for non-immediate family will not be processed. Immediate family is defines as grandparents, parents, step parents, siblings, spouse, and the offender's children. Step and half relations are included if they co-habited with the offender. If you are denied visiting IMCC will notify you with a reason.

Phone Calls: Reception Offenders (reception members scored as maximum custody are allowed legal calls only) are allowed to make telephone calls automatically limited to 15 minutes using the Offender Pre-Paid Service. The DOC inmate Telephone Accounts Pre-Paid form must be completed and sent in with each deposit to be placed on the offender's telephone account. This form is available at all correctional facilities and also on the Department's website: www.doc.state.ia.us. You may also photo copy a sufficient supply to meet you needs. The minimum deposit for each deposit is $20.00. Only Cashier's Checks and money orders will be accepted. All deposits must be designated to an inmate name and matching I.D. number. After January 1,2002, deposits may also be designated to a specific telephone number as well. Toll free numbers and 900 numbers are prohibited. All deposits must be mailed directly to:

IDOC Offender Telephone Accounts
Post Office Box 1417
Fort Madison, Iowa 52627

Personal Property: Personal property is not allowed. Do NOT send personal property or attempt to deliver items during visits. All reception offenders will be provided basic needs. They will not receive any monetary allowance while here. If you wish to send money to an offender, it MUST be in the form of a cashier's check or money order made payable to:
"Warden of the offender (Full name & Number)."
Money orders and cashier checks must also incluse the name of the sender. DO NOT ENCLOSE LETTERS TO OFFENDERS WITH CHECKS> THEY WILL BOTH BE RETURNED TO THE SENDER. Cashiers Checks/Money orders must be mailed directly to the:

IDOC Offender Fiduciary Account
1550 L Street, Suite B
Fort Dodge, IA 50501

Most offenders are required to pay a potion of their allowance for restitution. If the offender has and enforced restitution plam, a portion (usually 20%) of the amount sent to the offender will be deducted for restitution.

We recognize the important role that each offender's family and friends play on the process of adjusting to and receiving benefits from his/her incarceration experience. If you have additional questions or concerns, you should feel free to call this facility and ask to speak to the offender's counselor. Our Telephone number is (319) 626-2391.

Signed Russell E. Rogerson (warden)

Last edited by SimplyMe123; 02-01-2012 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: Correcting mailing addresses
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Binky's Gal For This Useful Post:
goldenstar_00 (04-27-2008), Mother93001 (10-25-2009), Surviving_Angel (06-01-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2003, 01:43 PM

Talking

Heather,
Thanks for the much needed info! I'm new at this, although my Aaron isn't. Hopefully this will be his last pass thru IMCC. I just wanted to know, do you really have to wait 4-6 weeks to visit? We are married, but I don't know if that makes any difference! Thanks again, and hi to all! I'll be a frequent visitor for the next 5 (or however long that means in Iowa prison time) years!
Old 11-28-2003, 01:57 PM
Missing My "Dudie"

Hi Winngirl1-

Yes you do have to wait, maybe even longer than that. They allow only lawyers to visit Oakdale, so you will have to wait til he gets beyond. Have him send you a visiting app, since you are married, they will process it there, and then when he gets to his regular prison you should be set to go.
Good Luck-
Heather
Old 11-29-2003, 12:36 PM

The people that can visit at Oakdale are spouse, there chrilden, and parents and siblings(Brothers,Sisters,) and Lawyers. Basically no friends are girlfriends,boyfriends. After John left Oakdale it took about 2 and a half weeks to get approved.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:52 PM
Missing My "Dudie"

No Tami- this has all changed since the escapes. Only lawyers can visit-no family no nobody at all.

IMCC Reception offenders will not receive visits except for their attorney and one clergy. The offender's attorney and clergy will need to complete a visiting application and will need to be approved for visiting.

This stinks, but its the new rules
Old 11-29-2003, 01:09 PM

I think thats funny because John was at Oakdale when they had the prison breakout and he still had visits with his mom and children.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:21 PM

What my underdstanding is when they are moved to General Population they are aloud to visit with there family. Because when John was first there he didn't have visits the fist couple weeks was like a reveiw seeing how you react to being there something like that . Then he was moved to General population while still at Oakdale he had visit's with his family
Old 11-30-2003, 09:11 AM

*kicking and screaming!* Sheesh I wish they would just make up ONE rule and stick with it, instead of just making them up and/or modifying them as they go along! I told Aaron this morning that I hope he realizes that it wasn't just him, he got locked up, it's me too! If I cry one more tear I swear my eyes will just fall out! Thanks for the info and for letting me vent!
Suzanne
Old 12-14-2003, 05:43 PM
Missing My "Dudie"

Hi Everyone- Just wanted to clarify something here.
The Rules that I have posted above are for RECEPTION offenders. And yes, there is General Population at Oakdale, and yes General Pop is allowed Imediate family visits. I hope this clears alot up, I only posted these rules for anyone new going through this stage, As Oakdale is always the first stop for all inmates before they are transfered to their regular prison.

So Please be advised that the above rules are not for General Population at Oakdale. Only Reception.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:32 PM

Default How?!

