Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in California should be posted here.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:45 PM

Question Help! Please-how will they calculate his release date???

Hello, everyone i just had a few questions. My boyfriend was just transferred to Wasco around March the 13th his sentence was 16(488 days) months state prison with 418 days credit and he has 11 days in Wasco. It all = to 422 days so far. I haven't spoken to him since he was transfered and i believe he is in the reception stage. My question is how will they calculate his release date??? & is he able to write to me because i haven't received a letter from him (which is odd). Will he be considered a "a turn around", since he doesn't have much time to serve? thanks for your help will he be able to let us know what his realese date, after he finds out? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2008, 04:55 PM

Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,469 Posts

He might not be removed from reception (and will get paroled from there )since he has little time to complete. It usually takes at least a month to get out of reception, and I hear that 2 months is becoming more common.
They can write from reception, but they have to in fact arrive before they can send mail. It might have taken a while to transport and be checked in, and then there's the US mail delay back to you.
He likely won't be able to call you from Reception, although you might hear from him just prior to release when he's going through the parole process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LatinGoddess~
Hello, everyone i just had a few questions. My boyfriend was just transferred to Wasco around March the 13th his sentence was 16(488 days) months state prison with 418 days credit and he has 11 days in Wasco. It all = to 422 days so far. I haven't spoken to him since he was transfered and i believe he is in the reception stage. My question is how will they calculate his release date??? & is he able to write to me because i haven't received a letter from him (which is odd). Will he be considered a "a turn around", since he doesn't have much time to serve? thanks for your help will he be able to let us know what his realese date, after he finds out? Thanks
Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 PM

Oh ok I see. That all makes sence. Thanks for the help. Hopefully I do hear from him soon. Another question, if you don't mind, is reception that bad??? Like are there a lot of fights ect. Thanks
Old 03-25-2008, 07:27 PM

It is a zoo, very noisy, and everyone is bored out of their minds. There isn't much gang stuff going on because people are just passing through. I haven't heard that it was a particulaly dangerous place. There can be problems with raging mental health problems that haven't been dealt with yet, and resulting misbehavior (but those problems aren't limited to the staff who work there. The inmates have unresolved issues as well.)

He'll come out physically fine. The odds are very much with him.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:27 PM

Well, thanks so much for your time i appreciate it
Old 03-26-2008, 12:56 AM

Thanked 4,616 Times in 1,700 Posts

There can be problems with raging mental health problems that haven't been dealt with yet, and resulting misbehavior (but those problems aren't limited to the staff who work there. The inmates have unresolved issues as well.)

Gryphon, I love ya more and more. I'd really like to see you working the court room, you must be good for at least a few laughs.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kima
you must be good for at least a few laughs.
As much as possible, I try to make court a fun place to be, and try to cultivate an atmosphere that promotes everyone pulling on the same oar to promote a just result. However, the environment I want to promote emphasizes compassion, social justice, and understanding (while de-emphasizing warehousing and "eye for an eye" philosophy.)

Therefore, courtroom humor must be tactical. Humor tends to make the object of humor hunker down and try to strike back, no matter how good the joke is (or how true). Making people defensive is a distraction to take them off topic or can make them less effective when they argue; but it is a poor way to get them to decide that what they want to accomplish on a case is (apparently) just coincidentaly what I wanted to see happen. In negotiating a difficult case, it's best to bring the opponent around to your logical conclusion (and then congratulating them on their fabulous case analysis). Humor usually is an obstacle to negotiation in a court setting.

However, humor is great if the case acts are so stupid that the Judge laughs. No one ever got an upper term from a laughing judge. Laughing judges are likely to impose low terms or offer probation grants with local time. Going for a laughing Judge and failing can put the case in a very poor negotiation position. The defense attorney then only managed to highlight that teh defendant is incorrigably criminal. Under these circumstances, the lawyer has to know what's funny and (in contrast) what's merely a sad state of affairs. Humor can't be overplayed.

Humor in front of juries is a great tool, but there's a line that can be crossed. Humor can be used to highlight a point, but the point has to first be made. The attorney has to be careful about whether the jury will tolerate any disrespect, so it's OK to make a lying witness seem funny but not OK to disrespect the justice system as a whole. The attorney can make some fun of a crazy judge, but not one the jury respects.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Help Please. Ok my boyfriend was sentenced to 16 months state prison on Febuary 19 with 394 days credit, and an additional 36 days that he's done since his court day. So now he was transferred to Wasco State on March 13th. & i haven't talked to him since and i wanted someone to help try and calculate he's realese date. please Thanks.
Not more than 466 days total credit 394+ (36x2)=466. 480-466=24 days left to serve beginning 3/13/08.
Earliest looks like 4/6/08. Latest is a little over a month longer than that. The difference is how transportation conduct credits might be calculated (Day for day? 50%)
Old 03-26-2008, 03:01 PM

Actually I came up with something a little different. Because isn't 16 months about 547 days??? I think. Or is it less??? So then subtract a total of 430 leaves about 117 days I've also heard that 16 months is 480 days. Why is that?

Old 03-26-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Actually I came up with something a little different. Because isn't 16 months about 547 days??? I think. Or is it less??? So then subtract a total of 430 leaves about 117 days I've also heard that 16 months is 480 days. Why is that?
CDCR uses 30 day months when they calculate 16 mos. 16x30=480.
If he only gets day for day during transport, that's 430 days total local credit subtracted from the 480. However, today I feel like an optimist and gave him haldf time (50%) on the transport time. That gave him the earliest possible release date, but it could be longer if he didn't get conduct credit during transport. This issue of transportation conduct credits should resolve soon, but I can't say for sure wha teh answer is going to be. Until it resolves, it'll be hard to predict exact out dates until CDCR does their own math.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:51 PM

This is good news then. Because I had heard people mentioning 480 days but wasn't sure why. Thanks It all makes sence now . so then if it's day by day it would be about 50 days remaining, give or take. And if it's 50% it would be about 25 days remeining well, i hope it's fifity then

I meant I hope it's 50% then sorry lol

Old 03-27-2008, 06:57 PM

that's true cause it usually takes a month to get out of reception.