Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Preciosa Avila

Default Parole release question-how does the process work?

Hi i have a question...does anyone know how the parole release process works? (hope i'm making sense)

1. Does he have to have a specific address where he has to parole to? (Example: parents/wife) and does he have to stay there at that residence when he is released? if yes what will happen if he leaves/goes elsewhere without telling the parole officer?
2. Does he have to maintain a job? if yes then what will happen if he looses the job or gets fired does the employer call the parole officer?
3. Does the parole officer verify residence/job/etc before he gets released?
4. What happens if he is around others who are in trouble with the law? (Example: ppl on probation/parole)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Probation & Parole Office

1) Yes, it has to be a specific address and the person who lives there has to be willing to "sponsor" the Offender to reside with them.
2) Yes, unless there is some type of disability, employment is required. If the Offender loses the job or is terminated, they must inform their Officer immediately.
3) Yes, the address must be proven to be a valid one.
4) Generally, associating with others who are on supervision is frowned upon. The only exception is marriage or very close family. Although both of those can be rescinded if they they get the Offender into trouble. If the Offender associates with those on supervision, the results can be any thing from a slight butt-chewing to arrest.
These things are for lesser men.
Protect the weak against the evil strong.
And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Igor Louis For This Useful Post:
Darkangel29 (06-20-2009), msjg (06-16-2009), mywife19 (07-10-2009)
Old 06-26-2009, 11:31 AM

When the inmate is released how long does he have to report to the parol officer they assign him? IS he allowed to parol to a different city than the one he used to live at??
Old 06-26-2009, 07:35 PM

Usual directions for reporting are within 24 hours, but I would recommend immediately and in the morning, unless it's a holiday.
Provided someone in the city where the Offender wants to live is willing to sponsor them, they can live there. Provided, of course, it's the same state. A different state will lead to what's called an Interstate Compact Transfer.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:29 PM

I have a question? i am new at all this my husband has been in for 13 months and got granted parole for december 2009, but i got a call from parole board to verify residential placement and employement with my mothers company and after they approved it i was told he is coming home in about 2-3 weeks and 6 at the longest. i am wondering if anyone knows why they would move up his parole????
Old 07-10-2009, 06:14 PM

He could have gotten the award of some good time, a miscalculation or maybe a misconduct violation, which took away some good time, was removed from his record.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the info...extremely helpful. On Monday someone is coming to my house to verify the address and interview me (I guess). If all goes well, does this mean he might be coming home? How soon after Monday can he be released to our home? Sorry if you have to repeat yourself. Thanks so much!
Old 07-11-2009, 01:00 AM

He could be getting released (based on the interview with you) or he could stay in. The residence check-out isn't a certainty of parole.
If the residence is clear and if he's authorized for parole, then there could be a delay from anywhere between 3-8 weeks, or even longer. He will know more on the release date from the info he gets from his case worker.
The Following User Says Thank You to Igor Louis For This Useful Post:
mywife19 (07-11-2009)
Old 07-13-2009, 12:54 PM

Default ***reply to early release question****

Yes, well i had a phone interview and employement for my husband which my mother had with them since its her business and the parole officer which will be his parole officer when he is released said he should be home in 2-3 weeks but will definetly be home by 6 weeks the latest, and she gave me her cell to call in 3 weeks if he wasnt home. and yes if your having a interview then he is coming within 6 weeks well at least thats what they told me that they do not do house and employement checks way in advance, so when is yours supposed to be getting released??? my husband was originally dec. but now its very very soon so 5 months early? Well would just like to see your story to compare and see, thanks hope this helps you out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywife19 View Post
Thanks for the info...extremely helpful. On Monday someone is coming to my house to verify the address and interview me (I guess). If all goes well, does this mean he might be coming home? How soon after Monday can he be released to our home? Sorry if you have to repeat yourself. Thanks so much!
Old 07-13-2009, 12:56 PM

Well the parole officer told me he is coming home within 6 weeks, but i was wondering will they let him know? because as of right now he does not know until he recieves my letter, so he has a case worker that will tell him? thanks for the help
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Louis View Post
He could be getting released (based on the interview with you) or he could stay in. The residence check-out isn't a certainty of parole.
If the residence is clear and if he's authorized for parole, then there could be a delay from anywhere between 3-8 weeks, or even longer. He will know more on the release date from the info he gets from his case worker.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:55 PM

If the Officer said 6 weeks, go with that. If they give a clear and definitive number like that, then they've got some good info.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:15 AM

Let me ask a question. If my husband got a FR-6 and the program that he is attending is 6 month why they can't give him a date at to when he will be release. The only thing I get when I call the inmate information line is he will not be release before Feb 2010.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,179 Times in 2,585 Posts

If the not before date is Feb 2010 then he won't be released before that date. If he finishes the class they have given him in say Nov. or Dec. he still won't be home until Feb. It seems they could free up more beds if they released them at the end of their program but that is just how TX does things! Come on FEB!

Help Desk

Super Moderator: Texas, Capital Punishment, Hurricanes, Visitation, Prison Evacuations, Parents With Children In Prison
Old 07-19-2009, 01:46 PM

Thanked 1,701 Times in 851 Posts

What people need to understand about parole is that one is still serving their sentence, just living in a different location. You DO NOT have the same rights and freedoms as other citizens.

There are different requirements for different people. Mine was very strict and I could not even leave the house to go to the grocery store without advance permission. in fact, that is what led to me being violated and returned to prison. I really didn't mind too much, because I had no freedom anyway, so it was all just prison to me.

Not all paroles are that strict. You need to go over your conditions of parole very carefully and understand that they mean business. If there is a question, ask your supervising officer before acting. Yes, taking an out of town trip or changing addresses is one way people get violated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark2008 For This Useful Post:
mywife19 (07-20-2009)