Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know > Florida Prison Visitation - General Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida Prison Visitation - General Q&A This forum is for general, nonspecific questions & discussions related to visitation in Florida facilities. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific facility, please visit that facility's regional subforum in the Florida forum.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Visitation Canceled

My BF was sent to Work Release last week. Last weekend we had a great visitation and marveled at how relaxed/friendly the guards were.

Well...today is a new day. I'm so upset...2 hours into visitation today...the one thing my BF and I look forward to all week, and our visitation was canceled. Just like that. I had to call his parents and tell them not to go today, which I'm sure was disappointing for them, but I think they can go tomorrow.

And I think I'm allowed back, but I'm not sure. I don't understand. I don't think we were doing anything wrong...what could we have been doing wrong?

I don't think he got a DR (which would send him back to prison), but she did make note of it in the PC...so there are no second chances. He's finally closer...no longer 10hrs away, and I still can't see him.

Does anyone have any clue what happens when your visit is ended abruptly? Will my BF get into trouble? Be sent back? Will I not be allowed back?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2007, 07:00 AM

Wow! Was anyone else visiting other people at the time? Did their visits end early? No one told you why? What's a "PC"?

Has your boyfriend called? That is all so confusing. Try not to worry, they probably just messed up on their part and caught it.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Donation Award 

They didn't tell you why the visit was terminated?
Old 11-04-2007, 03:07 PM

Bayside...PC = personal computer.

Okay, now I know a little more. My BF did call me yesterday and said that apparently a guard or somebody from another facility *happened* to be driving by (at 40+ MPH) and thought she saw me sitting on my BF's lap. So she called into the Control Room and they immediately terminated our visit for the day. Ummm...why on earth would I sit on my BF's lap??? We wouldn't do that. There were other people out there...they could have vouched for us...but nooooooooooooo....just basically, "It's over, get out."

I don't think that's fair that something like that could happen, based on a random drive by...no questions asked. The sergeant did say I could go back today, which I did...just for a couple hours before I had to leave for a wedding brunch thing. So, that was good, I guess....to know I haven't been banned for the remainder of time.

Ironically, there's this one very nice guard who came up to us today and said to me, "I felt so bad for you yesterday..don't even sweat it." I was telling him, "But I'm that girl who doesn't even cross the street w/o a green light. I'm a rule follower all the way." *sigh* Whatever. I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it...he's got 7+ months to go. I don't want to make it harder than it already is...so if I have to sit on my hands or across a table w/o any physical contact whatsoever just to be able to visit...I'll do it. It's their rules. I'm game.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Closed

they often mix up people. I once saw a girl who had her hand in her inmate-boyfriend's lap, and the officers came and were about to terminate somebody else's visit for this "offense". They said the tower called and reported inappropriate behavior, but could not exactly tell which couple did that sort of stuff.
No wonder. "Well he has a blue suit on and she is sitting next to him; she has long dark hair"
could be anybody. All inmates wear blue suits - it is so hard to distinguish them
Old 11-20-2007, 07:29 PM

Milena - Good point...and I wish that were true, but we were the only two non-African American folks out there at the time. I'm Caucasian with red hair...not so common.

And to be quite honest, since that time...something has been said to us EVERY weekend. This past weekend my BF got a CC for supposedly giving me a "pop kiss" on the mouth which was declared/written by the guard in the Control Room who was NOT out in the Viso Park. There weren't ANY guards in the viso park at that time. And for the record, he did NOT! The weekend before that, same guard (who again, does not patrol the viso park) said we were sitting "wrong". How could we be sitting "wrong"?? We were with his parents. We were sitting on two separate benches.

It's very frustrating, but the nice guard (who DOES patrol the viso park on the weekends) said we're not doing anything wrong...to keep doing what we're doing...and when I pressed him on the one particular guard who seems to have a problem with me (i.e. besides lecturing my BF for us sitting 'wrong', writing him a CC, she ignores me in the morning when I walk up for registration, as I'm the first one there...and she often waits awhile to call out my BF), he said, "You're pretty...that's all I'm saying and I'm going to leave it at that." What is that supposed to mean?? I've never had problems like this before...as I've always dealt with others and been dealt with in a professional manner. I respect their position and "power"...and that's that. This is too much. I'm documenting all of it and keeping a history of each negative interaction with this guard, should I need to make a case in the future, I'll have the back up.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Girl
besides lecturing my BF for us sitting 'wrong', writing him a CC, she ignores me in the morning when I walk up for registration, as I'm the first one there...and she often waits awhile to call out my BF)
sounds soooooooooooooooooooooo familiar to me... I know EXACTLY what you're talking about
Old 11-28-2007, 07:47 AM

And so it continues...

