Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California Correctional Institution (CCI) - Tehachapi
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Correctional Institution (CCI) - Tehachapi Topic and discussion specific to CCI California Correctional Institution in Tehachapi, California.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:25 PM

Default His artwork is vanishing en route to me

My sweetie is an incredible artist -- he designed each of my tattoos. Well, two months ago he told me he had a really important piece he was sending me. He said he put the art in a large manila envelope with a letter and to expect it. The envelope arrived with the letter in it, but no art. They didn't return his art to him, either. There was absolutely nothing violent, sexual, or gang-related about the piece -- it was a Dia de los Muertos picture.

So a couple weeks ago, he decided to test something. He mailed me a homemade card with some cute art on it, but he wrote on the inside because he says they might take art, but it's a crime if they take an actual letter. I received that. So we were like, okay, we found something that works.

Well, he worked on a very large piece that he said would stun me. To make sure I got it, he wrote an entire letter to me on the back of it, put it in a manila envelope with four stamps just to be safe.

It never reached me.

Isn't this a crime?! Who do I complain to? He says this has happened to a couple other guys, too, and he's going to file a 602 (?). Should I call mail room or the ombudsman? I'm seriously perturbed because we are trying to get a full portfolio of his art put together here on the outside.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2020, 08:46 PM

I would first and foremost call the prison. There may be a reason they will share with you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacob's Girl For This Useful Post:
Cisne (03-08-2020), Ms Sunny (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 10:45 AM
Donation Award 

This could be a result of the prison CO's crap they pull...and they do. Or, it could be the local post office where the prison is at. I know that where I was at in Loretto, PA, it was a known fact that an employee ( I believe it was a woman ) at the local P.O. was deliberately interfering with mail coming out of Loretto. Too much stuff from prisoners to their families & friends never made it home or was tampered with over years. I do note that Loretto no longer uses to the local P.O. It is all done at another P.O. now sometime since I left 3 years ago. This may be happening in your case.
The Following User Says Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
Cisne (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob's Girl View Post
I would first and foremost call the prison. There may be a reason they will share with you.
I don't think there's a legitimate reason. The first time it happened, he wrote a request to find out what was up, and was told that the prison did no such thing. So if they aren't even acknowledging that they did it, well, yeah...
Old 03-09-2020, 04:04 AM

But sometimes having a loved one call can help. Just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob's Girl For This Useful Post:
Cisne (03-15-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 08:02 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,303 Times in 16,149 Posts

First off, the local Post office would not tamper with mail. IF there was an employee doing that, they would be investigated (set up in other words, to catch them....seen it happen in our office twice)
The ONLY time mail is removed from the mail stream is when drugs or other non mailable items are suspected. Its turned over to the Postal inspectors.
Even mail that has been wrecked by the machinery if even a part of the address (either outgoing or incoming) can be read, that item is put in what we used to call a body bag, and delivered. Ive done that MANY times.
If they item was needing postage, it might be sent with a postage due mark on it.
Not sure how the mail room (employees) that handle outgoing mail for the prisons handle or determine what can and cannot go out and what they do with the piece.

I'd try calling the prison and see if you can speak with someone from the mail room.
I would encourage the inmate who sent the mail to 602 this.

Mail from a prison may not go thru a local post office other than it gets picked up and sent to a processing unit. There it gets sorted and sent to another processing unit, to the office who would deliver it, and then to the carrier who's job it is to put it in the mail box. So things go thru alot of hands and machines.

He might consider mailing items certified that require a signature. Its more expensive but.........at least then there is a trail that is easier to follow.

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Cisne (03-15-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 07:55 AM

Sidewalker is correct bout the post office. If the letters are messed up from the machine or some other the employee will put it in a bag or what we do is just wrap it up. 1st class mail isn't a big focus so it's the last thing to go out at nite. But the CO's do read the mail & you can also talk to the mail room dept
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ladybug98 For This Useful Post:
Cisne (03-15-2020), sidewalker (03-10-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 01:05 PM

Is it possible to just wait and pick it up when you visit the prison?
That's what we do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoluv29 For This Useful Post:
Cisne (03-15-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 10:13 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD
Donation Award 

Thanked 32,303 Times in 16,149 Posts

I dont think they would allow that here. (to pick it up)

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
Cisne (03-15-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisne View Post
My sweetie is an incredible artist -- he designed each of my tattoos. Well, two months ago he told me he had a really important piece he was sending me. He said he put the art in a large manila envelope with a letter and to expect it. The envelope arrived with the letter in it, but no art. They didn't return his art to him, either. There was absolutely nothing violent, sexual, or gang-related about the piece -- it was a Dia de los Muertos picture.

