Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALABAMA > Alabama General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Alabama General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Alabama that do not fit into any other Alabama subforum. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind in addition to prison.

Old 01-31-2004, 12:44 PM
happy pto member

Default weatherly to board of pardons and paroles

STATE OF ALABAMA

Office of the Governor

BOB RILEY
Governor

Press Office

January 29, 2004

GOV. BOB RILEY APPOINTS WEATHERLY TO BOARD OF PARDONS AND PAROLES

MONTGOMERY – Gov. Bob Riley today appointed Velinda Weatherly to a six-year term on the Alabama Board of Pardons and Paroles.

“Weatherly is a long time parole board employee and knows the system well,” Gov. Riley said. “I expect the Alabama Senate to act swiftly to confirm her and the other four appointees to the board when the Legislative session begins in February.”

Weatherly, a Forestdale native, is appointed to fill the seat vacated by Gladys Riddle on August 1, 2003. She was nominated by Acting Chief Justice Gorman Houston, Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals Judge Bucky McMillan and Lt. Gov. Lucy Baxley.

Governor's Press Office - State Capitol - Suite NB-06 - Montgomery, Alabama 36130 - (334) 242-7150

For more contact information, visit Governor Bob Riley's Web Site: http://www.governor.state.al.us/

Last edited by Lysbeth; 01-31-2004 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: (just removing some of the open spaces, LOL)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2004, 12:50 PM

Man I hope they do accept them all so we can get the ball trolling for more hearings!
Old 01-31-2004, 12:55 PM
happy pto member

me to gspack.we are all sitting here with frazzeled nerves, waiting, and waiting....... if they don't do something real soon, i won't have any hair or nails left.lol
Old 02-01-2004, 07:36 AM

I'm kinda confused (not so hard to do) by this. So this person will replace Ms.Riddle, I get that part. How does this fit into the extra the hired 'temporarily' to catch up? So even though they've been [supposedly] working double time to catch up (then why do they keep getting further behind) .......this is going to make things be smoother? And does this mean that the one person who recently left the 'temporary' catch up team won't be replaced?

I'm in a fog. Nothing new there.

Care
Old 02-01-2004, 07:59 AM
happy pto member

Care,
The Way I Took This To Mean Ms. Weatherly Will Replace Bobby Longshore, Who Resigned Because The Senate Was Not Going To Approve Him.
Who Know's What They Are Going To Do Next.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:18 AM

Like everyone else, I wait and hold my breath and pray feverishly for Divine intervention.

Care
Old 02-01-2004, 04:08 PM

Okay Care..the way this has been working is Riley appointed 5 people, one of whom replaced Ms Riddle on the regular board. Then he appointed the people ( + an alternate) to head up the special (3 year only) board to handle the early release paroles. (they started hearing early release in December 03) All these appointees must be approved in the February Legislators when it convenes. They can either accept the nominees or disapprove meaning that Riley would have to find someone else. Rumor had it that some of the /Legislators were against this one guy so he resigned before they dismissed him. The legislators wanted a more diverse board from different areas of the state also. If they disapprove anyone else off the special board(they don't even have anything to do with the ones already eligible for hearings and anyone with split sentences or violent crimes won't go before this board either) unless they have at least 2 on the baord no hearings can be heard. Hope this helps you understand.

GSPack
Old 02-01-2004, 04:24 PM

Default More SOS please

Thank you, GS ~~ I THINK I have a better picture. So if this new board doesn't help with the back log of violent cases, how do they think they will catch up with those cases? I try to read what is written but I just don't get it. Makes me feel so stupid but taking into consideration that I can't use common sense thinking, I guess I should feel so incompetent?

Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPack
Okay Care..the way this has been working is Riley appointed 5 people, one of whom replaced Ms Riddle on the regular board. Then he appointed the people ( + an alternate) to head up the special (3 year only) board to handle the early release paroles. (they started hearing early release in December 03) All these appointees must be approved in the February Legislators when it convenes. They can either accept the nominees or disapprove meaning that Riley would have to find someone else. Rumor had it that some of the /Legislators were against this one guy so he resigned before they dismissed him. The legislators wanted a more diverse board from different areas of the state also. If they disapprove anyone else off the special board(they don't even have anything to do with the ones already eligible for hearings and anyone with split sentences or violent crimes won't go before this board either) unless they have at least 2 on the baord no hearings can be heard. Hope this helps you understand.

GSPack
Old 02-01-2004, 06:40 PM

Nope you understood it right..the new board does not help with the older parole hearings just the special early release (non violent offenders)that Riley ordered done. Most of us here now feel that the Feds need to step in and get it over with.!!!

GSPack