Hi everyone! I'm new here and my fiancee is now in Oakdale and she will most likely end up in Mitchelville. I keep hearing about these Visitation Forms and she sent me the website addy, but how do I get a form? Is there an official form I need to fill out, or do I just write in and give them my info? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:33 AM
Donation Award 

Gypsy.. your fiance will have to send you a form in order for you to be allowed visitation. There is nowhere on the web to get these forms.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:51 PM

Is it possible to post one of these visitor forms on PTO? I can send one if it's ok.....
What are the rules regarding this?
The Following User Says Thank You to lostmylove For This Useful Post:
ldemry (01-30-2009)
Old 08-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Donation Award 

Lostmylove.. I don't know the rules as far as posting forms. The only problem I see is that if someone tries to use it (someone wanting to visit a prisoner), it will be rejected by the facility because only the inmate can send them out with the facility's approval. I know this, because my son has a little boy who lives with his mother. My son asked for his mother's address so that he could send her a form for my grandson's visitation. My grandson can't go with me without his mother's approval.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:47 PM

Default Thank you for the info

WOW! That answered so much for me. I can't thank you enough. It is hard out here not knowing what is going on in there.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:32 PM

my husband just got sent to oakdale. i've been reading all these postings but i don't understand. when will he beable to call me? what is a reception offender? will he only be there for 4-6 weeks or will it be longer? can i send him pictures?
Old 12-06-2005, 07:19 AM
The Lord is my strength
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,782 Times in 791 Posts

Tiger_lilly17, my son just recently got transferred out of Oakdale to Anamosa. I can't remember how long b4 he could call, but I know someone has to send a money order or cashier's ck ($20 minimum) to his telephone acct (that info is above in Blinky's Gal's post). You can send pictures, and you never know for positive how long he'll be there, but 4-6 weeks is average. A reception offender is one who got sentenced to prison and they all go to Oakdale to be classified. The classification tells what type of prison (minimum, medium or max) they should go to. But, my son was classified as minimum/med and still got sent to anamosa, which is med/max.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

"And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive." ~ Matthew 21:22

Old 12-07-2005, 03:21 PM

believing- if he had money on his books in county jail, would that transfer to oakdale? if so could he use that to buy a phone card or do i still have to do it?
Old 12-07-2005, 03:46 PM

hey i just found a website that told me my husbands info and it gave me his inmate number thing. would that be the number i use when i write to him?
Old 12-08-2005, 03:23 AM
Missing My "Dudie"

Tiger~

If I were you I would just go ahead and send him atleast 20 to his phone account so he is able to call incase they dont transfer his money or it takes some to time be transfered. Every Jail is different. Earlier in the post it tells you exactly how to do this. But yes, he can put money on for his phone account as long as he has it to do so.
He will have to get your number on his phone list, once on his list that will travel with him once he gets to his regular prison.
And yes the number you saw on the doc site is exactly the number you use to write him. That # will not change.

Hope this helps more~Good Luck,

Heather
Old 12-08-2005, 06:20 AM
The Lord is my strength
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,782 Times in 791 Posts

Hi, Tiger_Lilly17. I just got your PM last night. I'm be sending one back to you. I would think they would transfer his money to Oakdale. I think if you call 319-626-4238, they might tell you if he has money on his phone acct. When my son was there and his phone money was about to run out, he told me I could either send more money in or he could transfer some of his spending money to his phone acct. So if the money on his books went to his acct at Oakdale, he should be able to put it on his phone acct.

His inmate number is the one you have to put after his name when you send him correspondence. They'll confirm his ID number at the phone number above also.

I think Oakdale is an okay place to be. My son Kevin was fine there.

"And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive." ~ Matthew 21:22

Old 12-08-2005, 07:54 PM

thanks to you guys for writing me back. you have helped soooo much during this time of change. i can't express what it means to me to actually talk to others who have and are going through the same thing.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:18 PM

hey i just got off the doc site and it said adam's tentative date of release will be in 3 years from now. he is up for parole in 6-8 months. have you ever heard of anyone getting paroled the first time and if not. how long will it be from his first to his second or does it vary?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Missing My "Dudie"

Tiger~
I just asked Ricky your question. He said hard to say, most dont make parole their first review. Depends on what he is in for and if he has required classes to complete, they wont even consider paroling him til those are complete.
His tentative outdate is when he'll be released end of sentence (providing he stays outta trouble) if he dont make parole.
On a 5 year sentence (not sure how long he got) Ricky said the board will look at him at 8 months, then it wont happen again for a year after that.
Hope this helps more, stay strong...

Hugs~Heather
Old 12-10-2005, 06:50 PM

he's in for a 3rd owi and i believe criminal mischief in the second or burglary in the 3rd. he got two 5 year sentences ran together. his tentative date of release was in 2008 and that wouldn't be 5 years from now. this is so confusing. thanks for helping though.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Missing My "Dudie"

Tiger~

Ricky said in Iowa, your sentence is automatically cut in half for good time behavior. Any trouble though, then they can take that good time back.
So that is why his tenative outdate is 2008, that is when he will forsure be discharged providing he dont make parole before that.
For owi charges he will forsure be required to do alcohol treatment to even be considered for parole. And Ricky told me to tell you to tell your honey that as soon as he gets to his regular prison, have him talk to his councelor to get him in that right away to get it over with, otherwise they wont get him in until the parole board recommends it, which then it will be even longer for him to get parole.

Hope this helps ya......
Hugs~Heather