...this weekend it was me being told to put my sweater on. (I was wearing a sweater set, but the sweater was tied over my shoulders.) Mind you..it was LOOSE..and throughout the day I counted FIVE other women in sleeveless tops, but nope...not me. Visitation is outside and it's 80+ degrees. Also, while EVERYONE around us had coffee...*I* was not allowed to bring in coffee for my BF. And while *I* was told 'clear containers/bags only...I counted TWO picnic baskets...not clear. Oh, and let's not forget the woman IN THE VISO PARK with her cell phone. How is *that* okay?? It's crazy. Selective enforcement of the rules. Alas, it's a game I have to play...for a bit longer. I'm documenting everything...they day he's released is the day a letter goes out to Tally and copying the world. It's not right.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:26 PM
HE'S HOME!!!!! :) :)

Your so right FLgrl, but hold tight cause your guy is almost home. Let me know once you put some fire under thier A$$ (haha), I wanna know how it goes.
He ain't nothing but a pimp
He got a lot of chicks
He's always in the club
And they say, he think he's slick,
He got a lot of chips
He's so messed up, I heard
He's been locked up, find somebody else
He ain't nothing but a thug
.....SO WHAT!!!!!.....
Old 11-28-2007, 07:35 PM
HE IS THE LOVE OF MY LIFE
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Girl
And so it continues...

...this weekend it was me being told to put my sweater on. (I was wearing a sweater set, but the sweater was tied over my shoulders.) Mind you..it was LOOSE..and throughout the day I counted FIVE other women in sleeveless tops, but nope...not me. Visitation is outside and it's 80+ degrees. Also, while EVERYONE around us had coffee...*I* was not allowed to bring in coffee for my BF. And while *I* was told 'clear containers/bags only...I counted TWO picnic baskets...not clear. Oh, and let's not forget the woman IN THE VISO PARK with her cell phone. How is *that* okay?? It's crazy. Selective enforcement of the rules. Alas, it's a game I have to play...for a bit longer. I'm documenting everything...they day he's released is the day a letter goes out to Tally and copying the world. It's not right.
I am so sorry to read that all of this is happening to you. As you said you have to play by their rules. Keep your head up and keep your cool this situation will be over soon.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:40 PM

Are you kidding me.... a cell phone in the visiting park. That is a corrupt place if that is going on. I hope you are making note of who the duty warden is on each visit as well. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a pattern there.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:12 AM

Nina - This is at a WRC, so not sure there is a duty warden. I have the Major's name...and he's the one in charge over all, I believe...but other than that, I believe the individual in charge of weekend visitations is the same female lieutenant who has canceled our visit before...as a result of this one particular guard telling her that she was told by a passerby in a CAR that we were doing something wrong...which we were not. This woman is FAR from objective....but I will make note of it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes...a CELL PHONE *in* the park...can you believe?? I mean, that ranks right up there with drugs or alcohol, ya know? *sigh* Just going to keep showing up, with a smile on my face....what else can I do?

Thanks, everyone, for your support. It's frustrating. And the place is run so poorly, but I still feel very fortunate that my BF is no longer 10hrs away and that he's actually at a WRC...even though they won't let him work yet b/c his Class Officer forgot to sign his orientation book when he turned it in. Isn't that S.O.P.? I mean...how do you not sign the book? Sooo...Head of Jobs won't let him interview yet...and he's been there over a month now. Oh well...it's a game, unfortunately, these are also people's lives, ya know?
Old 11-29-2007, 09:34 AM

Florida Girl...

I am so sorry you having so many problems. When will he get out? I know you told me, but I have forgotten.

I know you feel like you are walking on eggshells at your visits. Those people basically have our lives in their hands. I dread the probation part of it.

We were at visitation and we were trying to leave and the hand scanner wasn't working correctly. Well, my daughter was doing it right, but the lady in the booth was new and didn't have a clue, but she was talking to my daughter like she was stupid. My husband got annoyed and wasn't really rude, but I could tell he was losing his cool. He said, "we have been coming here a year and we know how to do the thing". I freaked out, because I was so afraid they would punish my son for my husband's remark. My husband doesn't realize how much power these people have. I thank God we only have 3 months left to go.

My son said, people talk to him like he's stupid all the time and it's so hard to take it. I can't imagine having any ol' Tom, Dick or Harry talking down to me all the time.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:00 AM

Bayside - March? Ohhh...that's GREAT! My BF's ERD is mid-June. Not too-too terrible, right? Once he's working he's going to try to get put on the schedule for 6 days a week...and then hopefully in the next two months, he'll be approved for furloughs to go home on Sundays (orientation for furloughs is on Dec 9). Sooooo, hopefully he'll be keeping a low profile around the WRC which will minimize chances of getting into trouble and I will just be able to see him on Sundays at his parents house.

You know, the irony is that his parents are with us every weekend, both days. To accuse of us 'sitting wrong' or 'kissing' is just ridiculous. We're with his (very) conservative parents; we wouldn't do that.

We worry about probation, too. My BF got a split sentence. He'll be holding 5 yrs paper. That's not good.

I soooo hear ya on being talked down, too. It cracks me up b/c let me tell you, if these people only knew who they were talking to and what I do for a living. A little lesson to learn...be careful with the way you treat people...you never know when you're going to need their help. They've got a little bit of power and, well, they try to use it. I guess that's what insecurity does to you.

I cannot imagine how humbling it is for our loved ones. I was burning inside one morning when I heard the female guard berating my BF for us supposedly 'sitting wrong' the day before. She knows exactly what she's doing. She goes out of her way first thing in the morning to say something to either me or him to try to be an irritant and taint our visit. I refuse to give her that much power. I just continue to remind him...that he will be leaving that place...she's stuck. I have no doubt we won't rise above and get past this crap. Success is the best revenge, my friend.