Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of New Jersey, including lockdowns.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:26 PM

Default Brother in Lockdown-Rahway,East Jersey State Prison

I'm very new to this (1st day here, and 1st post). My brother went away about 2 years ago. He gets parolle next August. I was very upset about it. I use to get 2 letters a week from him when he was in Elizabeth Prison, NJ, but when he got transferred to Yardsville (G.S.Y.F.) I got a letter saying that he would not be able to wright me anymore (didn't say why). I found out 2-3 days ago he was transfered to Rahway Prison (East Jersey State Prison). They told me my brother was being held in lockdown and was considered dangerous. (my brother has never hurt anyone in his life.) and that he was in transferred there cause of an "infraction" but wouldn't tell me what it was. Is there someone I can contact to find out? How do I know what he did?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO BillieSpring- so glad you found us ! I am moving your post to the New Jersey Forum as a member there might be able to help you with the information you need.(I am sorry to hear about what has happened to your brother. i know how worrying it can be when you can't find out what is going on.Please come back to the Siblings Forum when you find out -great place to come to for support.)
Old 11-07-2005, 09:03 AM
WRITER/PRISON ADVOCATE

Welcome to PTO

CATHERINE
Old 11-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Account Closed

Welcome to PTO. My man is also in Rahway although he is not inn lockup. He has been there though. I don't know exactly what to tell you or even if anyone you called there would tell you. But I suggest you call the social worker and ask. They may be able to tell you something. The main number there is 732-499-5010. Listen to the menu and push the number for social services.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:37 PM
The Tatt'd Prosecutor

A social worker should be able to tell you, but with the privacy laws, you might not get the full story.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:08 AM
...over easy
Donation Award 

BTW, even if he is locked up, he should be able to write [although this may be difficult] and he can make calls once his phone list is re-approved. And, if he puts you on a visiting list, you can go see him. There are different visiting restrictions for lockup, however. Ask the social worker for this type of information, too. In addition to talking with a SWer, also try the chaplain's office. If nothing else, you can ask them to check in on your brother to make sure he is ok.

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 11-08-2005, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone. I didn't know I could ask them to check up on him. He use to be in Elizabeth and when I would ask about him I'd get "We don't talk to the prisners, nor will we ask him anything." That was a general response. Last I talked to the social worker they said he was only allowed to have one visit a month. I have yet to have a contact visit with him (what I wouldn't do just to hug him). I will have to ask for the Chaplain's office when I call today. And again thanks guys for the information. I'm so happy I now have a place to get my feelings out.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieSpring
Thanks for the tips everyone. I didn't know I could ask them to check up on him. He use to be in Elizabeth and when I would ask about him I'd get "We don't talk to the prisners, nor will we ask him anything." That was a general response. Last I talked to the social worker they said he was only allowed to have one visit a month. I have yet to have a contact visit with him (what I wouldn't do just to hug him). I will have to ask for the Chaplain's office when I call today. And again thanks guys for the information. I'm so happy I now have a place to get my feelings out.
If he is in ad/seg he can have just one visit a month while he is on level one. But it is a window visit. Depending on how long they gave him for ad/seg time he would get 2 visits a month once he gets to level two. And by the way, the guards that work in the as/seg visiting area are the nicest CO's you could deal with. All NJ co's should be trained by them. As long as a visitor does not give them any trouble they are the most respectful and helpful guys there.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:41 PM

what is ad/seg and or as/seg. I'm still kinda new, so I don't know what these terms mean. =P
Old 11-10-2005, 04:57 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieSpring
what is ad/seg and or as/seg. I'm still kinda new, so I don't know what these terms mean. =P
It is administrative segregation. It's a punishment. You said he was in lock up. Now that could mean he is in the hole for whatever he did ir ad/seg. If he is in the hole,he will be able to write to you and get mail but he will not be able to call you or have visits. But if he had done his time in the hole and gone to prison courtline for his charge then he may be in ad/seg and that is when he can start to get his privilages back. If he is in the hole and goes to courtline and beats his charge then he would go back into general population. You can PM me if you have more questions.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:32 AM
The Tatt'd Prosecutor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPhil
If he is in ad/seg he can have just one visit a month while he is on level one. But it is a window visit. Depending on how long they gave him for ad/seg time he would get 2 visits a month once he gets to level two. And by the way, the guards that work in the as/seg visiting area are the nicest CO's you could deal with. All NJ co's should be trained by them. As long as a visitor does not give them any trouble they are the most respectful and helpful guys there.
Have visits in ad-seg changed that much? I used to visit my husband every week when he was there. First it was a Monday visit, then a Thursday visit and finally a Sunday visit. The Sunday visits were easier because I didn't have to work.
What's with the levels? That seems crazy!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Account Closed

When they first get to ad/seg they are on level one. They only get one visit a month. Depending on what cell they are in is what determines the day of the week you can visit. Phil was on the flats so his visits were Monday. Then they go to level 2 if they are good little boys and that is when they start geting things like their tv back and 2 visits a month. Also on level one they are allowed on phone call a week. I think it took 60 days to get to level 2. So yeah, I guess maybe it has changed. I guess if they are there long enough to reach level four they get visits every week.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:58 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

The levels were put in place as a "spare the rod" behavior modification-type program. It seems there were some guys who were just as happy to stay in ad seg b/c it was peaceful and comfortable [especially if you are already in a super max prison like Trenton and are locked down 23hr/day]; the levels are supposed to be a deterant to getting a charge. Levels have been in place for a year or two--I wonder if the new system has done anything to reduce the number of prisoners getting major charges and going to ad seg?

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 11-11-2005, 05:20 AM
Account Closed

Not sure how it is working out as far as deterring the prisoners but MrPhil was there in the winter of 2003 so it has been in place for a while at Rahway.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:54 AM
loved!

Thanked 1,148 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egs
The levels were put in place as a "spare the rod" behavior modification-type program. It seems there were some guys who were just as happy to stay in ad seg b/c it was peaceful and comfortable [especially if you are already in a super max prison like Trenton and are locked down 23hr/day]; the levels are supposed to be a deterant to getting a charge. Levels have been in place for a year or two--I wonder if the new system has done anything to reduce the number of prisoners getting major charges and going to ad seg?
that's a great question. probably not...i hear of alot of guys who still LOVE to go to lock ad/seg...so something probably isn't working correctly lol.