So a couple weeks ago, he decided to test something. He mailed me a homemade card with some cute art on it, but he wrote on the inside because he says they might take art, but it's a crime if they take an actual letter. I received that. So we were like, okay, we found something that works.

Well, he worked on a very large piece that he said would stun me. To make sure I got it, he wrote an entire letter to me on the back of it, put it in a manila envelope with four stamps just to be safe.

It never reached me.

Isn't this a crime?! Who do I complain to? He says this has happened to a couple other guys, too, and he's going to file a 602 (?). Should I call mail room or the ombudsman? I'm seriously perturbed because we are trying to get a full portfolio of his art put together here on the outside.
It sounds like an inside job to me. Someone from the prison is probably stealing the art work and making money on the side. I doubt very much that it's the postal service. They have strict rules and guidelines pertaining to their mail and how to handle it.

Also to don't forget the new rules about cards and colored paper, stamps and envelops going into the prisoners. Maybe the prison system is doing the same for the inmates and maybe his artwork is being destroyed. Just an idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
Cisne (03-15-2020)
Old 03-14-2020, 06:55 AM

Thanked 1,122 Times in 503 Posts

Did he ask what happened? Dia de los Muertes art work leaves a lot open for interpretation. Is you are in a jail that has Latin gang population, this artwork may send up many flags.
He will only know what happens when he inquires. I doubt it was anything sinister, just miscommunication. Hopefully he can get it all back and organize his portfolio when he releases.
I hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
Cisne (03-15-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 01:24 PM

Thanks to all of your for your replies, ladies. He 602'd the first missing item. He got a response saying "We aren't responsible for what happens in the mail room" (came from his yard supervisor).

I left the mail room two messages last week, no answer. Finally I got through to them, and a gal looked him up and said they have taken none of his mail for any type of violations. I explained the situation in full, and she said if the art was stolen, it had to have happened on his yard. I told her that he already 602'd it and the yard pointed to the mail room. She just said he needs to file another 602. Nobody will take responsibility for it.

I did ask him if he can just bring his art down to visit and hand it to me there, and he says he's not allowed. Sigh.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cisne For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (03-28-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 02:16 PM

Thanked 1,122 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Thanks to all of your for your replies, ladies. He 602'd the first missing item. He got a response saying "We aren't responsible for what happens in the mail room" (came from his yard supervisor).

I left the mail room two messages last week, no answer. Finally I got through to them, and a gal looked him up and said they have taken none of his mail for any type of violations. I explained the situation in full, and she said if the art was stolen, it had to have happened on his yard. I told her that he already 602'd it and the yard pointed to the mail room. She just said he needs to file another 602. Nobody will take responsibility for it.

I did ask him if he can just bring his art down to visit and hand it to me there, and he says he's not allowed. Sigh.
I am sorry to hear this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ms Sunny For This Useful Post:
Cisne (03-22-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:

Personally to me, it sounds like someone is stealing it and probably making a profit from it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
Cisne (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 10:51 AM

I guess the mystery will never be solved... but I have good news! Five days after I called to inquire (and received no help), the artwork/letter suddenly showed up in my mailbox! No postmark on it, either. Quite strange. But my suspicion is that somebody in the mailroom or on the yard simply isn't doing their job, and my call kicked off somebody looking around for unsent mail. Hooray!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cisne For This Useful Post:
Born (03-22-2020), Jacob's Girl (03-22-2020), sidewalker (03-28-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I guess the mystery will never be solved... but I have good news! Five days after I called to inquire (and received no help), the artwork/letter suddenly showed up in my mailbox! No postmark on it, either. Quite strange. But my suspicion is that somebody in the mailroom or on the yard simply isn't doing their job, and my call kicked off somebody looking around for unsent mail. Hooray!

If this has happened to you, Imagine how many other people are in your situation? If it was delivered to you without any postmark then i would have to assume that it was someone in the jail mailroom. I mean really if it was the us postal service how on earth would the worker know where you live? It would have had to be from the prison.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:40 PM

This makes me wonder if I should call the prison on bogus medical charges occurring with my man. ??? He's filed grievances. At this point, it's probably close to $80 worth. Well, he has an atty now. I'll ask them