Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > Virginia General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Virginia General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Virginia that do not fit into any other Virginia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:47 PM

Default Circuit Court

I went to General District Court yesterday and since ALL sufficient evidence was not found in reference to my felony drug possession case, my lawyer tried to get the DA to drop it to a misdemeanor and $100 fine. DA denied this but did agree to one years probation (unsupervised), continuing my drug counselling and testing, and restricted suspension of my drivers license, and or course fines and fees. In other words..the FIRST OFFENDER deal.
Now I go to CIRCUIT COURT next month...and although my laywer DID tell me all the proceedings..I sure would like to hear..WHAT HAPPENS NEXT...in laymans terms rather than legal mumbo jumbo that I do not understand?
Any and all assistance sure will be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2006, 09:58 AM

Need to rephrase something I noticed in my post...it was the COMMONWEALTHs ATTORNEY that the deal was made with...not the DA. Told you I suck at the legal mumbo jumbo.
Just basically wanted to know...in LAYMANS terms rather than legal terms..what to expect in Circuit court....whats this "grand jury" thing mean that I am up against...etc?
If this "deal" was made, are there any chances of that changing or is this agreement "set in stone" persay?
Old 03-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Always Doin' My Best
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,168 Posts

From what I understand, and that may not be much, you get arrested and there is a hearing where witnesses and such go before the judge and then he decides if there is enough evidence for the charges to go to the Grand Jury. (He can dismiss it there if he wants.) This is also where you have to tell them you have a lawyer or need one appointed. If the judge says there is enough, all the evidence goes to the Grand Jury and that group of people decide if the charges stick. Then a trial is set unless a deal is made.

They can bypass the Grand Jury somehow and go straight to trial, but I don't know the details.